U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 AM

25,273 posts, read 20,330,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
By that definition, I'M a clannish Mainer! Yay!!! No question in our minds, whatsoever. This is just a small example of how we know we belong there! My name is Tammy, and I'm a Clanner....I mean Mainer!

I think it really is just a sense of community and caring for your own (related or not) that is pitifully misconstrued and lacking in most other places. This is one more example of people thinking it's wrong simply because they don't understand it. I think they don't know what they're missing out on.

When we mention to ANYONE here about our upcoming move, the first question they inevitably ask is, "Oh! Do you have family there?" I used to dive into this "No, but..." long drawn out explanation. Now, I just say, "Yes, we do! And we have lots of friends there. We're ready to go home!" After all, isn't the saying "home is where the heart is"?

And if it requires that Mainers be "clannish", protective, diligent, overseers, etc. to maintain the precious environment that most other states are ready to sacrifice in the name of progress, so be it! I'm on that bandwagon!
Caring for the people in your community is admirable. What would scare me though is the suspicion of people from elsewhere.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM

2,883 posts, read 2,929,329 times
I know Iím new here but, I have a few opinions on the matter and hopefully I get them down without offense to anyone. I surf these websites every so often (and usually get addicted to certain ones). I always read how Maine folk are so stand-offish and not very open to new people and they wonder why that is. I canít speak for all of us but I can speak for myself. So, Iíll try. But bear with me. Iím can be long winded.

We have usually been in these small towns for most, if not all, of our lives. We come home, most of us anyway, and settle back in and try to find work. Not an easy task. We usually have two or three jobs just to get by and then do favors for friends and relatives. So, pretty much our time is taken up without much room for relaxing. Well, thereís one reason we may seem stand-offish.

At times we are looked down upon by others who left the bright lights and big city to retire here. These new folk merge into groups for the same reason everyone else does: to be around and converse with others like them. People with the same life experiences: galleries and theater, fine dining (ahhh, I remember that part.), and all that goes with it. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem comes when singly and in these groups people display arrogance towards the locals. Iím not saying that it is done intentionally and it may simply be a perceptual thing on our part. As we are simple folk living a simple life we must be a bit slower than the norm. Educated people would be off to civilization making real money and living real lives, not simply eking out an existence.

This is a particular sore spot for my wife. She has degrees, including a MBS, all from prestigious universities and speaks several languages. But, when folks come in and speak to her they become condescending and she will call them on it. One pompous woman actually felt my wife was lying until she was told in French that she was not. I think this is why newcomers get a stand-offish feeling from us. After receiving this treatment for a time, we get a bit gun shy, so to speak.

Hope I spoke well and not offended anyone. If so, trust that it was not my intention. And, sorry for the memoir but I admitted to being long winded at the start.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 7,684,443 times
Retired, that was very well stated and goes back to Mainers protecting who they are and a priceless way of life - and rightfully so!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM

7,704 posts, read 7,411,545 times
Retired, excellant post. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM

2,883 posts, read 2,929,329 times
Thank you. I worry about how I am perceived at times or how I come off. Especially with a topic like this.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,684,443 times
Join the club!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:19 PM

161 posts, read 152,068 times
Retired. You really are person of incredible discernment. Thinking about your analysis, I could not agree more.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM

431 posts, read 579,697 times
Maybe it's an American thing? I was lucky enough to spend two weeks bicycling in Italy a few years ago and I was appalled at the behavior of many of our American brethren. They were rude, crude and ignorant....the typical "ugly American" that we all read about. Who wouldn't be offended and clannish when faced with this behavior. And it's too bad because I was so surprised at the warmth and admiration Americans still receive in Italy. Our bike group stopped at a tiny little place one day....it would be a typical convenience store here in the states. The proprietor was in his 80s and when he found out we were Americans he thanked us profusely for our service in WWII and refused to let us pay for our espressos and pastries.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 3,282,235 times
rescinded

Last edited by flycessna; 11-21-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: chnaged my mind ;0

Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

7,209 posts, read 13,456,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I know Iím new here but, I have a few opinions on the matter and hopefully I get them down without offense to anyone. I surf these websites every so often (and usually get addicted to certain ones). I always read how Maine folk are so stand-offish and not very open to new people and they wonder why that is. I canít speak for all of us but I can speak for myself. So, Iíll try. But bear with me. Iím can be long winded.

We have usually been in these small towns for most, if not all, of our lives. We come home, most of us anyway, and settle back in and try to find work. Not an easy task. We usually have two or three jobs just to get by and then do favors for friends and relatives. So, pretty much our time is taken up without much room for relaxing. Well, thereís one reason we may seem stand-offish.

At times we are looked down upon by others who left the bright lights and big city to retire here. These new folk merge into groups for the same reason everyone else does: to be around and converse with others like them. People with the same life experiences: galleries and theater, fine dining (ahhh, I remember that part.), and all that goes with it. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem comes when singly and in these groups people display arrogance towards the locals. Iím not saying that it is done intentionally and it may simply be a perceptual thing on our part. As we are simple folk living a simple life we must be a bit slower than the norm. Educated people would be off to civilization making real money and living real lives, not simply eking out an existence.

This is a particular sore spot for my wife. She has degrees, including a MBS, all from prestigious universities and speaks several languages. But, when folks come in and speak to her they become condescending and she will call them on it. One pompous woman actually felt my wife was lying until she was told in French that she was not. I think this is why newcomers get a stand-offish feeling from us. After receiving this treatment for a time, we get a bit gun shy, so to speak.

Hope I spoke well and not offended anyone. If so, trust that it was not my intention. And, sorry for the memoir but I admitted to being long winded at the start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Retired, that was very well stated and goes back to Mainers protecting who they are and a priceless way of life - and rightfully so!
I will probably get flamed for this, but.....this happens everywhere; in every state. Particuarly the rural regions and some urban cores. However, for reasons for which I do not understand, Mainers seem to think that they are the only ones who suffer from this; that every body else in the other 48 move around and do their thing and generally get along when they are not shooting each other then they get to Maine and somehow magically for no apparent reason start bossing everybody around, talking down to them, then erecting a Starbucks, WalMart and McDonald's on every conner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine