U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM

264 posts, read 448,764 times

Advertisements

RM - We promise not to look at your location either! LOL

Being from NJ, I'm sure it is habit for me to lock my door etc. But we've laxed off a lot. We don't lock our car doors in our driveway if we are home during the day. That's lax from NJ! LOL But we do lock our door when we leave even if running to the post office 5 min away... We also lock our door as sleeping even if my husband is a cop with a gun next to him! It is just habit of what we are used to. In town, I don't think I'd ever leave my car unlocked as shopping etc. I could never stay calm enough wondering if someone was taking things from my car like a gps, stuff I bought at the last store etc.. I guess I'll always be one of the ones from away that you hear my chirp chirp of my car lock lol! It only takes 1 person walking by (troubled teen or person) to take every item out of my car, it's just worth locking my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM

5,670 posts, read 7,781,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ice View Post
Im from new jersey and I visit Maine around the bangor area every year. I personally think you people are crazy not locking your doors or car at night,being from down here it's just habit I supose. When I visit Maine it feel like a diffrence world everyones nice, theres no traffic and no gangs that i seen. Now im not saying there probally isn't gangs up there because there is gangs everywere but from what i seen it a very nice place
Life's too short to not feel safe in your own home.

There is a gang in my neighborhood. They're horrible. They rumbled with my gang about two weeks ago. I think there have been recent shootings. Only 29 out of 33 wild turkeys showed up today. I think there might have might a Thanksgiving Day Massacre. (Yes I said in public places that I'd like to but I didn't do it and you can't prove otherwise!) My gang, three dogs, chased them away. If they know what's good for them they won't show up again any time soon, the puppy wants a piece of 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Usually, we can tell the folks from away without even looking in their direction; the chirp of the car alarm.
True story - we stopped in Lincoln to get gas and drinks. A van with Jersey plates parked at a pump beside us. The man got out, locked his family in the van, and pumped his gas. We grinned about that. It was summer. Vehicles weren't just unlocked, windows were open. He some how set the security alarm off, at the gas pump, in Lincoln, Maine, with his family locked in the van. I hope he felt safer by the end of his vacation.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:34 PM

264 posts, read 448,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

True story - we stopped in Lincoln to get gas and drinks. A van with Jersey plates parked at a pump beside us. The man got out, locked his family in the van, and pumped his gas. We grinned about that. It was summer. Vehicles weren't just unlocked, windows were open. He some how set the security alarm off, at the gas pump, in Lincoln, Maine, with his family locked in the van. I hope he felt safer by the end of his vacation.

LOL!!! How long ago was this?? Because we have a van and I would NOT be surprised if my husband did this our first trip up with us and the kids in my van when it still had Jersey plates. After we owned our house, our first trip up with the kids was in my van in the beginning of summer. My husband was a Camden NJ cop at the time (see the new most dangerous city list that came out 2 weeks ago? Camden, NJ is #2 in the country) and driving around NJ, he always locked us in if he stepped out of the car, so I wouldn't doubt him hitting the locks naturally as he pumped gas either! After living up here for 9 months now, he's calmed down a lot. I guess being a cop here compared to Camden, NJ has relaxed him a lot. Even if it wasn't us, I could picture that.. but one day recently, we went in to eat at PitStop and *gasp* he left his door unlocked! (we could see the car but still! - that is unheard of for him)

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM

5,670 posts, read 7,781,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
LOL!!! How long ago was this?? Because we have a van and I would NOT be surprised if my husband did this our first trip up with us and the kids in my van when it still had Jersey plates. After we owned our house, our first trip up with the kids was in my van in the beginning of summer. My husband was a Camden NJ cop at the time (see the new most dangerous city list that came out 2 weeks ago? Camden, NJ is #2 in the country) and driving around NJ, he always locked us in if he stepped out of the car, so I wouldn't doubt him hitting the locks naturally as he pumped gas either! After living up here for 9 months now, he's calmed down a lot. I guess being a cop here compared to Camden, NJ has relaxed him a lot. Even if it wasn't us, I could picture that.. but one day recently, we went in to eat at PitStop and *gasp* he left his door unlocked! (we could see the car but still! - that is unheard of for him)
Nope, wasn't you! It must have been four or five years ago. I lose track of time these days. The couple and kids were older than you. It was at the station between the Access Rd to the interstate and PitStop.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,587,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
When I live back there, I leave my key in the ignition but still lock my door. I figure if someone wants my car, it would be for a joy ride or an emergency. And I'd more than likely get my car back. So glass can be replaced easily but a pulled out/stove up ignition would cost a lot. I would hope that by leaving the key, the perp would not trash it too badly.

And no, I'm not going to tell you where I sometimes live when in Maine.
Ya know, 007, I have been leaving my car/truck unlocked in the many places I have lived, for years. Still do. Several things of note here, though.
1. I have never owned a desirable late model vehicle.
2. The stuff that is in the vehicle, if there is stuff in there, is not typical consumer goods that most folks would even look twice at.

Heck, one of my cars ignition did die a few years ago and I rigged it to start with a screwdriver that I left under the drivers seat. Still didn't lock it. I may have had the passing thought "steal this car, please!" LOL

BUT it was the only car with no real damage in a several block area when a bunch of kids went on a window-breaking, car rifling session at the start of spring break one year. I WAS miffed, though, at being late to work as they had left my door open and the light being on ran down the battery so I had to plug it into the charger (running several extension cords down from my apartment to do so.) They had rifled it, dropped a classical music tape and, yes, THAT screwdriver, on the ground outside the open door. Nothing was missing.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 AM

4 posts, read 1,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Usually, we can tell the folks from away without even looking in their direction; the chirp of the car alarm.
Yea ha it's true but we do have a cabin at Green Lake right outside of ellsworth and it did get broken into a couple of years ago. The people that broke into our cabin did a string of burglerys around the whole lake. What they stole was two ATV's and numerous other things from our garage but the only thing that stopped them from entering the house was a sticker that said we had an alarm at the time, which we really didnt, so after that we did get the alarm.

As for the gangs in Maine i beleive they are, Now im not quite talking about the majority of gangs they have down here like blood and crips and latin kings but you guys in maine with out a doubt have biker gangs. I mean last year they had a shoot out at with police. And the gangs from places like New York, New Jersey and LA are begining to migrate because there is a great oppitunity to make money in places such as Maine. Now if them not migrating it isn't the case its the influence they have on teenagers. Teenager and even people my age, I'm 21 by the way, see ganglife on TV and the movies. In Movies it look like everything is fast money, women and partying but most of these kids really don't know what gangs really are meant for.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 1,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
I guess being a cop here compared to Camden, NJ has relaxed him a lot. (we could see the car but still! - that is unheard of for him)
I think being a cop anywere after being a cop in camden, nj should be alot more relaxed ha that place is crazy it has a good aquarium tho

Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM

19 posts, read 32,306 times
Like any city, there are some areas of Portland more prone to crime than others. It would really be in your best interest to visit and judge for yourself. As a woman, there are areas that I would feel perfectly comfortable walking by myself (Old Port) and others I would not (St.John's/Congress/Deering Park). The Old Port, is Portland's gem. It is jam-packed with restaurants, bars, pubs, night clubs, museum, art gallery, shops, markets and more. There is too much to do in a weekend, but for starters, you can stay at one of the lovely hotels located right in the heart of the city, have dinner, take a Duck Tour cruise or take the mail boat to the area islands. Portland is a working waterfront so you are guaranteed the freshest of seafood at any of the restaurants.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM

7,713 posts, read 7,892,091 times
I lock my truck whenever I go to the stores,.. wouldn't want anyone to steal my dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine