Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM

227 posts, read 413,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have a wretched mess coming.

It has been a while since we have had a freezing rain event with up to an inch of ice accumulation on everything. Somebody will lose power and it will likely be widespread across Maine from Byron to Talmadge.

There; Look those towns up.

I'm not familiar with Talmadge but definitely Byron and jumping off "the rock" at Coos Canyon growing up. Not the bridge, not that crazy. Coos Canyon has changed a LOT since then though.

OT: Waiting to cross (not starting to cross) Rt 17 at Coos Canyon a year or so ago, a car STOPPED to let us cross. This is not like being in a town center. I'm talking Rt 17! Speed limit must be at least 40 mph if not more. DH was totally floored. Actually, so was I.

Back on topic, sort of: Don't think any cars will be stopping with what will surely be very icy roads tonight/tomorrow. Don't think there'll be any pedestrians trying to cross the road anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,556,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Ohhhh, heard it before... First On Race Day.

Or

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found Off Road in Ditch

Just Empty Every Pocket.

I have had a couple of Ford trucks though, and I would put them up against any GM or Dodge!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 AM

474 posts, read 1,411,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
RMoore007,
If your vehicle is more than 3 years old you might just as well replace all your brake lines under the vehicle right now. Auto mechanics have had an economic boom ever since the State went to calcium chloride on the roads. It eats brake lines. Better to put in the $250 worth of stainless brake lines now than to wreck your vehicle when the brakes fail.

One more surprise; Don't buy the blue windshield washer fluid. Get Rainex. It makes it so easy to scrape any ice off that you can often just use your wipers.
WOW! These are things I have never thought of AND I certainly do appreciate the hints. I'll be there soon - I just know I will.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
The wretched mess has departed and the power companies are putting our grid back together. Our power came on a few minutes ago. They still say it will be Sunday until the last homes have power again.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,429,376 times
The power on the island came on this morning. Someone had to remind everyone out there to adjust their clocks due to the time between when the town lost power and the town generator kicked in. About 10 minutes.

STILL no power in most of Harpswell.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
WOW! These are things I have never thought of AND I certainly do appreciate the hints. I'll be there soon - I just know I will.
Think twice about the Rainex!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 PM

722 posts, read 1,504,486 times
I got my post pulled, My bad ,sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,416,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
I got my post pulled, My bad ,sorry if I offended anyone.

It was prolly pulled due to the hint about the f bomb. No worries here Tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine