Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 36,832 times

Advertisements

We've been considering the same thing lately and I have been looking into small house designs. My two favorites right now are Victoria's Cottage and the Ecology House. Just do a google search on these. Both are great designs for passive solar and are 600-800 sq ft. Victoria's Cottage is very pretty but the Ecology House is much more sensibly designed. If I could only decide where I want to build, I could get moving on it. Our current house is way too big for the two of us (1600 sq ft) and it seems like we just use it to store our stuff. This winter we are shutting down more than half of the space and practicing living in three rooms. I want to downsize and sell most of my stuff within the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
If you plan to store a travel trailer outdoors in the winter make sure it gets shoveled off. Last year with our record snows a lot of travel trailers were ruined by roof collapses from heavy snow loads. Travel trailers are not designed for heavy snow loads. I guess the manufacturers think they all go to Florida. I recommend a pole barn big enough to back into or better yet to drive through.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:28 AM

26 posts, read 57,471 times
Default Small Living

You should interact with these people!

Eco-Community | Welcome

Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Mine sits maybe about 100' from Penobscot Bay. The wind during the summer keeps the bugs away and so far, knock on wood, it's blown the snow off the roof too. lol Thanks for the tip though NMLM. I had gone up to close it down in October and brought along a huge tarp and lots of rope. My plan was to wrap it top and sides with the tarp. The campground owner was astounded I would think to do such a thing. lol She said in 14 years she'd never seen anyone do that. So, I didn't. Hmmph. Hope I don't regret it this spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If you plan to store a travel trailer outdoors in the winter make sure it gets shoveled off. Last year with our record snows a lot of travel trailers were ruined by roof collapses from heavy snow loads. Travel trailers are not designed for heavy snow loads. I guess the manufacturers think they all go to Florida. I recommend a pole barn big enough to back into or better yet to drive through.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:23 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Default Rolling 'Huts'--Tom Kundig

An article about Tom Kundig, a Washington State architect who worked in sawmills as a teen. His rolling huts are minimalist in style (no granite counters) and high-end in price, but they are solidly designed and built.

The Magazine from the Wall Street Journal

The article is "Little Houses on the Prairie." Not saying this is perfect for Maine, but the story is interesting and a little different.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:36 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Reminds me of the Gypsy wagons we saw back in the 1940s. They had 4 wheels and a regular wagon tongue. They were pulled by junky old cars at about 20 MPH going down the road. That old time lifestyle of Gypsies was sung about by Cher.

"I was born in the wagon of a travellin show
My mama used to dance for the money theyd throw
Papa would do whatever he could
Preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of doctor good"

YouTube - Cher - Gypsys Tramps And Thieves

Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 AM

44 posts, read 102,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We had a neighbor in Milford that had two small, approx. 12x12 cabins built. He then had a man build a kitchen and bath into one, and a bedroom and sitting room into the other. They were then conncted by a 6x6 mudroom/entry. His was done for a camp but, could easily be a wonderful tiny home. At the time, (about 6 years ago) he paid 12000 for the "rough" cabins, and 7000 for the work done.
Thanks Msina. This is a good example of what I need to believe is still possible.

And thanks everyone else for the links you've posted. If anyone builds a small house this year under 800 square feet, I'd love to come see it.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:01 PM

112 posts, read 283,350 times
I like the idea of a small home , but I need a Big Wall for the 62 in TV ( LOL ) .
But on a more serious note .
We would love to make the move to maine but not till our daughter finds a job as a Elementary School Teacher so We know what area to head for.
I would love to get 3 to 5 acres and build one of the smaller houses from this website , there are all ready a few in Maine , if You read back through the forum pages.
Bob

CountryPlans Design/Build Forum - Index

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
But those are regular size not tiny like this thread is all about.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:06 PM

114 posts, read 318,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemute View Post

I suppose tips about getting a house built in general are helpful, but I wonder if there are special considerations for the small ones.
Hi, bluemute, there certainly are special considerations. You might want to go either to your library or to ebay and look up books on small houses and buildings. There are some very cool tricks architects are now using to make small buildings look and feel spacious to the homeowners. The open floor concept, using half walls or partial walls, varying ceiling heights to denote different living areas, the use of color and different types of window sizes can all be cheap to do and make a huge difference in how we feel in our houses. The books will show you houses that cost way more than many of us here can afford - ignore that. Just look at the ideas they're using and then snab them for yourself! We are looking for a small, interesting house as well, or we will build one, not sure yet just which, as we're behind you and are still looking around. Hope that is of help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: