Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,925 times

Advertisements

the benefit of not haveing a basement is.not haveing to have a sump pump not haveing to worry about water flooding your basement and destroying you stuff or even worse your heating system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM

139 posts, read 360,836 times
I agree with Maineah! but a person would only need between 6 and 8 inches for a cement slab. If you want it heated that will cost ya, but you will not regret it! Trust me!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
I could swim in my basement after every 3 inch rain storm. Without a sump pump I would have to replace my furnace burner annually and it's up 8 inches from the floor on blocks!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Living View Post
I agree with Maineah! but a person would only need between 6 and 8 inches for a cement slab. If you want it heated that will cost ya, but you will not regret it! Trust me!!!
True.... though we had a 12" slab at that duplex we used to own and it was bombproof!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,433,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I could swim in my basement after every 3 inch rain storm. Without a sump pump I would have to replace my furnace burner annually and it's up 8 inches from the floor on blocks!
I can relate, Maineah!

Our basement has everything up on cement blocks...furnace, extra refrigerator, winter-stored deck furniture. We also get lots of 3-4" flooding with winter rains and spring snowmelt. We also have a sump pump, as you do. Can't store anything down there made of fabric or cardboard, as it gets all mildewed.

When we build in Maine, we will not have a basement, regardless of the land type. A contractor friend told us it was just 30% more building cost for space that would never be really useable.

So we decided to just put in a foundation with crawl space, insulate well underneath, and maybe later build a barn - like you! - for storage!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 AM

95 posts, read 335,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGUY View Post
YES AND THERE ARE HOMES IN Florida with Fall Out shelters -- Google "Cape Coral House Fall Out shelter" - How neat - A Blast from the past.

Have you been to Peanut Island?

That is where JFK had his bomb shelter, during the Cuban Missile crisis.

It is a man-made island, in the middle of the West Palm Beach Intercoastal. I've been there a few times, it is now open to the public for tours, The Coast Guard operates the tours, but anyone can visit if you have a boat. It's a great place for a picnic!

The boat leaves from West Palm, and takes visitors to the island on a regular schedule.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,853,350 times
Now here's a home with a real basement! Missile Bases :: 20th Century Castles, Unique underground properties. Plenty more where that comes from too.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM

357 posts, read 1,015,392 times
why crawl space? , it is a useless space with additional cost and problem with critters and moisture.
why not just build on the slab, it can be insulate under the concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I can relate, Maineah!

Our basement has everything up on cement blocks...furnace, extra refrigerator, winter-stored deck furniture. We also get lots of 3-4" flooding with winter rains and spring snowmelt. We also have a sump pump, as you do. Can't store anything down there made of fabric or cardboard, as it gets all mildewed.

When we build in Maine, we will not have a basement, regardless of the land type. A contractor friend told us it was just 30% more building cost for space that would never be really useable.

So we decided to just put in a foundation with crawl space, insulate well underneath, and maybe later build a barn - like you! - for storage!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,119,340 times
I just did a quick search for residential property currently listed in my area. I'm showing about 25% of these do not have basements or are built on a slab.

Results for Hancock County only.

1139 residential properties are currently listed.
276 of these have no basement or are built on a slab.

Also in Hancock County, interestingly, last year, 115 properties with no basements were sold; 46 of those were listed for over $200,000; and 7 of those were listed for over $2,000,000.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
the benefit would be not having more space to put clutter. Wish I didn't have one at times.....
I live in a split....so there is technically no basement.....my garage is filled

i will often see spilt homes where the cars are IN the driveway for what I assume is the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine