U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 AM

106 posts, read 267,588 times
Direct quotes from residents living within 2500-feet of the Mars Hill project include:

"We have gone for five days straight with constant noise levels at 43 decibels or higher and we begin to cry after three or four hours. By day three, you are ready to leave your house."

"It (the noise) sounds like an airplane that never lands."

"Your mouth just drops open when the noise levels hit 50 decibels."
and following a visit to one of the affected homes, a regional director of Maine's DEP told the resident: "You're not crazy. There is a real issue here."

Old 07-05-2007, 07:13 PM

655 posts, read 1,099,388 times
and the numbers from the study are....???...The study commissioned by the DEP, not numbers from residents upset at the windfarm...I still say if the study found one second over 45 db we'd have heard about it. Prove me wrong by pointing us to the study results. And don't forget 45 db is "minimum street noise". You won't find too many sypathetic to having to live within that limit!..especially in Mars Hill.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM

24 posts, read 52,824 times
Cool Levels reported are higher Kelly

The state report has been filed and levels at several residences around the mountain are higher than the limits. The permits were issued based on wind speeds that are half what Mars Hill Mountain averages. More testing has been proposed over the next year and the state hasn't decided what action will be taken if any.

You are certainly entitled to your oppinion, as everyone is, but It's too bad though that people keep telling residents living with the problem that it doesn't matter and it's just peachy. Don't belittle the sacrifices these people are making against their will. Land was bought, homes built when it was still a different world "Behind the Mountain." Unless you live here you have no idea what that meant to us who do.

To quote the Bangor Daily:
"Wind farm operation sound levels in the study ranged from 30 to 52 decibels, depending on how hard and which way the wind was blowing and at what percentage the turbines were operating."

"Alvarez confirmed that estimates showed there would be sounds above 45 and 50 decibels at some spots around the mountain. But he added that the DEP granted the permit with a variance that allows UPC to operate the turbines at those sound levels.

The DEP gave the variance because its site rules were based on wind speeds half as strong as what Mars Hill gets; and the stronger the wind, the louder the sound is going to be. " (Production good at new wind farm (http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=151492&zoneid=500 - broken link) Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Bangor Daily News)

Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 PM

Cool Low Frequency Noise and Physical problems

There is a basis for complaint about the noise levels.....even low frequency noise has a negative physical impact on people..........I think Kelly, that a little more research other than relaxing at the country club while playing golf would put you more in touch with some of the issues. If you have an open mind and do a little "investigating" you'll realize that there are numerous issues with the whole way the project was handled from the beginning. Without the financial backing of big money companies and low budget towns this would never have happened. We are one of the first, but if people take the time to educate themselves we don't have to be the last!

"First of all, ‘wind turbine syndrome' is not yet recognized as a disease, but is a term coined by Dr. Pierpont to encompass an emerging complex of symptoms associated with prolonged exposre to wind turbines that derive from both visual and auditory disturbances. Description of a syndrome is the first stage in the recognition of a disease, whether it arises from biological or physical causes. Thus, the human form of mad cow disease was labelled Creutzfeld-Jacob Syndrome before its cause was identified. However, one component of wind turbine syndrome, vibroacoustic disease (VAD), is already a recognized disease and is known to be caused by low frequency noise (LFN).

Chronic exposure to LFN, similar to that produced by wind turbines, appears to specifically target the respiratory system causing various structural abnormalities to develop, but other pathologies also are significantly increased. These include abnormal function of the auditory lobe of the brain (Rev. Port. Pneumol. 2006, 12: 369-274), immune system impairment (Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 1999 3: A141-A144), cancers of the lung, especially squamous cell carcinoma (Rev. Port. Pneumol. 2006, 12: 539-544) and induction of epileptic seizures (Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 1999, 3: A122-A127).
July 4, 2007 by J.P. Michaud, Hays in Ellis County Environmental Awareness

Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM

To download your own copy of the noise level reports you can find it here
Industrial Wind Action Group | Mars Hill wind project sound level study

Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
845 posts, read 1,989,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaizyMaine View Post
I think Kelly, that a little more research other than relaxing at the country club while playing golf would put you more in touch with some of the issues. If you have an open mind and do a little "investigating" you'll realize that there are numerous issues with the whole way the project was handled from the beginning. Without the financial backing of big money companies and low budget towns this would never have happened. We are one of the first, but if people take the time to educate themselves we don't have to be the last!
One of the best quotes I have read in 18 months regarding the subject...

Fore!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,185,439 times
I just finished reading the full report. I still can't see what people are complaining about. The report quite clearly states that noise levels are within state standards and within levels predicted before the wind project was built.

And yet again people are complaining because the turbines were built by -- gasp!!! -- corporations who know how to build and operate them. I assume you also don't drive a car built by a "big money corporation" or eat food produced by a "big money corporation" or even work for a "big money corporation."

Gawd, the hypocrisy is incredible.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:39 AM

655 posts, read 1,099,388 times
DaizyMaine,
Thanks for pointing out the location of the wind study. And thanks again for the personal attack. I have no right to an opinion since all I do is enjoy the golf course. I also have a mind of my own. One that disliked the thought of windmills on Mars Hill Mountain. Once there were in place I also thought I would hate them. When completed however, I, with my open mind, couldn't see what the problem was. I spoke to many Mars Hill residents, all who support the Wind Farm. I will make up my own mind, thank you. Now for some highlights of the wind study.

"To determine the sound level contribution of the Wind Farm alone, non-Wind Farm sound must be subtracted from measured sound levels at each position. These sounds include wind sound, wind-induced sound in trees, frogs, birds and local traffic. The contribution of frogs and birds can be identified from third octave band sound level measurements (see Appendix V). The contribution of wind related sound is difficult to identify due to similarities with the frequency spectra of Wind Farm sound.

Much like sound from wind turbines, wind-induced sound changes with wind conditions. Shielding from vegetation and terrain varies with wind direction and gradients, and can fluctuate significantly over brief periods due to wind gusts and flow patterns around the ridge. Without specific wind data for each monitoring position, it was necessary to estimate the contribution of ambient sound levels from measurements during periods of May 2007 operations testing when winds were light to calm and wind turbines not operating. This is a conservative approach to estimating ambient sound levels that are likely to occur during periods of significant Wind Farm operation. Sound level monitoring results and field observations from both December 2006 and May 2007 indicate that ambient sound levels during wind conditions required for significant Wind Farm operation are generally higher than estimated by this method. As a result, it is likely that the sound contribution due to Wind Farm operation has been slightly over-estimated in some cases, despite the correction for ambient.

Monitor Position, Greatest hourly Reading , Ambient Sound , Wind Farm
MP1 , 52 db, 40 db, 12 db
MP2, 36 db, 30 db, 6 db
MP3, 37 db, 31 db, 6 db
MP4, 37 db, 34 db, 3 db
MP5, 40 db, 34 db, 6 db
MP6, 45 db, 33 db, 12 db
MP6A, 44 db, 33 db, 11 db
MP7, 44 db, 32 db, 12 db
MP8, 50 db, 39 db, 11 db"

Everything above taken directly from the report, with the exception for the column subtracting ambient sound from total sound. That's what were are talking about. How much has the Wind Farm changed the sounds heard on the Mountain. From my reading, the ambient or background noise levels are conservative making the sounds attributed to the wind farm greater than might be the actual case. Subtracting the ambient sound from the greatest hourly reading gives the sounds attributed from the Wind Farm. Largest number I see is 12 db. Is that why we haven't heard much about the outcome of the sound study. Biggest noise on Mars Hill Mountain is the wind blowing. Great place to build a wind farm!!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 AM

36 posts, read 75,441 times
Thank you Daizy. I have now lost our wireless access, so this is kind of painful on dialup! I don't spend a whole lot of time online anymore!

One little note... when my husband was reading over that sound study he found an error in what UPC reported to the DEP. He pointed that error out to Mr. Alvarez, and Mr. Alvarez confirmed the incorrect data and then reported it to the DEP. Seems to me if one error can be found, more can be also, if you just know what it is you are looking at.

qhmare

Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM

36 posts, read 75,441 times
Oh yes... and if you note where those sound data recorders are placed, aren't almost all right up next to trees? That will make the sound of the wind in the trees louder than if you are located away from trees... like we are. I think I recall that the data recorders can't be placed in open fields, I don't recall why, but if they could be you might find that the wind in the trees in those areas isn't really all that loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine