Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadling81 View Post
The wind and rain howled all night long here, and it's still raining right now (11:30am). The wind has just about completely died down, thank goodness. We have 4 or 5 felled trees in the yard, and once the rain subsides some more I'll go out and survey the damage. My favorite part after a wind storm! I think we've lost 10 or 12 trees around our yard since early Fall. Is it just me or have we had a really windy go of it so far this year?
At least the temp is kinda warm at 41!
I figure better now then during an ice storm when it's harder to get out of the way! Every time I see downed limbs thru summer and fall I think, whew, that's one that won't fall in JAN.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Furnaces on at 64˚!?! OMG!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,183 times
I'll take 10 below temp before 60 MPH winds....

Old 11-26-2008, 10:04 AM

During the "big Ice Storm" of 98(?) my hubby was working out of town. We were the only full time residents on this camp road at the time. It was just me and the cat. We had no power so I'd figure I'd draw water from the lake in case it was out for awhile. As I creeped over the ice to the shoreline I could hear crashing all around me. It was the branches thawing and giving out. I looked around and BIG branches, some nearly whole trees. littered the ground around me. I figured OMG, I'm gonna get crushed out hear and no one will know. The cat will have no choice but to eat me and that's what they'll find...bundled bones , a bucket, and a full, but pissed off cat.

Luckily me and the cat survived.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,183 times
Default "That" storm

We'd just moved back to Maine that year and the sound of the trees breaking in the dark of night and quiet as a church mouse outside. Besides the trees breaking you'd hear a distant transformer blow up. What a week that was.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Propane stoves are wonderful! <g> Though I will just be making pies and the like...

We didn't even get a flicker...
We like our propane stove. Dw wants a wood cookstove, but for now it is propane.

Brytelite lanterns are cool too

Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Furnaces on at 64˚!?! OMG!!!
Death Valley Ca today is looking at a high of 67F, Barrow Ak a high of 2F.

I like Maine just fine

Old 11-26-2008, 04:30 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We like our propane stove. Dw wants a wood cookstove, but for now it is propane.

Brytelite lanterns are cool too
I have a nice 6-burner Glenwood...but I don't really have a spot to put it at the moment. It's a little too big for the place where the main woodstove is currently, and it really won't fit anywhere else, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
The way you folks used "felled" just tickles me! Robin used that word the other day. I'm going to have a print out a copy of the Maine Speak Dictionary!
In this case, it's not "Maine speak", the word "fell" has a number of [different] meanings in the English language, one of them is a verb meaning to take (cut) down a tree.

One of the tools you can use for this purpose is a "felling wedge" which basically looks like a giant steel chisel. You make your V-notch cut in the direction you want the tree to fall, then make your final cut on the opposite side of that. Before you cut all the way through, you stop, remove your chainsaw and turn it off (it's hard to hear the tell-tale cracking indicating the tree is about to fall with the motor running and hearing protectors on), insert one or more wedges into the cut and start driving them in with a big hammer.

When you hear the tree start cracking, you step back and watch carefully to see where it is going to fall- they don't always fall in the direction you made the notch-cut, for various reasons. If it doesn't fall, continue driving in the wedges and observing carefully untill it does.

Some of us don't always use the wedges, which can result in the need to drop the saw and run like hell when you cut too far, too fast, and it comes down before you are prepared and in a different direction than you planned. (BTDT, got the t-shirt and skid-marks in my skivvies...twice.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lost power a little after 10PM last night. Woodstove and oil lamps are nice. I don't have a propane stove yet, though I prefer to cook with gas or wood. I can do a little cooking on the big Jotul if necessary.

I just took out a small Jotul from the other side of the house and moved my big antique Glenwood Oak parlor stove into that spot...it was a bit difficult to lift it onto its base by myself but I managed...only trouble is, I have to take it off again and do a little wire-brushing and painting. It picked up quite a bit of rust sitting on the concrete in the garage over the last few months.

My little creek was a raging torrent this morning and there was a duckpond in the dooryard. I haven't been out to check my trees but I know there is at least one casualty- my 2-way radio antenna is no longer sticking up above the big pine tree where I put it. It's still in the tree somewhere, but not upright like it should be.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
We were without power for only 21 hours. A lot less than during the ice storm. Just wind and some rain. Some of the guys at work with weather stations, said that we had 30-40 mph winds, with 60 mph gusts. I can't verify this, but I know that it was howling last night.
No damage visible here at the house, but there was/is a tree laying on the power lines less than a mile from here.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
We are having a winter storm here in valley of the sun too!

temp clear down inna 60's and we will probably have a total of almost an inch of rain before its over a couple of days from now! Winds not really a factor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine