U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 AM

5,636 posts, read 7,255,862 times
lol Thanks NMLM. I NEEDED a good laugh. Maybe not quite THAT bad! At one point when I got into such thick raspberry canes I couldn't move without tripping I was getting pissy. I knew where I wanted to go but I couldn't find a way to get there. Then when I got out of them I couldn't find a deer trail, had to resort to a coyote trail, and the woods were so thick I couldn't see more than 5', I wasn't having fun anymore. At one point I stood in 3" of water and said outloud, "Dammit! I'm going home!" And I did. Amazing what a cup of coffee and husband who doesn't ask questions when I have "that" look on my face will do for a girl.

NMLM, you know Gram's Place? She's coming to get me at 1 o'clock. We're going out til dark.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM

5,636 posts, read 7,255,862 times
btw, it wasn't the thick woods that had me cursing. It was the buck that crossed the road behind me. Paved road, too close to my neighbors' home, between me and Steve. It went into the woods behind our house and no matter what we tried, we couldn't find him.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,680,526 times
I tagged 2 today. An 8 pointer that weighed 155 and another shot at 9 yesterday morning, but wasn't found till 10 this morning. At sunrise he walked within 50' of him, but the deer had it's buttocks eaten off by a bobcat and the cat covered the deer under leaves. Figured he lost about 4 lbs. of meat. The deer weighed in at 175 and was a 7-pointer.
12 deer have been tagged at my place this year, which isn't bad considering few people are hunting, (especially out of staters), and in my zone, doe permits were not given out.
FAQ

Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM

8,748 posts, read 10,938,992 times
It's raining here now and I'm done until it ends!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,037,481 times
I have to share this. I posted earlier that my brother got a 10 pt. buck the other day.
This morning I had an email from my neice of the deer in the back of my brother's truck. Nothing special except we're all giving him a hard time as his wife always gets her deer first.

In the background of the truck body I could see two lobster traps, so I just HAD to email him and ask him if he had to use one of the traps to catch the deer. Not sure if he will email me back or call me. LOL

AustinB, next time you see him, tell him you heard he catches deer in lobster traps.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,805,910 times
Sat at one of my favored spots overlooking a wetland. After hearing what I think were several deer coming and going across the stream I figured I'd wait for some others to perhaps be drawn in. But the crunching and crashing I heard next was not a deer but a civil engineer(?) measuring markers around the wetland. I figured it's now after 4:00p.m. getting dark, and worrying about where that fool is now, I started to leave only to hear the deer that he had apparently spooked returning on my side of the bank in the fog. No view, no shot!! AAAAArrrgh!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM

21,278 posts, read 4,895,482 times
Don't quit you two. Success is failure turned inside out. It'll come to you yet. You're both workin' it, so it will be. Rest up.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,938,992 times
Nobody is giving up! We're at halftime now! Time to regroup, freshen the scrapes move the tree stands,
shake the ticks out of our clothes and re-grease the boots.
My buddy jumped one this afternoon, it went into a swamp....one came out of that same swamp after dark tonight and was hit by a car! Ironically it happened just when my buddy was on his way home. He called me to take a walk down there in the morning to see if the deer was laying by the road. He said the car really nailed it. Broken grill and punched out headlight. Hopefully they came back and found the deer tonight.
I'll check it out in the AM

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,520,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Nobody is giving up! We're at halftime now! Time to regroup, freshen the scrapes move the tree stands,
shake the ticks out of our clothes and re-grease the boots.
My buddy jumped one this afternoon, it went into a swamp....one came out of that same swamp after dark tonight and was hit by a car! Ironically it happened just when my buddy was on his way home. He called me to take a walk down there in the morning to see if the deer was laying by the road. He said the car really nailed it. Broken grill and punched out headlight. Hopefully they came back and found the deer tonight.
I'll check it out in the AM
4 years ago on the last day of the season i shot a nice buck with an 30-06 and on the way home from the tag station i hit and other big deer.so after the warden left i took them both home and hung them up.the next day some people stoped by becouse they see them hanging.they asked what i shot them with ,so i said this one i got with a 30-06 and this other one i got with a 30-0 FORD so its been kind of a joke now every time i see them.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:27 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,167,413 times
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can miss something as big as a deer at only 175 yards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine