Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,360,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They are probably all made in a factory somewhere and rebranded but the ones we had were Arctic Cat. We just bought them at an online dealer. You can get good deals on that kind of stuff on ebay.

Snowmobile clothing or ski clothing is the way to go if you want warm stuff.
That's what I've done as I've bought winter coats this year. I had to go ahead (not wait till March) and get the kids' new coats, as last year's were outgrown. I bought new coats on Ebay - snow/ski coats - for a fraction of retail cost. Both the girls' coats had the tags still on - both over $100 retail, and I paid less than $50 each. Gotta love Ebay! I also bought a nice wool coat for myself, still new with tags - $149 retail - I paid $30 something. Great deals!

Also, I got all the kids the 3 in 1 coats with the removable fleece inserts that can be worn alone or in the coat and waterproof outer shells. I figure that would be an all-season style.

Now I'm browsing around for good deals on gloves and boots. I haven't begun to look for long sleeved shirts/sweaters for everyone. I think that's something best left to the clearance racks when we get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
At least a steamer trunk, better yet an entire walk-in closet so you can sort and find it all.

Especially with little kids trudging through snow all day, you'll need plenty of extra snow pants, warm socks, mittens & hats. Buy cheap ones so you can easily dry the wet ones near the wood stove and throw the kids back outside again in a hurry!
Wow I haven't even begun to look at snow pants yet!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,426,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Wow I haven't even begun to look at snow pants yet!
IMO, snow pants are better than snowsuits for little ones. It never fails, as soon as you bundle them all up one of them is bound to say "I've gotta pee"! It's much easier to peel off the pants in a hurry than have to pull down and entire snowsuit.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,559,907 times
Quote:
At least a steamer trunk, better yet an entire walk-in closet so you can sort and find it all.

Especially with little kids trudging through snow all day, you'll need plenty of extra snow pants, warm socks, mittens & hats. Buy cheap ones so you can easily dry the wet ones near the wood stove and throw the kids back outside again in a hurry!
A steamer trunk is what's left over for just DW and I now that the kids are out of the house!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
The Military Surplus store in Brewer [East of WalMart] has great cheap mittens and arctic gear.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,412,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
That's what I've done as I've bought winter coats this year. I had to go ahead (not wait till March) and get the kids' new coats, as last year's were outgrown. I bought new coats on Ebay - snow/ski coats - for a fraction of retail cost. Both the girls' coats had the tags still on - both over $100 retail, and I paid less than $50 each. Gotta love Ebay! I also bought a nice wool coat for myself, still new with tags - $149 retail - I paid $30 something. Great deals!

Also, I got all the kids the 3 in 1 coats with the removable fleece inserts that can be worn alone or in the coat and waterproof outer shells. I figure that would be an all-season style.

Now I'm browsing around for good deals on gloves and boots. I haven't begun to look for long sleeved shirts/sweaters for everyone. I think that's something best left to the clearance racks when we get there.
Another good thing utilize is a strand of yarn from one mitten to the other for kids. You run it through their jacket sleeves, so the mittens are never lost. Sew each end of the yarn string onto a mitten end. Then you don't have so many mitten widows. lol

Do you know how to knit or crochet El? Scarves are great too as are the face hats for kids who want to be out forever in the snow.

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 11-18-2008 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
The warmest mittens are the ones drying next to the wood stove.

Grnerally military gloves are very well designed and there is a surplus place on Rt 1 somewhere along the coast.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Oh! I always cut those off. I thought they were just to keep all the shoplifters around here from stealing single mittens when they lose one!

And no, I don't knit. I need to learn! I love to embroider and used to crochet a bit, though I've probably forgotten how. MIL knits very well. I need to give her our new Christmas list!

mittens
gloves
scarves
booties
leg warmers
ARM warmers

Hey, it just occurred to me that we'll be able to wear tights! We've never been able to wear those cute cable knit tights. WAY too hot for our weather. I bought some for the girls when they were little, and they wore them a couple of times to church - didn't last through Sunday school!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM

6,611 posts, read 13,450,372 times
Quote:
IMO, snow pants are better than snowsuits for little ones. It never fails, as soon as you bundle them all up one of them is bound to say "I've gotta pee"! It's much easier to peel off the pants in a hurry than have to pull down and entire snowsuit.
That goes for big girls who spend all day outside without a potty in sight too.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,426,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
That goes for big girls who spend all day outside without a potty in sight too.
Depends....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine