Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times

Advertisements

The tree will go up around the 15th. Unfortunately, it's artificial. We used to have real trees until 1994, but since then circumstances have prevented our having a real tree in the house. The artificial tree isn't too bad. But it's getting old now, and would you believe--sheds??

When we did the real tree, it went up around the 20th. Yes, aspirin does help keep the tree fresher.

Instead of a real tree, I have balsam wreaths on the front door, and back door. They do seem to provide a hint of that nice balsamy smell when the door is opened, so all is not lost.

The trees ALWAYS come down New Year's Day while watching the Rose Bowl parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ours have to go out on Christmas Eve, otherwise the dogs, cats, and tortoises open them for the kids.
Tortoises???

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Tortoises???
Yes we have trouble with our tortoises messing with the tree ornamants and gift wrap too.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Now in direct contrast to the above post......We have nothing resembling Christmas up as of today. DW is not in the mood for some reason.
We have done zero Christmas shopping. Neither one of us has any enthusiasm for the season. We're not scrooges...we're just not feeling it. Maybe it's the economy, the instability of it all. Maybe it's seeing a man actually crushed to death by nut job shoppers...Maybe it's listening to worn out Christmas songs in stores since HALLOWEEN. These things just suck the life out of the whole thing. I expect we'll put up a few lights this week.
Aww heck Tim, ya shouldah signed up for the Christmas Card Exchange!! DM me your addy and I'll send you and the DW one... maybe that will start to improve your mood. You have to block out all the BS and just remember there is a real meaning for the reason for the season.

All I have to do now is put on my cd of the Nutcracker Suite and look out at the snow and that feeling starts creeping back in. Try it. I'm giving blood on Tuesday... something I try to pay attention to every 60 days... do something like that... something nice for a total stranger... that helps you get the *true* meaning back into the holiday. It isn't about gifts, it isn't about the mall, it isn't about any of that stuff. It's about the love in your heart for your family and friends, it's about Jesus, it's about sharing that joy.

Mainebrokerman found that spirit today when he cut down trees for the elderly and others in need of a hand. That's the spirit of Christmas. It's what I love about this time of year. It's when we can unabashedly show our gladness in doing good for others instead of ourselves.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Aww heck Tim, ya shouldah signed up for the Christmas Card Exchange!! DM me your addy and I'll send you and the DW one... maybe that will start to improve your mood. You have to block out all the BS and just remember there is a real meaning for the reason for the season.

All I have to do now is put on my cd of the Nutcracker Suite and look out at the snow and that feeling starts creeping back in. Try it. I'm giving blood on Tuesday... something I try to pay attention to every 60 days... do something like that... something nice for a total stranger... that helps you get the *true* meaning back into the holiday. It isn't about gifts, it isn't about the mall, it isn't about any of that stuff. It's about the love in your heart for your family and friends, it's about Jesus, it's about sharing that joy.

Mainebrokerman found that spirit today when he cut down trees for the elderly and others in need of a hand. That's the spirit of Christmas. It's what I love about this time of year. It's when we can unabashedly show our gladness in doing good for others instead of ourselves.
Sounds like work....I think I'll just drink more!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:59 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
You're so full of bullcrap! lol

Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:
No offense to those who do not celebrate Christmas...... Elcarim's post showing she had her tree up already (Dec 5) got me wondering. When do you put your tree up?
We usually put one up around the 15th to the 18th and take it down just before New Years Day.
When we were growing up our neighbor used to put up their tree Christmas Eve and by noon Christmas day it was out the back door!
Since I can remember....I have put the tree up for Thanksgiving. After our dinner and clean up we move to the living room to let the girls decorate the tree.
The tree is up and with lights the day before.

We consider the tree the maker for the "count down till xmas.
I know we are all different and a real tree is much more wonderful then those fake ones
( looks over at my pretty fake tree)
...........but the no fuss and muss of it all is also a plus for me.
I enjoy a real center piece of fur and pine on my table thou. *I don't have to get on my hands and knees to water and sweep under it.

please don't judge me to harshley~
I have enough sweeping and watering in the house already.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:
Sounds like work....I think I'll just drink more!
hummm... he's a jolly elf by far.

Has anyone ever had "coal candy?" pretty yummy.
Send the address Tim and I'll send you some.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM

277 posts, read 891,545 times
Got mine put up yesterday!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
hummm... he's a jolly elf by far.

Has anyone ever had "coal candy?" pretty yummy.
Send the address Tim and I'll send you some.
I have but it makes lousy snowman eyes as it runs when it gets wet and makes him look like his mascara is running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine