U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM

416 posts, read 634,508 times
Default Chimney Cleaning/Ashes

Minus 6 degrees here in WI tonight. Got the ole wood stove cranked up. How many of you guys/gals out there clean your own chimney? Heard a guy on radio the other day saying that if you have a metal chimney you shouldn't use a wire brush to clean it (like I have for years). The wire brush will scratch the chimney liner and rust will result. A Poly brush is best. I guess it makes sense. Also - you guys probably know this - I heard about it a couple years ago. Don't let your ashes pile up above grates - it will burn out and warp grates. Before I heard this I went thru at least 3 sets of grates, and they can be expensive. But accumulated ashes sure make a nice bed of coals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,613,025 times
every morning when you fill up your stove leter rore for a cpl min.it keeps it cleaned but this does not work with green wood.i have never cleand a chimney.if you dont let it build up you wont have a fire.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,394,427 times
I clean mine. It's a tile lined masonry chimney I have a wire brush and a 25 foot fiberglass rod. It really never has much crap in it though. Like Ranger says just burn it hot once a day or so and you won't have a problem.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,752,498 times
Open it up and let it fire up real good and hot.

My ex would clean it out in a rather peculiar way... he'd tie a rope around a piece of firewood and drop it down the chimney, swish it around - up and down. Then come in and clean up all the mess inside the stove.

I'm not sure how efficient that method was.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,394,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Open it up and let it fire up real good and hot.

My ex would clean it out in a rather peculiar way... he'd tie a rope around a piece of firewood and drop it down the chimney, swish it around - up and down. Then come in and clean up all the mess inside the stove.

I'm not sure how efficient that method was.
Old fashioned window weights on a rope work too. You just have to be careful you don't swing them and punch them through the liner.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM

21,671 posts, read 27,674,785 times
I clean our stove pipe every summer.

I pull the stove pipe sections apart, take them outside and bang them on the ground.

Put them back together, and reapply stove black.

We burn green wood, peat or coal. Paper, cardboard, and woodchips soaked in WVO.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 AM

341 posts, read 916,318 times
We have a stainless steel chimney that we clean with an 8'' round poly brush
and pushed up through the chimney with fiberglass rods. We do this every 2 years, and looking at the debris, it probably could go 3 or 4.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 AM

653 posts, read 1,227,427 times
thank you guy on chimney cleaning, it would help chimney newbie to spend thire money wisely.
the recomendation have it clean before season start may be to exstream.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM

6,155 posts, read 7,841,465 times
I cleaned my chimney once when I bought the house 25 years ago. I have never cleaned it since. I just open the clean-out door, stick a mirror in there and look up at the sky. If you see a nice blue square your chimney is OK.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM

653 posts, read 1,227,427 times
yankee engineuity, will suffer the least in this economic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I cleaned my chimney once when I bought the house 25 years ago. I have never cleaned it since. I just open the clean-out door, stick a mirror in there and look up at the sky. If you see a nice blue square your chimney is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine