Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times

Advertisements

I respect your opinion and understand your very valid point. However, others here tend to use the term in a very derogatory way when they have no business in doing so. It was previously mentioned in a completely different context, that's the one I resent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default two Maines, one policy

I pasted in this alert re the next Sec of Interior.

This impacts Maine as well as the rest of the nation. It is an example of how land, fishery, endangered species policies set by the Feds can impact the state despite of how the voters feel. Guess this is where your state representatives sit on the edge of their seats waiting for constituents to tell them how to vote.

Grassroots Battle Over Next Secretary of the Interior

Anti’s Back U.S Representative Grijalva
12/10/08

There continues to be speculation as to who will become President-elect Barack Obama’s Secretary of the Interior. However, two names have moved to the head of the pack: U.S. Representatives Raul M. Grijalva (D-AZ) and Mike Thompson (D- CA).
Rep. Grijalva received a 100 percent rating from the HSUS in each of the last six years. In Defense of Animals, a large anti-hunting organization, issued an action alert to its followers asking that they contact the President-elect’s transition team and urge Rep. Grijalva’s appointment. Additionally, the HSUS’ legislative arm has come out in support of Rep. Grijalva.
Rep. Thompson’s HSUS approval rating last year was a meager 58 percent. The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance signed a letter, along with other conservation organizations, encouraging his consideration by the new administration.
While many of the daily issues that confront sportsmen are dealt with at the state government level, the Secretary of the Interior wields much influence, overseeing key conservation agencies like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Interested sportsmen are encouraged to contact the Obama transition team and let them know their thoughts on this nomination. You can contact the head of the team, John Podesta, by faxing 202-682-1867 or e-mailing John.Podesta@ptt.gov. You can also Click Here and send your comments directly to the transition team website.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
It's an imaginary line that only a few of those living up north like to pretend it exists. However, if they would only realize it only brings out and exudes their acute awareness of social and economic differences. Those who are too class conscious!
Maine is ONE state. We are ALL Mainers.
DON'T GET ME GOING THIS MORNING ON THIS BS!

IMO- if you weren't born there and can't trace your roots back there at least 5 generations you shouldn't even be involved in the conversation to begin with. Imaginary or not. It's total ignorance.

There, now you've gone and done it!
Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It doesn't bother me that there is a perception of two Maines. Even the State recognizes there are two Maines. I can certainly sympathize with the frustrations of the more rural areas of the State when their government, bonds and other mandates are forced upon them by the populated southern part of the state. I'd resent the citified south too!
Southern Mainers were resentful of the North part of the State when the government in it's wisdom divided the state in two with the introduction of reformulated gas in the south and not in the north. They also built several emissions inspection stations in Southern Maine while exempting Northern Maine still again. Southern Maine voters told Augusta that if they were not going to include Northern Maine in the emission standards, Southern Maine wasn't going to play either! They tore down the inspection stations. If the state treats us as seperate the people need only observe. There are two Maines.
yup there are two maines just like there are two worlds,my own little world and then every one elses.i like my own world becouse im the boss of it (unless the wife is home)and if i dont like something i chang it.i call it rangers dream land.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM

387 posts, read 607,610 times
Ah, okay,Well in that case, I know about IT, just not the term. My parents usually say "Maine ends at Bangor, after that it's no-mans-land" which usually gets me pissed off, because NORTHERN MAINERS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
There remain huge differences between the regions of Maine.

Whether anyone likes it or not, 52% of Maine is unincorporated. UTs are most of Maine. The majority of Maine is rural, economically poor, and has lower taxes.

While a minority of Maine has higher taxes and demands a higher level of municipal services.

This comes up in many threads, in many different ways.

It is very difficult to discuss life in Maine without acknowledging these two different sides of Maine.

Call if the 'ATV' line if you wish, it does not change reality.

I have heard Maine politicians urging the two Maines to split, and I have posted links here.

NMLM, is very knowledgeable of all things Maine. Just try to convince NMLM that all Mainers are homogeneous and living the same lifestyles.

I am truly sorry if reality upsets anyone, for which I do apologize.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Whether anyone likes it or not, 52% of Maine is unincorporated. UTs are most of Maine. The majority of Maine is rural, economically poor, and has lower taxes.

While a minority of Maine has higher taxes and demands a higher level of municipal services.

It is very difficult to discuss life in Maine without acknowledging these two different sides of Maine.

I have heard Maine politicians urging the two Maines to split, and I have posted links here.

NMLM, is very knowledgeable of all things Maine. Just try to convince NMLM that all Mainers are homogeneous and living the same lifestyles.

It doesn't upset me! I love Northern Maine for it's beauty, openness, serenity, sparse population, rural lifestyle etc. My wife's job and our families are here in Southern Maine so this is where we live. I'd love to live further North but I don't mind it around here that much either! My wife would not like to live too far out in "the boonies" though she does appreciate relaxing on a lake once in a while.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

FOREST,

READ MY LIPS! I'm not denying the vast differences between northern and southern Maine or the people that live in either area. What bothers me is that all of your references toward the southern part of the state are so negative. I don't tromp all over Argyle or it's residents! I've been through Argyle hundreds of times and could very easily find your home! None of us from the southern part of the state have ever made any negative posts regarding northern Maine. If you read all of my posts, you'll see that most of us have all lived in the state our whole lives. Mainers are Mainers, and I do resent that you not only look down upon but also post negatively about the southern part of the state. It's not like we've all been stuck in southern Maine and never made it north of Bangor, for crying out loud. We've all been up there, spent time up there, vacationed, camped, hiked, slept in the woods and loved every minute of it! It's Maine, it's our state. We love it all.

I guess I just don't understand why it's so damn important for you to have to define it all the time. IMO, it's misleading to others looking to come to Maine to live. Why is it so important, tell me so I can stop wondering what your agenda is and why.

BTW- stop dreaming, the state will never split into two. Get over it.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
It's an imaginary line that only a few of those living up north like to pretend it exists. However, if they would only realize it only brings out and exudes their acute awareness of social and economic differences. Those who are too class conscious!
Maine is ONE state. We are ALL Mainers.
DON'T GET ME GOING THIS MORNING ON THIS BS!

IMO- if you weren't born there and can't trace your roots back there at least 5 generations you shouldn't even be involved in the conversation to begin with. Imaginary or not. It's total ignorance.

There, now you've gone and done it!

COOL!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It doesn't bother me that there is a perception of two Maines. Even the State recognizes there are two Maines. I can certainly sympathize with the frustrations of the more rural areas of the State when their government, bonds and other mandates are forced upon them by the populated southern part of the state. I'd resent the citified south too!
Southern Mainers were resentful of the North part of the State when the government in it's wisdom divided the state in two with the introduction of reformulated gas in the south and not in the north. They also built several emissions inspection stations in Southern Maine while exempting Northern Maine still again. Southern Maine voters told Augusta that if they were not going to include Northern Maine in the emission standards, Southern Maine wasn't going to play either! They tore down the inspection stations. If the state treats us as seperate the people need only observe. There are two Maines.

Do you remember when they did that emission crap, it was because of the rotten air quality from readings on Isle Au Haut. It's all the critters/people out there using those old jalopies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine