Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
WWS

3 posts, read 7,654 times

Advertisements

Here are some websites that have small houses or cabins that I think are pretty nice.

Deer Run Cabins
Cabin Kit Homes - Mill Direct, Customer Direct, Save Thousands, Cabin Kit Company
FirstDay Cottage House Kits - Elegant Homes You Build Yourself
Owner-Built House and Barn Kits from Shelter-Kit Incorporated
and if you want something modern Rocio Romero, modern design and prefab architecture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Default Tiny home--steep price!

Yes, the prices are too high for us, especially for what we'd be doing with the cabin. It does give people who already have the building skills some ideas.

If we had a little cabin on wheels, we'd use it as an 'away' place by the water. Nothing fancy--just a movable, non-permanent shelter, and perhaps extra sleeping space if there's company.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:22 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Not a little steep - just plain hard to swallow steep.
LOL, I was intentionally severely understating. I've seen good sized pre-fabs (modulars, whatever you want to call them) starting at $36,000...and that included delivery and set-up.

And he wants $37-47k for those "tiny houses"? My woodshed is bigger than all of them, heck, I could probably fit two of the smallest ones in there. You can get a 10x20 finished bunkhouse for $6300, or a 12x24 log-sided camp for $6800 from Hillview Mini-Barns...and they're local. And there's a woman over in Plymouth who builds sheds even cheaper.

Crazy...but he semms to have a lot of interest in them.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
I thought it was very steep considering the size abd that some had no facilities or refridgerators? Just odd.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My woodshed is bigger than all of them, heck, I could probably fit two of the smallest ones in there.

Crazy...but he semms to have a lot of interest in them.
I have spoken with disabled man that wants one of the luby styles so bad he can taste it. It's not about the size that draws people in, it is the mobility of being able to take it with you on vacation or touring the continent, if you want. Even when it is placed on your property for several years, you can still sell the land and keep the house - just hitch it up to your car and head on down the road.

For emergency preps, ya can't beat the means of protecting your investment in your house - just take it to a safe place with the family sedan. It does have some advantages, but still, I believe those prices are completely out of whack with what you are getting.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Quote:
I have spoken with disabled man that wants one of the luby styles so bad he can taste it. It's not about the size that draws people in, it is the mobility of being able to take it with you on vacation or touring the continent, if you want. Even when it is placed on your property for several years, you can still sell the land and keep the house - just hitch it up to your car and head on down the road.

For emergency preps, ya can't beat the means of protecting your investment in your house - just take it to a safe place with the family sedan. It does have some advantages, but still, I believe those prices are completely out of whack with what you are getting.
Isn't that what travel trailers are all about?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Isn't that what travel trailers are all about?
Yes, but I 'spect this one won't depreciate as badly nor as rapidly as your average, run-of-the-mill travel trailer

Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Actually, travel trailers hold their resale value very nicely if they're maintained. You can get some sweet deals on ebay too, as I did. And in this economy, you can get some very, very sweet deals through dealers whose lots are overloaded due to the financing debacle.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:

Ditto what the others said about travel trailers, you can get all kinds of models from those that can be pulled with a small car to those huge models that need a 5th-wheel setup on a big pick'em up truck at prices from hundreds to thousands of $ but well under his prices. My 25 foot 5th-wheeler was less than $10k, used but only a few years old and in great shape.

I'll grant that those tiny houses are rather charming in appearance...but are they really worth the extra dough? I'd say you're right- completely out of whack.

Maybe Maine breeding made me a cheapskate?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Yup Zy,

Mine too was under 10K and it was 3K below book value. It was 2 years young, a single family owner, and they outgrew it because of having more kids. It's in brand new condition. It's great for myself and my dogs, but if I don't buy in Maine soon, then I'll upgrade to one with some bump-outs for the short term enjoyment at the campground. It's got heat, A/C, microwave, fridge, freezer, bathroom, awning, outside shower for rinsing off if you've been to the beach, a tv, a stereo, full indoor bathroom, tv antenna, skylights, and plenty of windows.

I think it's New England thriftiness at its best Zymer!!! Good buy and good value! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: