Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times

Advertisements

Now wait a minute...

I have had a CPA do my taxes every year for the past decade. Although I live in WV, the bulk of my income comes from FL. Some of my income comes from ME. CPA knows that. I pay WV income tax only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,926 times
Get a new hampshire address/ pobox and use that on your federal taxes!!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gill MD.S.F.A View Post
Get a new hampshire address/ pobox and use that on your federal taxes!!
What good will that do for the OP Federal income taxes?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
The good doctor needs to have his head examined.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Maine will tax you any way they can. In fact they're going to use this forum to tax people who are THINKING about moving here!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You pay income tax to the state that you work in. Period. You can live all the that you want in Maine; but if you 'work' in New Hampshire or Delaware or Washington or the effin Moon, then you pay your income tax to them.
That is not true. I worked in many states when I worked for the railroad, but the railroad only sent my income tax to the state of Maine because that was my residency. This was even true when I worked in Canada or Mexico...you had to get a temp work visa, but I was never taxed in those countries.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
That is not true. I worked in many states when I worked for the railroad, but the railroad only sent my income tax to the state of Maine because that was my residency. This was even true when I worked in Canada or Mexico...you had to get a temp work visa, but I was never taxed in those countries.
First of all a CPA is not well versed in traveling taxing or taxes in general. They are CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS. Anyone who has complicated taxes needs an ENROLLED AGENT to do his.her taxes. They take a test given by the IRS and they are versed in complicated matters.

I worked of 6.5 as a traveling RN. You file all your out-of-state taxes first and then you pay Maine. Maine pro rates what you owe by what you've paid to other states. It depends on how much you make in every state as to how much you owe that state. And most states in which you are not a resident only make you pay taxes on the money you earnt in their state. IF you are resident of Maine you pay taxes on every state you've worked in. Also, I think this still pertains. If you work at PNSY, live in NH, and your spouse works in NH but you file jointly Maine will tax the spouses income too. Maine, the way life should be.. LOL

You probably didn't make enough money iin anyone state to need to pay taxes. I believe you have to make $15k in CT in order to pay taxes there. And remember there are several states without income taxes.

As I traveled 13 weeks at a time there were several years that I had to file 6 income taxes. 1 federal, 4 states I worked in, and Maine.

I was spoiled this year, only did Fed and Maine. Was home all last year.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
maine will tax you any way they can. In fact they're going to use this forum to tax people who are thinking about moving here!
I don't think it can be made to be a quagmire anymore than it already appears to be.

Last edited by cebdark; 03-21-2009 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
99%of my work is done out side of maine.but i pay maine tax.maine has a catch 22 law.
if you live in maine it does not matter what state you work in you have to pay maine's tax.now here's the catch.if you live out side of maine and think your going to get away with out paying maine's tax your wrong.if your state has an income tax you can only hope that they will prorate it,if not you pay both.im an expert on living in maine and working out side it.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I live in Maine. For several years I worked for a Massachusetts company in Canada. I paid only federal and Maine income taxes. I crossed the border as many as 4 times a week at every crossing from Coburn Gore to Calais. They all knew me. I had no problems except when I brought a young person with me. Then they wanted to search everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: