Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

We've been trying the new woodstove the past few nights trying to figure out how to run it properly. It's a far cry from the fireplace or the kitchen woodstove. It's an airtight, non-catalytic, with an air adjustment lever.
It takes quite a while to get it going well, though when it starts drawing well it really throws some heat. It really hasn't been terribly cold yet it was down to about 28 last night here. The stove kept the whole house at around 68 degrees with no help from the oil furnace. It also is very miserly on wood too. I only brought in two carriers full of wood all afternon and evening and still had some left this morning! To us that's great, after bailing load after load into a fireplace for many years. The stove is covered in soapstone and really re-radiates the heat for a long time. So far so good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times
this is my second season using wood stove not an expert or anything, i find out air adjustment lever even set it at max. still not enough air flow, i end up leave the ash door open a little bit when first start fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We've been trying the new woodstove the past few nights trying to figure out how to run it properly. It's a far cry from the fireplace or the kitchen woodstove. It's an airtight, non-catalytic, with an air adjustment lever.
It takes quite a while to get it going well, though when it starts drawing well it really throws some heat. It really hasn't been terribly cold yet it was down to about 28 last night here. The stove kept the whole house at around 68 degrees with no help from the oil furnace. It also is very miserly on wood too. I only brought in two carriers full of wood all afternon and evening and still had some left this morning! To us that's great, after bailing load after load into a fireplace for many years. The stove is covered in soapstone and really re-radiates the heat for a long time. So far so good!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Yep, we really cranked up our new pellet stove last night. First "hard" freeze of the season, and not much above your temp, Maineah. We do have a wood stove but as it's connected to the same flue as our oil furnace, we don't use it, and never have. Which is why we got the pellet stove!

Also looking to try the new propane heater. I figure by January, we'll have both going - and the oil burner OFF. I expect oil prices to rise again after the election. Maybe they won't, but I'm sitting on a full 275-gal tank, and trying to not use it till I really need to...and hoping for a nice Indian summer soon!

In the most perfect of all worlds, I'd have just the soapstone wood stove!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM

181 posts, read 485,678 times
I can't wait to be back in woodstove country again!!

Something I've been wondering for awhile... when I was a kid, I used to have sleepovers with a family who heated rocks on the stove, then put them in their beds. I think they were soapstones. This is a silly question, but where does one get soapstones?? Do you just have to know what they look like & go find some outdoors? Are they sold someplace? I've always loved the idea.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Nor'Eastah, what kind of propane heater and why pick the one you have.

sorry Maineah, don't mean to hijact the tread, just a quick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yep, we really cranked up our new pellet stove last night. First "hard" freeze of the season, and not much above your temp, Maineah. We do have a wood stove but as it's connected to the same flue as our oil furnace, we don't use it, and never have. Which is why we got the pellet stove!

Also looking to try the new propane heater. I figure by January, we'll have both going - and the oil burner OFF. I expect oil prices to rise again after the election. Maybe they won't, but I'm sitting on a full 275-gal tank, and trying to not use it till I really need to...and hoping for a nice Indian summer soon!

In the most perfect of all worlds, I'd have just the soapstone wood stove!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLobster View Post
I can't wait to be back in woodstove country again!!

Something I've been wondering for awhile... when I was a kid, I used to have sleepovers with a family who heated rocks on the stove, then put them in their beds. I think they were soapstones. This is a silly question, but where does one get soapstones?? Do you just have to know what they look like & go find some outdoors? Are they sold someplace? I've always loved the idea.
Look up bed warmers on eBay

Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post

sorry Maineah, don't mean to hijact the tread, just a quick one.
I don't consider it a hijacking boonskyler! Ask away!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:35 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
Hi boon, we bought a Monitor. Why? Because it was so highly recommended on this forum! I'd like to experiment with different types of heat, which I never did before...I would just put oil in the tank, then more oil, etc.

But I think when we move up to Maine, given that heating is so very important up there (heck, it's pretty important here in RI!), it would be wise to have 3-4 different types of heat, in case one fails. Also, a couple of those should not require electricity, in case the power goes out.

So that's all we've done so far. We also have smaller, portable propane heaters made by Mr. Heater, called the Big Buddy. We like those a lot, when it isn't too cold out, or when I'm out in a small place like the garage, and need some heat! I highly recommend those!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 PM

thanks Nor'Eastah,
when we move to Maine wood stove would be our primary source of heating, but would like other source on heating as a back up(a small system) when we away or just too lazy that day. i am very happy with set up here in VA but what i learn from this forum the heat pump will not work in Maine.
we used Mr Heater during construction, it is lound and not recommended for enclose area.

boon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Hi boon, we bought a Monitor. Why? Because it was so highly recommended on this forum! I'd like to experiment with different types of heat, which I never did before...I would just put oil in the tank, then more oil, etc.

But I think when we move up to Maine, given that heating is so very important up there (heck, it's pretty important here in RI!), it would be wise to have 3-4 different types of heat, in case one fails. Also, a couple of those should not require electricity, in case the power goes out.

So that's all we've done so far. We also have smaller, portable propane heaters made by Mr. Heater, called the Big Buddy. We like those a lot, when it isn't too cold out, or when I'm out in a small place like the garage, and need some heat! I highly recommend those!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
You can sometimes find soapstones in antique shops. Bricks work too. Make sure you wrap either ones in a towel.A large oval stone from a beach or a gravel pit works really well because you won't stub your toe on a corner.

(Why do Mainers know this stuff anyway?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine