Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
JSN-

Two things dominate natural energy collection (wind, water and tidal power). One is they can only be developed where the natural conditions are located and bigger is better (more energy collected per $ spent).
Not even sure that even makes sense?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:15 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times
Greg, it is the fact that I AGREE with you that similiar types of energy development have displaced and significantly changed the lives of many forever time and time again in this country's history, that makes me say "HOLD ON." Just because I jumped off the bridge, does that mean you should? My question is, when is this type of development going to STOP? Why should we as a country continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over? Two wrongs do not make a right.

To make my opinion clear: I am ALL FOR alternative energy. I recognize the supply/demand problem, I recognize the pollution emitted from current coal and nuke. I KNOW we as a planet need to do something. It is the "something" I have a problem with. it is the methods used to get that "something" built that I have a problem with. It is the "running with scissors, the leaping before you look" it is the irresponsible process that it used to push these turbines onto the towns, the land, the people. And, it is the 410+ ft. turbine itself that I take issue.

My point is why is it that generation after generation the population of a "free and democratic" country-a phrase we all like to take pride in, ALLOWS the half-assed gov. and the wealthy power mongors (no pun intended) to TELL the rest of us what to do, what is right. Why can't we decide too? Why can't we use the subsidy and tax-break money to attack the problem differently. Why can't we all be given the same subsidy and tax break to empower us, as the individual, to make a difference. I will tell you why, if we get off a grid, a pacifier if you will, and we take control ourseleves with solor, residential windmills, better light bulbs, more effecient systems for the home, convert all our desiels to bio deisel and make friend chicken and dumplings every night to fuel our car to get to work the next day then we will have effectively cut the cord, deminished our dependence on the ENERGY SECTOR. Well, less demand means less required supply-OH NO "they" will lose billions, we can't do that, the country and economy will crash and implode forever! Oh no, they will have to shift the business focus and reinvent their profit model! Well, that can't happen, so let's repeat the same stupidity over and over and over. Who cares about the people, the very consumer that drives the engine. Let's just keep making MORE things that need MORE energy. The people will never wean off of the bottle, they will be the neverending demander of our product and make us billions forever.

I just think that the turbines as they are now, are premature and do more harm than good in the long run. Why can't we all conserve a little, and give this great nation some time to come up with the RIGHT solution, not just the quickest solution.

And Greg, I know you are a smart guy, I think you are a nice guy, a good human. I just want you to know, because I think you would care, that when you make comments about NIMBYs, whining, selfish, stupid, etc., it really HURTS the people that have been effected by this. YOur words such as these can feel like a knife in the heart of innocent, hard-working, family-oriented, law-abiding people that were blind-sided by the industrial development that, believe it or not, has changed THEIR life forever.

I am sure that if YOUR life was changed forever by a similiar situation you would hope and pray that someone else understood what you and your family is going through. YOu would at least hope that others don't throw mean and nasty things your way, yelling "shut up whiner, my lights are ON and my Suburban is full and I am driving driving driving. I don't care about you, Greg and family, I care about ME ME ME!" I know this is not what you said, but between the lines, in an emotional issue, it could sound like this. People call the victims of this development selfish, whining, stupid, liars, etc. But really, I wonder whom is more selfish? I just wanted you to know that people are really HURT by this, it is not fiction, it is not imagination, it is as real as you can get for someone living under one, or multiple, turbines. By ignoring their REAL problem, their feelings, their lives, it hurts them more than a turbine ever could.

As a species we should be working together, helping and caring for each other. Not continuing the trend of "only me", perpetuating the divisive, harmful character that is our country today.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 AM

581 posts, read 713,147 times
With the nice wind blowing today, the least I can do is say "Thank you Mars Hill residents, especially those subjected to noise and flashing." It all helps.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times
Oh my, aren't you a nice guy. I do hope, without the benefit of hearing the inflection or seeing your expression, that you are being silly and joking. If not, try being part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I have such admiration for Maine residents as I love your state deep in my heart. I do hope that the participaters and "haters" on this thread are the few and not the majority of what Maine residents have become.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
JSN - I agree with about 95% of your comment. I too conserve because it is a good thing to do and because it cost less. I do not like to be tied to the coal/oil/energy/utility business but I, like many, are stuck with it. In my area most of the electricity is generated at the Seabrook Nuclear station. One of the benefits of this is my electric bill has not risen nearly as fast as my gasoline bill. I consider this to be a good thing as I have elecrtic heat in my condo.

Conservation is, indeed, a major part of our gaining energy independance and should be encouraged. Conservation would decrease the growth in demand. This might reduce the certainty in the energy business but certainty is the one thing that is never part of a business and anybody in business knows it. I do not see any case where existing demand will actually drop except a complete economic collapse (that is for another thread) and massive depression.

In the meantime I think that we should recover as much natural energy with wind turbines etc so we can pospone or eliminate the building of more Carbon fueled power plants. I also think that all our existing coal and oil fired power plants should be replaced, as they wear out, with new nuclear fission plants using complete fuel recycle.

Another benefit of nuclear power is that existing uranium cores in nuclear weapons can be diluted and used as reactor fuel. There are also fuel mixes that use Pluotunium as a fuel. This can be considered a way of disposing of weapons grade materials by "beating swords into plowshares"

BCHWT -

Generally speaking the cost of producing a unit of electricity decreases with the size of the generating station. In the case of hydroelectric generation a large development on a major river that recovers 10 times as much energy does not cost 10 times as much to build or run.

Everybody

I guess the problem that I do not understand is how the noise and sight of these things so disruptive. Indeed they are not part of the natural environment but niether is anything else man made. In my case the aircraft landing at Manchester Airport can be loud enough to interfere with conversation . this has greatly increased over the 20+ years we have been at this location but I don't consider the increased noise to be devastating. If I did I would move.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,479 times
Greg has a point, how are these turbines SOO disruptive? I completely understand that people's lives have been dramatically changed by industrial development in the past, but if you are trying to say that a little extra noise and an occasional eyesore are the reasons why we shouldn't install wind turbines, then I say maybe the people who are effected should stop telling everyone else to conserve energy and try making a little sacrifice themselves.

And in some cases, its not some big, multi-billion dollar corporation coming in and tearing up the landscape like the coal industry does, but small, locally based start up companies. Yes, they want to make a profit, but that is what drives innovation in this country. The proposed project for Redington and Black Nubble Mt. for example is run by a small company based out of Yarmouth. The President, Harley Lee, has lived in Maine all his life, and is actually trying to do something to stop global warming, rather than sitting around and telling people to conserve energy, and people are booing him out of town.

Getting people to conserve energy takes much more effort and does much less to prevent global climate change than going to the source of the problem and changing the way we produce energy. The people of Maine need to realize that some sacrifices need to be made other then just changing the light bulbs.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 PM

This is what I have a problem with...
http://www.allianceforbovina.org/html/images/Filmstrip.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
Greg has a point, how are these turbines SOO disruptive? I completely understand that people's lives have been dramatically changed by industrial development in the past, but if you are trying to say that a little extra noise and an occasional eyesore are the reasons why we shouldn't install wind turbines, then I say maybe the people who are effected should stop telling everyone else to conserve energy and try making a little sacrifice themselves.

Live Under One then maybe you could get some perspective... Instead of its green energy (ha) and maybe do some reasearch of people that live with these 425ft tax abatements that make a few rich and use your tax dollars to make them rich... Good luck and pay for the next Mr. Haney...

Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Wind Developers and Pro wind people are like Mr Haney - They put on their Carharrts and sell the myth

Old 05-29-2007, 05:43 PM

research is key - learn what these people are doing with your tax money not join the band wagon and all is good as long as is it green. Nothing green solar or wind gets into the grid unless petroleum is used. And Wind replaces nothing all the coal and nukes keep going when the wind dies and those beautiful wind turbines are sitting there being replaced by coal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine