Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 04:58 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times

Advertisements

Still hunting! This A.M. I heard a deer not far from me in the heath until the gravel truck in the nearby site showed up and I lost track. This afternoon I heard a couple shots beyond the other forested side of the heath. @%^%$
The neighbors must have got my deer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Keep going! Just a few days left! Tomorrow looks to be a washout, Wednesday looks better.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Steve shot a small bear a few minutes ago. Now I need to find someone to butcher it and tan the hide for me.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
WOW!!! How cool is that!!!????!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Steve shot a small bear a few minutes ago. Now I need to find someone to butcher it and tan the hide for me.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Congratulations! Good for Steve! Dry out the gall bladder it's worth $$$.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM

We knew the odds were in his favor when he left this morning so he bought the tag on his way to the coast. Bear used to be part of your regular license, now it's an extra $27.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
We knew the odds were in his favor when he left this morning so he bought the tag on his way to the coast. Bear used to be part of your regular license, now it's an extra $27.
I don't even know why they bother selling you a license anymore.You have to ADD everything!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,211 times
Quote:
All right, naive, "from away" question.............do you eat bear?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I don't even know why they bother selling you a license anymore.You have to ADD everything!
Steve called to have me look it up online to be sure. How new is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
All right, naive, "from away" question.............do you eat bear?
A lot of not from away folks probably wonder too! I do eat bear but we don't know about Steve and Taylor yet. Our other daughter is a vegetarian. Steve and Taylor have never tried it. This is the first bear Steve's shot. There were stories of stinky, horrible tasting bears but they were back in the old dump days when bears did eat and practically live in our dumps. I don't care for meat from an older bear (nor do I care for meat from most older animals) but a young animal is tender and mild.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 AM

The hunting licenses have been more and more al-la-cart every year since the 70's. It started with the Maine pheasant stamp. There was a seperate woodcock stamp for a while. There was always the Federal Duck stamp. There was a lowering of the daily duck limit that drove most Mainers out of the sport. It isn't worth setting up $1000 worth of decoys, buying a boat, training a dog and buying $1000 worth of Gore-Tex gear to shoot ONE duck! Especially when the folks in the Eastern Flyway down south can still shoot half a dozen. POLITICS. Then came the doe permits. Why?? I don't know, seems to me a shorter open season would work as well. We used to have two weeks of deer hunting and any deer was ok to shoot. Again Politics. They stretch out the season, permit it to death, in order for the guides and lodges to make more money. Bear have always been regulated . If there were a lot taken in September they would close the fall season. I always felt that bear should be an extra on the license and not a given so that part doesn't bother me. Turkeys are another thing, they should be included in the license fee and you should be allowed one a day!

Some folks like bear some don't. I don't eat bear so I don't shoot them.....my choice. I don't care for ducks or geese much either! Most of my hunting friends hunt bear and eat them regularly. Thats why there's chocolate and vanilla!

Last edited by Maineah; 11-25-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine