Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you have read about this recently in the Portland Press Herald. Most of you realize that our families and friends have recently been devestated by the local lobster market. Many of these hard working people are facing a very difficult time with a long hard winter ahead.
I know the woman that is putting this project together and this cause is one I find very worthy.

We all have our favorite lobster recipes. If you have one that you would like to contribute, please contact her.

Monique Coombs of Orrs Island has seen what's happened to the lobster industry first-hand because she is married to a lobsterman.
Lobster, she says, is "like the new chicken, because it's so cheap."
About a month ago, Coombs decided she wanted to do something to help fishermen during these tough economic times, when prices are lower than a grain of sand on a lobster tail. She decided to try putting together a lobster-themed cookbook.
"I like to cook," Coombs said. "Initially I just thought it would be one of those spiral-bound fundraising cookbooks people do for PTAs, but it's turned into something bigger than that."
Chefs are volunteering recipes and tips, including Maine Lobster Chef of the Year Margaret Salt McLellan.
"I've asked a few chefs to write about cooking with lobster -- boiling versus steaming, barbecuing on the grill, good foods to pair with lobsters," Coombs said.
Sections of the book will shed light on issues within the lobster industry, such as why it is important to buy from a local dealer or directly from a lobstermen, as opposed to going to a big business, Coombs said. There will be information on Maine's fishing laws and illustrations of how lobstermen are trying to fish sustainably.
Mostly, the book will offer ideas and recipes for cooking with lobster, and Coombs wants your input. If you have a great family recipe that uses lobster, a secret trick for working with it, or a great idea for foods to pair with lobster, Coombs wants to hear from you.
All proceeds from the book, called "Lobsters on the Fly," will be donated to the Maine Lobstermen's Association to help Maine fishing families in need. The title of the book was suggested by Coombs' brother, who is an executive chef in Las Vegas.
"It's a cooking term," Coombs said. "If you're in the kitchen and someone says I need this on the fly, it means they need it double-quick. It means they needed it 10 minutes ago."
The book is being funded by advertising and sponsorships. Deby Stubbs, a Maine photographer, is providing the photos.
For more information, or to contribute a recipe, contact Coombs at "Lobsters on the Fly," P.O. Box 73, Orr's Island, ME 04066, or e-mail her at lobstersonthefly@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Good thread idea, FLM, I am a TERRIBLE cook, but that's more incentive to pick up her book when it's available. Any way to help without purchasing the book?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:02 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Sure, she would also love some suggestions on where to sell it. I know you're out and about a lot. Email her a list of local places you think wouldn't mind throwing a few on a shelf. Then buy a bunch and give them to all of your friends and family as gifts!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
I like lobster but it gives me gout bad. I can eat one once in a while but if I ate it as often as I do chicken I'd be in a wheelchair! That said I'd buy several copies of the book to give as gifts! Let us know what transpires.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:29 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I like lobster but it gives me gout bad. I can eat one once in a while but if I ate it as often as I do chicken I'd be in a wheelchair!
Oh Maineah - you're gettin' so old and decrepit you make me feel like a youngster, at your age plus a decade!

I had a bum foot, too...at least it wasn't gout! Stay away from them lobstahs!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh Maineah - you're gettin' so old and decrepit you make me feel like a youngster, at your age plus a decade!

I had a bum foot, too...at least it wasn't gout! Stay away from them lobstahs!
I know most of it is in my head but all this stuff is happening since I turned 50. My gout is back. It had been gone for 12 years! I'm on blood pressure meds, gout meds and cholesterol meds. The BP meds screwed up the gout meds so I got gout in my knee for the first time. The cholesterol meds give me the runs and I feel like I'm 100 all of a sudden!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:50 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Poor Maineah! I understand a bit, DH has gout, high blood pressure and arthritis. His cholesterol is down because of years of diet changes and meds. They gave him a new BP medication without checking the interactions with his gout meds, (good thing I checked it). He had to have more bloodwork to check his creatine levels and today had to go to the Dr.s for a minor eye surgeory. He said "You gotta be tough to get old".
No shellfish with Gout so If I do buy it it's only one.
I hope you're feeling better.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I know most of it is in my head but all this stuff is happening since I turned 50. My gout is back. It had been gone for 12 years! I'm on blood pressure meds, gout meds and cholesterol meds. The BP meds screwed up the gout meds so I got gout in my knee for the first time. The cholesterol meds give me the runs and I feel like I'm 100 all of a sudden!
Maybe you need a warmer climate

Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Poor Maineah! I understand a bit, DH has gout, high blood pressure and arthritis. His cholesterol is down because of years of diet changes and meds. They gave him a new BP medication without checking the interactions with his gout meds, (good thing I checked it). He had to have more bloodwork to check his creatine levels and today had to go to the Dr.s for a minor eye surgeory. He said "You gotta be tough to get old".
No shellfish with Gout so If I do buy it it's only one.
I hope you're feeling better.
Thanks msina! I'm Ok I just moan and groan alot. I swore by the tart cherries for gout until I got it in my knee! Hopefully when they get the BP meds straightened out I can go back to using tart cherries and get off the rest of this stuff! Your DH is right about being tough and I'm kind of a weenie about it I guess. It could be A LOT WORSE!!!
Sorry to get off topic FT Lauderdale Mermaid this is an important subject!!!
Now back to the lobstermen who have THE REAL PROBLEMS HERE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: