U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 PM

162 posts, read 224,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
chipped beef on toast
Don't you mean sh** on a shingle? This was a favorite of my father's, who always abbreviated it to SOS in front of us kids. I guess he had it when he was in the Army Air Corps during WW2 and he developed a fondness for it.

That's also where he got introduced to Spam, and he liked that too. We had grilled Spam sandwiches a lot when we were kids. I'll still have one once in a while. I read recently about a Hawaiian treat called Spam Musubi. You fry up thick slices of Spam, then add soy sauce and sugar, and fry it into the Spam slices. Then you wrap the Spam up in nori (seaweed) with sushi rice to make a sandwich. Doesn't that sound delicious? Not exactly Maine comfort food, but worth a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,163,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
No El, you put the can in a pan with hot water and let it steam inside the can. Then you open the can and eat the warm brown bread with your baked beans and hot dogs. It was a New England tradition to eat beans and franks on Saturdays.
What you mean, "was"?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I take about 2 Tblsp. of butter and saute' about 1/3 cup of onion in it til softened. Next I add 2 Tblsp. of flour and stir til soft and blended. I slowly pour 2 cups milk into the roux and stir over medium heat til the sauce comes just to a low boil and thickens. Turn the heat down to low, then:

I add a large can of salmon or 2 small cans (drained, and cleaned of any skin, and bones removed), flaked into the sauce. I turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. About half way through, I add about a cup of frozen peas to the mix. I salt and pepper to taste as well.

Traditionally this is served over toast, but you can also serve it over egg noodles which is how the kids liked it.
When I was little, my mother used to make something similar with tunafish, and peas and carrots.
Been a long time since I've had it.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM

21,278 posts, read 4,891,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
When I was little, my mother used to make something similar with tunafish, and peas and carrots.
Been a long time since I've had it.
I'd call that tuna noodle casserole if it was made with egg noodles and cream of mushroom soup. My mom and myself after her, always added a thin layer of crushed potato chips to the top of it before baking it off. It's actually what I'm making for dinner tomorrow night! haha Gourmet New England, at it's best! My friend of 43 years is coming over and her DH doesn't like tuna, so it's a treat for us to have it.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM

21,278 posts, read 4,891,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
What you mean, "was"?
Life is so different now. I don't know how many traditionally sit down together for Sat. night beans and franks. We still eat them, but not just as a Saturday night thing anymore. Don't you agree? Or do you eat them every Sat. night? lol

You know... El might not know anything about traditional NE bean pots either. There's actually a bean pot 'festival' if you will, up in Patton, Me every year. The pot gets buried, the beans get baked in the ground over the hot coals, they dig it up and enjoy them, and everyone goes home to toot! roflmao

Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Awwww come on, they're not THAT bad! Put tons of grape jelly in them and they're pretty tasty (southerners everywhere are now screaming in horror)

I like my grits with fried apples, or sausage gravy.

Forest, I never saw grits in an army mess hall, not even in Texas.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,930,231 times
There are VERY few foods that I will not eat. You have managed to hit two of them tonight. Tuna noodle casserole and sweet potatoes. Not a chance! Throw in egg salad and there's my YUCK trifecta!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Life is so different now. I don't know how many traditionally sit down together for Sat. night beans and franks. We still eat them, but not just as a Saturday night thing anymore. Don't you agree? Or do you eat them every Sat. night? lol

You know... El might not know anything about traditional NE bean pots either. There's actually a bean pot 'festival' if you will, up in Patton, Me every year. The pot gets buried, the beans get baked in the ground over the hot coals, they dig it up and enjoy them, and everyone goes home to toot! roflmao
Still have them every Sat night...though with the current state of economics I'm eating them a little more often- right now, actually.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM

33,688 posts, read 10,446,285 times
We always had a lot of homemade relish and pickles with the beans....chow chow....pickle-lily...mustard pickles..dilly beans, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 PM

701 posts, read 598,109 times
Quote:
Oh my, while searching for my Mocha Pudding Cake recipe for tomorrow nights visit with friends, I came across this recipe and now I can't wait to try it... thought some of you might like it as well...

Layered Sweet Potato And Cranberry Casserole

4 large sweet potatoes (about 3.5 pounds)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tblsp. butter
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tblsp. butter melted
1 Tblsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool slightly.

Peel and cut into 1/4" slices. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange half of sweet potato slices in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar; dot with 1 1/2 tsp. butter. Top with 1/2 cup cranberries. Repeat layers. Pour orange juice over top. Cover and bake 45 minutes.

Combine walnuts, 2 Tblsp. brown sugar and cinnamon; stir well. Sprinkle walnut mixture over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes.

Yield: About 8 to 10 servings
Coastal, great recipe!!!!!!!!! I'll be using it soon, Thanks

You guys are talking about some great food on this thread, I would love more recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really feel like I'm getting a "taste" of Maine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine