Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 AM

44 posts, read 128,362 times

Advertisements

Okay, I need to get some new windows. I have two windows that have been here since the house was built. the others are the white vinyl that tip in so you can wash them easier. I wanted to replace them this year. But with mom in the hospital for four months the savings went down. anyway, what would be a good window to replace mine that would not be to overly expensive.

I am excited about keeping the cold air outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,316 times
There are several companies in Maine that make Energy Star compliant replacement windows. They are really good products, and in case your house has odd window sizes, it is pretty easy to have one of these outfits make the window to fit your window openings.

I have no connection with these people, but one company whose products I have seen being made is Matthews Brothers in Belfast. There are others, too.

If you go to the lumber yards they will probably have a variety of windows from a variety of manufacturers. Probably the largest brand name in windows in Maine is Andersen, which is very high line stuff, and quite expensive. They have a very strong distributor in New England, and one advantage to them is that repair and replacement parts are easy to source when needed.

You have many options and replacement windows do not need to be horribly expensive while giving excellent results. Try talking with the local lumber yard. They can help you sort through what can be quite a maze.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
We just installed 17 replacement windows in our house.
They're Andersen windows made for Home Depot.
They have full removable screens and mullions(fake window panes) between the glass.
We paid just over $4000 for them and another $1500 to get them installed.
They are much better than the old windows and aluminum combos we had before. They are not perfect though,the screen pull tabs are cheap and fall out easily, but we can remedy that problem. A few of them had problems with the seal too. You get what you pay for!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Any window that lets you Open/Close and remove the screen all from inside, is the best for us.

That way you can stay inside with your rifle, open a window and take a shot at the critters harassing your livestock.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,307 times
IMO- Harvey windows are a much better product than Andersen. We installed them in every spec we built, everyone loved them and we never got a compaint.

Find a Contractor - Windows & Door Manufacturers - Harvey (http://www.harveyind.com/asp/find_a_contractor.asp - broken link)

Harvey also sent us on numerous paid vacations to many wonderful tropical locations too. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Harvey make a very good product, I agree. Anderson makes a decent line, but I think they rely on brand recognition more than they should at this stage. I haven't see as much progression in quality or innovation in the last 15 years from them like they used to do.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,201 times
I'd have to go with Harvey as well. I think they are the best window on the market. I believe they only sell wholesale however. Portland Glass carries them. Otherwise you need to find a contractor who does business with them.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,307 times
True, but if the OP was going to hire someone to install, chances are he would have an account with a major supplier. I believe the link directs you to finding reputable GC's in your area as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 PM

44 posts, read 128,362 times
Thanks for all replys. I am sure my husband could install them. I just don't know the diffrence between windows and neither does he.

thanks again

Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Any window that lets you Open/Close and remove the screen all from inside, is the best for us.

That way you can stay inside with your rifle, open a window and take a shot at the critters harassing your livestock.

Raising the window spooks them. Take a quick shot right through the window!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine