Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times

Advertisements

NOW, who's off subject?
(Keep it up, Maineah. Your rants are so entertaining :-)
Seriously, I'm trying to learn and minimize the expensive mistakes. I thought pellet stoves were to supplement a regular heating system, or for backup in a power failure. But it sounds like ya'll (yeah, I said "ya'll") use them for everyday heating.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:34 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I think that in every discussion of pellet stoves, the draw back of needing electricity comes up. It must!

We use electric circ pumps to move heated water in our radiant floor. When the power goes out, we 'lose' the heated floor.

However in our case, our stove is still located in the center of our home. So it still burns fuel, makes heat, and can heat our home.

I think that anyone who goes ahead with a pellet stove, is assuming that they will still survive when the power goes out.

This time our power was lost for 12 hours. Next time it could be 4 days. No body knows.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:47 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
NOW, who's off subject?
(Keep it up, Maineah. Your rants are so entertaining :-)
Seriously, I'm trying to learn and minimize the expensive mistakes. I thought pellet stoves were to supplement a regular heating system, or for backup in a power failure. But it sounds like ya'll (yeah, I said "ya'll") use them for everyday heating.
Well I'm not sure if ya'll serious or giving me a hard time. I doesn't matter though . I'm just telling it like it is! Many people bought pellet stoves with the thought they would either be OK primary or good backup sources of heat. They are not living up to expectations. They cost more to run than a wood stove, are prone to malfunction, and need a constsant source of electricity to run. These are facts not a rant....ya'll

Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think that in every discussion of pellet stoves, the draw back of needing electricity comes up. It must!

We use electric circ pumps to move heated water in our radiant floor. When the power goes out, we 'lose' the heated floor.

However in our case, our stove is still located in the center of our home. So it still burns fuel, makes heat, and can heat our home.

I think that anyone who goes ahead with a pellet stove, is assuming that they will still survive when the power goes out.

This time our power was lost for 12 hours. Next time it could be 4 days. No body knows.
Exactly forest and well put. No one knows how long power will be out during one of these storms or how many storms we will have in a given year. To rely on a heat source which needs electricity to run is foolish.
That is unless you want to invest in a bank of car batteries ,inverter,or a significant generator to keep it going. With an investment in back up equipment you'll quickly pass the point of economical heat, which was the reason for buying the thing in the first place.
Watch Uncle Henry's next spring....you'll be able to buy all kinds of pellet stoves for half price!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 PM

227 posts, read 415,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well I'm not sure if ya'll serious or giving me a hard time. I doesn't matter though . I'm just telling it like it is! Many people bought pellet stoves with the thought they would either be OK primary or good backup sources of heat. They are not living up to expectations. They cost more to run than a wood stove, are prone to malfunction, and need a constsant source of electricity to run. These are facts not a rant....ya'll
For future consideration, I believe the proper term for several ya'lls are all y'all. Seriously, though, this is one southern term I really like. I doubt I would ever find myself saying something like "young'un" or "fixin to", etc. But y'all sounds so much friendlier than (New Jersey's and/or Boston's maybe) youse guys.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
For future consideration, I believe the proper term for several ya'lls are all y'all. Seriously, though, this is one southern term I really like. I doubt I would ever find myself saying something like "young'un" or "fixin to", etc. But y'all sounds so much friendlier than (New Jersey's and/or Boston's maybe) youse guys.
Something about that one that just turns my stomach!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Spose, you're a great gal and I like you a lot, but don't insult those of us from Boston and surrounding areas by suggesting we use that stupidspeech that Rocky liked!! That's a Philly, Joisey, N Yawk kind of speak... northern mid-atlantic region actually.

All ya'll is correct if we're talking about correct slang. lol

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Spose, you're a great gal and I like you a lot, but don't insult those of us from Boston and surrounding areas by suggesting we use that stupidspeech that Rocky liked!! That's a Philly, Joisey, N Yawk kind of speak... northern mid-atlantic region actually.

All ya'll is correct if we're talking about correct slang. lol
Whoops!! Sorry. I was going to try to say something in retreat here, but I think I'll quit while I'm behind.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Umm, I think we were talking about pellet stoves.....

Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times
Besides you never hear anyone say "I'm headed to north woods to cut some pellets"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine