Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 13,679 times

Advertisements

In a few years I have to move out of my home and would like to move to Maine. I have no idea where I'd like to move to in Maine, so I thought someone might have some ideas to help me narrow down my search. Since it will, hopefully, be my last move I'm being picky. I'd like to move to an area which has natural gas; cable (I'm spoiled); and isn't too far from a good hospital. I love the ocean, and would like to be within 10 or fifteen minutes from the coast, otherwise a nice, large lake would do. I also love the mountains, but I realize I can't have everything! I'd also like to pay cash for my new home so we're talking about an area that isn't out of my price range. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 06:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Hi Joan,

Here's a cut and paste from your post on the other thread where you asked questions last night. There's another gal on here from Cape Cod too... palval lives down in Sandwich. We got together for dinner a few weeks ago at the Old Yarmouth Inn....

Hi Joan,

Where are you on the Cape? I"m here in Brewster (West).

So, you have 3 years to get out of the house? That's generous!! You've come to the right place for info on your ideas re Maine.

Welcome and good luck with your search!

Gale

Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,679 times
I'm in Barnstable. I loved the Cape when I moved here in '94, but things have been going downhill steadily. I figure since I have to be out of here in 3 -4 years, I might as well start planning what I'm going to do. I've been picking up Down East magazine for the last year or so and there seem to be many beautiful places in Maine, so it gets confusing since I don't know too much about the state. I do remember my parents taking my family on vacations there when I was about 5 or 6 years old. Many, many moons ago. I think we went to West Gouldsboro. The cabin we stayed at was on Jones Pond and I remember watching a white and blue sea plane taking off every morning. And the blueberries!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love those wild blueberries......mmmmmmmmm!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
If you want natural gas you'll be living in Portland, or Lewiston. Most places have cable TV. Both cities have a hospital or two. Portland is near the ocean, Lewiston is closer to the mountains. You'll need about $275,000 for a decent house in the Lewiston area. You'll need at least $350,000 in Portland.

Last edited by Maineah; 12-13-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
If you could live without the natural gas, try looking into Eastport. There are several CD'ers already there and more of us on our way someday. Try this on for size.
Eastport, Maine Area Information Directory

Old 12-14-2008, 05:39 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
I think you are setting up some hurdles that will make your choice of a Maine location the perfect setting for a bad mistake.

I moved here from Centerville in 1977. I had a family cottage to move to and "knew" Maine, since I had been coming here ever since I was six months old for vacations. Once I was actually here, what I didn't know about Maine would have filled numerous encyclopedias. I think that is where you are, right now.

Let's begin with some basics. Why do you think you want to come to Maine? Do you think it will be cheaper to live here as you get older? Do you think it will be less croweded than it is on Cape Cod? Do you think it will be a simpler way to live than it is in on the Cape, which is now so terrifically developed? If any of these apply, perhaps you should consider this:

1. Maine will not offer much less expensive living than Cape Cod unless you are a fairly significant distance from the major cities. Median house prices in Hyannis, for instance, are relatively similar to those in Portland, Maine's largest city. But winters are longer and colder here than on the Cape, and your heating bills and electric bills will be higher here than on the Cape.
2. It will be far less crowded here any time during the year than it is on the Cape. Maine has a population of about 1.3 million people, but did you know that Maine's area is about the size of all the rest of New England combined? This is a big area for a small population, and services and "amenities" suffer as a result. Maine is a state of small towns, with most of the "towns" having a population of around 5000 people or less. You may expect to get into your car and drive half an hour to find almost anything you need, on any given day.
3. YOu mentioned Downeast Magazine. Do not even fantasize that Downeast Magazine represents Maine as it really is. Downeast Magazine is the magazine about Maine for people who live in southern Connecticut and would prefer to live somewhere else. In comparison to Cape Cod, most of Maine appears to be a really poor state.

Forget about natural gas. Saying that you want to have natural gas as a significant limitation to where you live in Maine, is like saying that you would like to live on the moon but have regular commuter service to Miami Beach. Maine has some natural gas, but most homes in Maine are heated by fuel oil. If cooking with gas is what you have in mind, you will be using propane. More rural areas will heat and sometimes cook with wood.

The southwestern corner of Maine...Cumberland and York Counties...host the majority of the population of the state and as such, are much more like the Cape Cod that you are interested in leaving. The city of Portland lies there as the county seat of Cumberland County, and there are big shopping centers, the water, and a lot of culture that you won't find elsewhere in Maine. From where you are on the Cape, this is where you should begin your search, and probably end it. In that general area you will find more of what you have in Massachusetts but it will be less crowded and less frenetic during any one season. You will also have cable service almost everywhere.

But whatever the issues that you may have, I am sure that everyone who is watching this thread on this list will tell you that you must start right now by coming to Maine and exploring. I would suggest strongly that you plan now to come to Portland and spend a week exploring Portland, Cumberland, Falmouth, Yarmouth, Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, and the towns just to the west of Portland. Once you have done that, plan a trip to Bangor or Lewiston and do the same thing. Next might be Rockland, then Ellsworth, then Eastport. If you do those things you will have a fair picture of what Maine does and doesn't offer you, and from those locations you can see everthing that you will want to see within half an hour of the coast. You won't have "seen Maine", but you will have seen what your first post has indicated that you are looking for for now.

If you will write again with some specifics that you need or want, you will get a lot more information in return. For example, will you need air transportation out of Maine for family visits? Will you need a certain kind of food for dietary purposes? Certain kinds of medical treatment? Do you have specific social or religious concerns that are important for you to maintain? Remember: 1.3 million people scattered about means there are fewer items that you can take for granted now, and they are scattered about.

Good luck, and write again. You are starting early enough to learn enough to make a good choice, but expect to make it a major hobby for the next three years because it is a big move that can be great or really, really bad.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,931 times
Well, I have to tell ya, I live in Eastport. It's a nice pretty little island and folks are nice for the most part. Aot like everywhere else but when your a freind here it is better than most; IMHO. But then again growing up here I am biased. I told DW that I only had one move left in me. One box and 6 of my friends to lug it.

However, comma, when it comes to ease of getting places I always thought it was easier when I lived in Bangor. Everything (sights and places) seemed no more than a few hours drive. Portland is about 2 hours and so are the mountains. the coast is close too deopending on where you are going. It always struck me as a good "jumping off" point.

There are 2 hospitals that are really good, EMMC and St. Joseph's. And plenty of clinics there. And the doctors are good mostly. I had one at St Joes that I relly liked. Sat and talked and would remember it in 6 months to a year later when I went back.

I would start looking in Bangor real estate ads. See what you can find. As I recall the prices were fairly good on houses there. Just stay away from the numbered streets (First, Second, etc) as they seemed to have the crime problems. I may be wrong.

Not that I don't love home but it sounds like Bangor may be a place you'd like. Spend some time looking around at some point and not just Bangor. The towns around there are nice too.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM

143 posts, read 252,826 times
Default 3 Capers

Hey, Gale and JoanEm! How 'bout if we three Cape Codders get together soon after the holidays and hash over our Maine inclinations? Three heads are better than one...whatdoyathink?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Works for me Val!!! I'd even love to host the get together here if you'd like. We can chat about it after the holidays. There's a few more Cape Codders on here too, but they seldom post. Maybe we could do a holiday get together of some sort. .... after it's gone by.... lol it's okay by me... here, there, or anywhere!! I'm always up for a social event.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
JoanEM, You have hit the jackpot. Everything you want is in the Brunswick, Maine area and the military is moving out. In the next few years there are going to be some incredible home bargains. That's the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine