Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,256 times

Advertisements

Most of what I know about Maine is through ads. So I was just curious...

How rural is Maine? Are people active in the outdoors there or is it just seasonal vacationers? Are the residents and state government interested in protecting the environment and conservation? Are hunting and inland fishing popular activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Most of what I know about Maine is through ads. So I was just curious...

How rural is Maine? Are people active in the outdoors there or is it just seasonal vacationers? Are the residents and state government interested in protecting the environment and conservation? Are hunting and inland fishing popular activities?

I'm sure you'll get many informative replies from our resident Mainers, and I can hardly wait until the term Volvo Line appears.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Well Maine is much more rural above the Volvo Line than it is below that line. (Imaginary line that runs From Eastport,through Bangor to Jackman) Mainers practice conservation, are VERY active in outdoor activities, enjoy hunting and inland fishing along with ATV riding and snowmobiling. There is a large seasonal population that also enjoy many of the same activities.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I'm sure you'll get many informative replies from our resident Mainers, and I can hardly wait until the term Volvo Line appears.
Short wait for me...how about you?

SR, sounds like you're doing a research paper on Maine. Speaking of protective.........it would probably help taper the responses you get if you'd go into more detail about your reason for interest. Are you looking to relocate? If you're looking to be a "local", the habits will have a different impact on you than if you're just looking to visit.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default My Cousin Vinny

"So Miss Vito you can't answer the question?"
"No, the question is impossible to answer".

Sort of sums it up.

Perhaps rephrase your questions. As they are presented, they make me turn my head to the side in a manner not unlike what my dog does when I ask him where he's been.

Where did you see the ads about Maine?

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"So Miss Vito you can't answer the question?"
"No, the question is impossible to answer".

Sort of sums it up.

Perhaps rephrase your questions. As they are presented, they make me turn my head to the side in a manner not unlike what my dog does when I ask him where he's been.

Where did you see the ads about Maine?

Good luck.
My dog does that too, especially when I ask "Did you really just do that?"

Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
sr, reading this forum is a good place to start. There should be answers to your questions throughout the archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Careful! The mods will get you if you stir the pot too much!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
....Careful! The mods will get you if you stir the pot too much!
hmmmm... must be what happened...

so, my answers: rural depends on your frame of reference

yes active, no, not just "seasonal" vactioners--and reference doesn't mean much because people come here year round, not just summer

some are more interested in "protection" and "conservation" than others, it would really depend on your definition of the terms... most of us don't take kindly to the idea that those terms can mean an end to a traditional way of life and a loss of jobs

yes

Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
People in rural Maine live and work in the outdoors. Whether born here or long time residents we all have the choice of living somewhere else. This is where we choose to live our lives. Most wouldn't have it any other way. We want to protect what we have and what we have is freedom. The guy with land next to mine is having some wood cut. He needs the money and he's harvesting the crop he owns. Some would equate that to cannibalism or a horrific act.

We love the woods and waters. One reason the environmental industry likes it so much is that we who own it have cared for it for the last 400 years or so. We are the most heavily forested state in the nation. Yet, environmentalists will tell you we are losing our forests. They lie. The fact is that since 1940, Maine has gained an average of 77,000 acres a year of forest. That is more than three townships a year. In a regular six mile square town there are 23,040 acres. I think we are all interested in protecting and conserving what we have. My neighbor has and that's why he is able to derive some income from his land.

Despite the fine record of Maine people being fine stewards of the land we all enjoy, just this year we lost 19 townships of land in Washington County. You see, Augusta passed a new Maine Forest Practices Act several years ago. Since that time every single paper mill in Maine has sold its land. Large foundations and multinational corporations bought it. Domtar wanted to buy the paper mill in Woodland, but before they would buy it they wanted the land gone. GP sold the land to Hancock Trust, a division of Yale University. You see, Hancock Trust is one of those radical environmental organizations who ultimately want rural cleansing. Neither your grandson nor mine will ever have a hunting camp in those 19 townships of land. We have lost that economic opportunity.

When somebody brings up the subject of conservation or preservation it's time to get very specific with that person. The meanings of those words have been perverted in the last few decades. If you have been around that long be very careful about voting for or agreeing with someone until you know exactly what you are agreeing to.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
People in rural Maine live and work in the outdoors. Whether born here or long time residents we all have the choice of living somewhere else. This is where we choose to live our lives. Most wouldn't have it any other way. We want to protect what we have and what we have is freedom. The guy with land next to mine is having some wood cut. He needs the money and he's harvesting the crop he owns. Some would equate that to cannibalism or a horrific act.

We love the woods and waters. One reason the environmental industry likes it so much is that we who own it have cared for it for the last 400 years or so. We are the most heavily forested state in the nation. Yet, environmentalists will tell you we are losing our forests. They lie. The fact is that since 1940, Maine has gained an average of 77,000 acres a year of forest. That is more than three townships a year. In a regular six mile square town there are 23,040 acres. I think we are all interested in protecting and conserving what we have. My neighbor has and that's why he is able to derive some income from his land.

Despite the fine record of Maine people being fine stewards of the land we all enjoy, just this year we lost 19 townships of land in Washington County. You see, Augusta passed a new Maine Forest Practices Act several years ago. Since that time every single paper mill in Maine has sold its land. Large foundations and multinational corporations bought it. Domtar wanted to buy the paper mill in Woodland, but before they would buy it they wanted the land gone. GP sold the land to Hancock Trust, a division of Yale University. You see, Hancock Trust is one of those radical environmental organizations who ultimately want rural cleansing. Neither your grandson nor mine will ever have a hunting camp in those 19 townships of land. We have lost that economic opportunity.

When somebody brings up the subject of conservation or preservation it's time to get very specific with that person. The meanings of those words have been perverted in the last few decades. If you have been around that long be very careful about voting for or agreeing with someone until you know exactly what you are agreeing to.
Excellent answer as usual NMLM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine