U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM

2,748 posts, read 5,136,007 times

Advertisements

We just retired our 1983 4 cylinder Ford Ranger pickup 4 x 4 this past summer. We bought her used with a plow in 1990 and everyone said "you can't plow with THAT"!
We commuted from Dover, NH to Wells everyday, rode to family gatherings in Boston and Machias and plowed our 1/4 mile road every winter. In 1997 she became solely the plow truck . She went through three motors in that time and one paint /body job.
I miss the ol' "Swamp Thing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 03:54 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,712,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
We just retired our 1983 4 cylinder Ford Ranger pickup 4 x 4 this past summer. We bought her used with a plow in 1990 and everyone said "you can't plow with THAT"!
We commuted from Dover, NH to Wells everyday, rode to family gatherings in Boston and Machias and plowed our 1/4 mile road every winter. In 1997 she became solely the plow truck . She went through three motors in that time and one paint /body job.
I miss the ol' "Swamp Thing".
I owned a 1988 F-150 that I had for nine years. It was a good truck. I put a clutch in it at around 60,000 miles, ball joints and several exhaust systems. Not too bad for nine years. I had a '97 F-150 that I kept for 9 years and put about $5000 worth of parts in. I was under it more than I was in it. The list of parts I had to put in that truck was staggering! Those trucks were worlds apart in quality. That '97 was a piece of crap and I was very happy to finally unload it on a dealer. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra now and have done nothing to it in two years so far except put 10 ply tires on it. The ride and power from the Toyota is far superior to the Ford. There are none of the rattles, knocks, pings or glitches the Ford had. My brother has a Ford Ranger and is trading it this spring for a Toyota Tacoma. His is a 2004 and he just spent $2500 on it for ball joints, brakes and a clutch. American made cars are sub-standard and we won't ever buy one again. I would not miss "The Big Three" if they folded tomorrow and certainly do not want to see taxpayers bail them out so they can continue to produce junk. If they do bail them out one of the stipulations should include these companies discontinuing their race teams. They spend millions on race development. Why should taxpayers pay for these clowns to make race cars??

Old 12-11-2008, 04:42 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,587,663 times
I do love my Toyota pickup (1990) but I had to use the Subaru today on my running, as Artie (the truck) had been sitting since before I went to NC and didn't want to start. I suspect it's new battery time...

However to bring us back on topic, when I let the dog out a few minutes ago there were horizontally traveling white things blowing across the open doorway. I think it's beginning...

Old 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM

It's past beginning around here. There are numerous accidents reported. Cars off all over the place. 295 was shut down for an accident in Yarmouth a while ago. There was also a rollover in Scarborough and one in Topsham. It's a mess!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM

467 posts, read 715,386 times
DH and I went out about 3:00 for our daily walk and part way through ice balls were falling and sticking to our hats. I haven't seen any cars out for a long time -- but then again our town only has 285 year round residents.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
DH and I went out about 3:00 for our daily walk and part way through ice balls were falling and sticking to our hats. I haven't seen any cars out for a long time -- but then again our town only has 285 year round residents.
285 smart people staying put!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM

722 posts, read 975,189 times
Never heard of ice accumulation like that before. I mean inches of ice? like snow? crazy

Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,895,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Never heard of ice accumulation like that before. I mean inches of ice? like snow? crazy
Yup...I know all about it here! All winter, we get a variety of "not-snow" - sleet, hail, freezing rain, ice, black ice, slush - but very little clean, dry, packed snow. It's a terrible commute for those who go into the city every day. On the rare occasions when we get "real snow", it usually melts in a couple of days. Then, it freezes over to ICE. Delightful.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM

6,310 posts, read 8,171,944 times
I was at Quonset Point for the 1967 blizzard. I had the operations watch and aside from Logan in Boston we had the only long runway open in New England. We took three civilian airliners with no place else to go. I brought the plow operators in and told them there was no way we could keep up if we plowed from the center to the edges. The runway was about 300 feet wide.

I had them plow the outside quarters first, leaving a 100 foot wide strip of snow in the middle. Then we split that and pushed that snow all the way to the edges. The CO was amazed that we were open when Otis, South Weymouth, Westover and Pease were all closed. He asked how I knew how to do that. I just said we know how to move snow in Maine. What I did was what anybody would do with a pickup plowing out a supermarket. I didn't tell the CO that. I told him it was good engineering. He liked that.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,366,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Freakin' Old Rusty Dog

No rust in NM though right AlisonL??
Haven't seen any. But have seen some sweet looking 60s Mustangs and pickups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine