U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-11-2008, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,498 times
Default Farmington area schools

Hello,
Any insights into the schools around Farmington? (We are looking at elementary & middle schools). We would need an easy commute to Farmington, but could live in another town...
Also: I am having trouble finding the maine public school website. I'm curious about how big the schools are in that area, teacher/student ratio, etc.
Thanks for any info!!
capecodfolks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2008, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 10,390 times
hello.I live right next to farmington. The school department is very good,there is also The University of Maine in Farmington.

Unread 11-18-2008, 12:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,390 times
Me again. Farmington Schools. Mt.Blue High School.Mallet Elementary,Mt Blue Middle School

Unread 11-18-2008, 09:39 AM

5,774 posts, read 6,989,335 times
The Farmington area has good schools due to the influence of faculty members from UM Farmington. They demand goods schools. That said, you should be aware that the schools are extremely liberal and your kids will come out of there as good little environmentalists and worshipping AlGore. You need to get well away from Farmington if you want your kids to have some idea of what made our country great.

Unread 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM

5,112 posts, read 8,142,531 times
Farmington schools are decent (especially in comparison to the rest of the area). They won't be as nice as what you'd find in S.E. Mass (I'm assuming you're from Cape Cod?), but they're not bad for where they are. The facilities, particularly around Mt. Blue HS are sub-par (Mt. Blue looks as if it's at least 45% portable classrooms and cheap additions) but like NMLM said, the education is pretty good as a result of UMF's faculty push. Your kids may have many student teachers because UMF is one of the premiere universities in the region for producing teachers.

I'll also agree that Farmington is frustratingly liberal. I lean to the left, but Farminton is extreme. There are some pathetically organized protests, signs, and the all over hippie feel that you get when walking around town. That being said, it's a pretty place and reltively affordable. Even the hippies can be pretty nice and downtown is pretty (Homestead serves up a nice breakfast).

I'd go so far as to say Farmington is similar to a tiny Amherst, MA. It's even more left-leaning than many college towns, and many of the residents are kids who went to school there and never left.

I remember walking through the student center there wearing a shirt and blazer I had custom made for me in India (I saw them made by a grown man and friend of the family) for $15. Some hippie girl asked me if I knew how much the kid in the sweathshop in Taiwan got paid for making my clothes. I asked her if she'd ever left the country... she replied, "I've been to Canada, but I know all about child labor and slavery!" I told her I've visited sweatshops in India and I stood by the man who made my clothes while he made them. She didn't care, as far as she was convinced I was supporting slave labor. She probably went back to her dorm to try and save the world by toking up and listening to Phish. Extreme example, yes... while not everyone in Farmington is like that, many are.

A beautiful town right nearby is Wilton... nice lake, pretty homes, fewer hippies. Same with Industry... nice lake, nice homes, fewer hippies. Good luck!

Unread 11-29-2008, 11:33 PM

8 posts, read 13,990 times
Default Good education, but facilities need an update

The schools in Farmington offer a great education. They aren't overly populated, there's more of a focus on each student because of it. From my research over time I believe these are the populations of each school:
W.G. Mallet School (elementary K-3): 350
Cascade Brook School (elementary 4-6): 300
Mt. Blue Middle School (7-8): 400
Mt. Blue High School (9-12): 900
The downside is that the schools (except for the newly renovated middle school and fairly new cascade brook school) are in poor condition. The high school has about 15 portables, each with 2 classrooms because there's no room in the school, and it's falling apart inside. Its not the nicest but its not ghetto. They plan to renovate the high school and the very old mallet school is going to be rebuilt. The atmosphere and goal of education is great in this community though, so I would surely recommend it. Almost all of the towns that attend the middle and high school are in close proximity, but if you decided to live away from Farmington, there are other (smaller) elementary schools. sorry I was so wordy, hope this helps.

Unread 12-15-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodfolks View Post
Hello,
Any insights into the schools around Farmington? (We are looking at elementary & middle schools). We would need an easy commute to Farmington, but could live in another town...
Also: I am having trouble finding the maine public school website. I'm curious about how big the schools are in that area, teacher/student ratio, etc.
Thanks for any info!!
capecodfolks
We went through the same search, from the same part of New England....worth your patience, some outstanding teachers, music offerings are great for all ages; computerized powerschool program for monitoring progress, etc. Area school website:
[url]http://www.msad9.org/[/url]
Good luck.

Unread 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,498 times
Thanks so much for these excellent and helpful replies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine