Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 AM

47,855 posts, read 21,881,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforahome View Post
Unfortunately with the economy and all, work on the Saco Island area has slowed to a crawl Hopefully it will pick up speed again soon though
I am hoping for that! I thnk Saco is a jewel.....we recently took the train up the coast to Rockland and had a wonderful day, but....as far as I am concerned....it has nothing on Saco.....when Saco Island gets fully rented and operational....it will rival anythng in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,753,315 times
^I don't doubt that. have you been to the new pub there? fantastic little place. I wish they would liven up the elevated plaza space in front of the University College. The place has tons of potential though. Hopefully when times get better, work will continue to improve.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^I don't doubt that. have you been to the new pub there? fantastic little place. I wish they would liven up the elevated plaza space in front of the University College. The place has tons of potential though. Hopefully when times get better, work will continue to improve.
Yes the brepub is really good! Good foor and the beer is good too!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
I got to see the pictures. Wow my internet server must be using a new hamster wheel for the ole hamster.

Sometimes ( change ) can be bad. Normally good, helps everyone. But with Lewiston I don't ever recall good talk about it since wayyyyyy back.
It is a shame.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I actually do have a "connection" to Lewiston. Having grown up in Topsham, we were just 16 miles down the road from Lewiston. An easy 20 minute ride back in the day. I also worked for Beans there for many years in one of the bldgs featured in the pics.

The rehabs of the old mills are a wonderful thing for the city. Hopefully they will eventually bring in some large companies and employ some of the residents.
Actually they are full....banks have been the primary employeer along with restaurants and offices.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 AM

88 posts, read 220,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
I work in Lewiston-Auburn a lot and I can't stand it. Lewiston has gotten so dirty and half the places never seem safe. I am suppose to be over on Peirce St assessing the burnt apartment building, but I refuse to get out of the car there.
Isen't is a shame that in a country let alone a state like Maine, you don't want to go into a area because of criminal elements that the courts let run loose to terrorize good people.

This is daily life down here in CT, when you go out you have to bring a couple friends along, maybe you know them SMITH and WESSON.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
Thank you for posting those pics! I am from there and it makes me realize that I need to be taking a trip down to see friends. I try to go down every couple of months. I miss it terribly. I love living in this area but miss "home". There are some areas that are run down but there are also areas that have come a long long way recently. Lisbon Street actually being one of the areas that have been cleaned up and several new businesses have opened there as well as a college. All cities have good and bad areas and Lewiston is no exception. However as with all cities, if you get out of downtown there are areas that are quiet and nice. When I was first divorced and moved to Lewiston, I lived across from the St's. Peter and Paul Basilica. That is downtown. Although it might not be the best area in the city, I always felt safe there. I then ended up buying a home that was not downtown and lived there for several years and loved it very much. If I had my way, I would move back there. Lewiston gets a bad rep sometimes. Sometimes the reputation is deserved but not always. Then again...all cities are like that I think. Sorry to ramble...thank you for the pics!
THANK YOU............. I don't want to make fun of people but I worked in Lewiston, and lived in Lewiston, there is not a single street that I would be "afraid" to walk down at night...give me a break.....you can call it depressing, you can call it poor, or even run down.......but you cannot call it unsafe...or dangerous.

Some guy mentioned not getting out of his car on what......"pierce street".......where is he from??...get a life....it's an old mill town thats poor and run down...thats it...How many old ladies that have lived in lewiston their whole life walk down pierce street to their home...but this clown is scared to get out of his car...

And if you really took a closer look at it there is a HUGE community of middle class americans living and raising their children there...sending them off to college, running their own busness and what not....My wife has 100's of friends that she grew up with that have all comeback to live and raise their family....all normal people.

I will be the first one to call Lewiston out on the problems it has and decisions that I see that bring the community down....but I will never get over how the rest of this state "mostly" likes to pick on it...Iam sorry.....but I've travelled extensively throught out Maine....I have seen many beautifull area's....and many smaller towns that are disgusting and have the same run down areas like Lewiston, but with out the nice areas Lewiston has....with out the culture, with out JOBS, and.....with out the history!....

Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
Isen't is a shame that in a country let alone a state like Maine, you don't want to go into a area because of criminal elements that the courts let run loose to terrorize good people.

This is daily life down here in CT, when you go out you have to bring a couple friends along, maybe you know them SMITH and WESSON.
I'm with fly on this one Roadkill. Some people don't like Lewiston, like cdodge, and that's fine. BUT there is no where there that I'd feel unsafe. Lewiston for some reason seems to take a lot of crap, and I for one can't quite figure out why. It's certainly an unearned reputation. And like cdodge's post, it's mostly opinion, which is fine.... but misleading too when things aren't based in fact. It was misleading to you... because now you've formed an opinion of that area.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 PM

176 posts, read 594,999 times
On a differant note, does anyone know of any planned developments in Lewiston? It didn't look like much was going on, but I could be wrong..

Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM

566 posts, read 1,411,726 times
Great post fly. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine