Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
You Must Be Right!.....I saw two robins this week end; one in Gorham and the other in Saco.....

their migration must be triggered by length of day not temperatures...what will they find to eat...I know the early worm catches the worm....but they are "early birds by about 2 months.
Actually elston, not all robins migrate South for the winter. Most do, but there are always a few that stay behind for some unknown reason. I personally think it must be the clueless one myself. One day out flying with the rest of the neighborhood robins, the next all alone and frosty wondering what happened, and where did everybody go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Default Wrong Way Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually elston, not all robins migrate South for the winter. Most do, but there are always a few that stay behind for some unknown reason. I personally think it must be the clueless one myself. One day out flying with the rest of the neighborhood robins, the next all alone and frosty wondering what happened, and where did everybody go.
I had wondered if these might have "migrated" from Canada or Alaska to Maine and consider this SOUTH. But MW and you have made it much simpler.....they never left.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Speaking of weather. This isn't fair at all. I move to West Michigan after spending last winter in Caribou. Record snowfall, the works up there last winter. This winter up there, not so much I hear. According to NOAA Caribou has received just over 80" for the season. Now a quick look at my new location: usual snowfall is 89.7" a year... NOT this winter though. Oh no, that would be too easy of a winter for me; so to make me feel right at home, this area has managed to get 142" by the end of January (about 40" over where Caribou was the same time last year). We still have a couple more months of winter left.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Speaking of weather. This isn't fair at all. I move to West Michigan after spending last winter in Caribou. Record snowfall, the works up there last winter. This winter up there, not so much I hear. According to NOAA Caribou has received just over 80" for the season. Now a quick look at my new location: usual snowfall is 89.7" a year... NOT this winter though. Oh no, that would be too easy of a winter for me; so to make me feel right at home, this area has managed to get 142" by the end of January (about 40" over where Caribou was the same time last year). We still have a couple more months of winter left.
Perhaps the snow is simply following you...

Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,619 times
The ground was covered while we were in Calais. There was at least two feet of snow in most places, and it snowed twice while we were there. We were surprised at how quickly old habits of dealing with snow and ice came back to us. They tell us the snow should be gone when we get there in late March.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Default Snow Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
The ground was covered while we were in Calais. There was at least two feet of snow in most places, and it snowed twice while we were there. We were surprised at how quickly old habits of dealing with snow and ice came back to us. They tell us the snow should be gone when we get there in late March.
We moved to Gorham Maine last year the last week of March....there was still a lot of snow on the ground in our back yard....waist deep....and the piles that had been plowed off the driveway.....they weren't melted until mid April. You are much further north than we are....but also you are on the coast.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,619 times
That's the thing, being so close to the coast. They told us they usually don't have as much snow as they had this year in Calais, and everybody kept saying that the snow would be gone by the end of March. I know that further up the road, around Houlton and Fort Fairfield they get a lot more snow.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,575 times
it was wonderful to have a 44 degree day.... made it nice to get a few things done outside. Almost t-shirt weather. of course I know it won't last... just a taste of what Spring will be like next month

Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 AM

722 posts, read 1,511,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
it was wonderful to have a 44 degree day.... made it nice to get a few things done outside. Almost t-shirt weather. of course I know it won't last... just a taste of what Spring will be like next month
sunlight at the end of the winter tunnel?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
sunlight at the end of the winter tunnel?
Here, too.. though I missed uot a bit had a 7 hour play practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine