Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Just before sunrise at 5 AM in Lincoln many years ago I pulled up at the blinking light and there was a man on his hands and knees planting geraniums at the WWI memorial statue on Main Street. I ran the window down and thanked the man. He said, "I was too young for WWI and too old for WWII. I never served. This needs to be done. Don't tell anybody."

I have never divulged the man's name since he asked me not to, but he is a wealthy gentleman who was there that day getting his hands dirty for those who served. Only in Maine would I expect to see something like that. In an hour it will be the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day. I'll have a moment of silence as I expect that man will.
THANK YOU SO MUCH NMLM FOR THIS GREAT

THREAD & POST!!BEAUTIFULLY SAID!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!WE APPRECIATE & THANK YOU!

WELCOME HOME AS WELL!

I was able to watch how EUROPE REMEMBERS

exactly at the 11th HOUR, 11th DAY, 11th MONTH

They had a BEAUTIFUL service, of how EUROPE REMEMBERS WWI

on its 90th ANNIVERSARY!It was BEAUTIFUL! I was touched by it all!

They had 3 Men that had SERVED in WWI, each over 100 years old!

with combined ages of 330! They represented the AIR FORCE, ARMY

NAVY! It was truly something!!!

THANK YOU FOR SERVING NMLM

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THESE LOVELY POSTS WITH US!

WELCOME HOME!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!MAY GOD BLESS YOU!

GREAT POSTS EVERYONE!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL THAT HAVE SERVED OUR COUNTRY!!

MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

HAPPY ARMISTICE DAY TO ALL READING THIS!!

Take gentle care!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 11-11-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE!:0)THANK YOU!:0)WELCOME HOME!:0)THANK YOU FOR LOVELY POSTS!:0)PEACE!:0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Toasting my fellow cold warriors today, this ones for you.

An old friend of mine in the business died recently. He was a young intelligence officer in the battle of the Hurtgen Forrest.

We are loosing the Vets of WWII at the rate of about 1200 daily. Just look in any newspaper to see the flags in their obituaries.

I salute the greatest generation today!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:35 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
I hope you all had a wonderful Veterans Day. Thank you.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
Thumbs up THANK YOU FOREST!:0) Thank you! THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR VETERANS!:0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, to all of my fellow veterans.

I salute you, and offer you a beer. I will be at the VFW in Old Town tomorrow.

ET1 (SS) Galen Young
US Navy retired

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE FOREST!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE!!SIR, WE APPRECIATE YOU!

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE VETERANS READING THIS!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Take care!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 11-14-2008 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL! :0) SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0) THANK YOU MAINE ANGELS!:0) YOU ALL ROCK!:0)CHEERS TO YOU!:)

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
I have to say, that "Veteran's Day" doesn't feel like a 'real' holiday to me. *I* had to work, and after work I went to the bank with my paycheck...but *they* weren't working, the bank was closed. For some strange reason, it doesn't quite seem fair.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have to say, that "Veteran's Day" doesn't feel like a 'real' holiday to me. *I* had to work, and after work I went to the bank with my paycheck...but *they* weren't working, the bank was closed. For some strange reason, it doesn't quite seem fair.
I hear you.

One evening, the first 4july after I retired, we walked from our house to a bluff that over looked the city fireworks display, and sat on the grass to watch.

I had a hard time just sitting there.

I was fighting the urge to direct traffic, or to know where all of the security was stationed, to have a 'situational awareness'.

And I realized that I was 42, and I had not sat to enjoy a fireworks show since I was a child. Most 4Julys I had been underwater for, and simply missed. For some we were stationed overseas, and missed. And for 6 of my 4Julys I had Law Enforcement duties and was 'working' them.

I still feel lost during most holidays.

My Dw works on-base, they rarely close, so she works the holidays.

I am not entirely sure what a 'real' holiday should feel like.

I grew up during Vietnam, and I do not recall any celebrations for Veteran's Day when I was a kid. My grandparents and parents were not vets. My elder brothers were each drafted into Vietnam, I think that the way my family treated vets was more like it was a disease, then anything to be celebrated.

4July was the annual church picnic: softball and potluck down by the river. I do not recall anything happening for Veteran's Day, when I was young.

I enlisted in the Navy when I was a senior in Highschool, my parents were entirely against it.

During my first few years in the Navy, what I saw of American attitudes toward the military was not a favourable attitude.

Europeans treated our military very well, not like they were treated stateside.

Decades later that all changed, with Desert Storm folks came out and began to insist that they liked our military. The same folks who would spit on us 10 years before.

Veteran's Day is on the calendar, but I do not feel like it is a holiday.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM

143 posts, read 252,790 times
I am grateful to all who have served/are serving to keep this country united and safe. The sacrifices you made/make are almost unfathomable. You are precious to all of us. God bless you all from one who has never known the horrors of war on a personal level, but prays that those who do find comfort in knowing that they are supported by so many of us. Thx for starting this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine