U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM

7,758 posts, read 4,361,361 times

Advertisements

I tend to not use the emergency brake if the weather is slushy or rain turning to hard ice as it can freeze up in the locked position.

Sometimes I pull the wipers away from the winshield when I park so they don't freeze to the glass and have the rubber damaged when trying to free them.

Synthetic tow straps would be good to have in a car. In the truck I keep a length of chain in one of those kitty litter plastic containers with the screw lid. A clevis or hook appropriate for that chain prevents the rest of the chain from going into the bucket. Also several different length cable chockers with clevises. Don't go anywhere without my chain comealong.
A big length of rope for whatever. Handy if someone goes thru the ice.
Of course a shovel, stove, foul weather gear, ground cloth, hunk of timber to block the wheels when changing a tire, etc. I also carry one of those tall steel jack/fence pullers for quick tire changes or to lift the vehicle off rocks. Weird stuff happens.

Never without a long breaker bar and impact socket to fit my lug nuts. Too often folks get new tires or tires rotated by some idiot that uses excessive force to bolt the wheel back on. Aside from making it impossible to change a flat using the car manufacturer's jack and lug wrench it can cause the brake rotor to warp.
With a length of pipe and a breaker bar, anyone can loosen their lug nuts with ease.

Snow clogged exhaust will prevent a car form running, like the old potato up the exhaust pipe trick. Becareful when backing into a parking place with a big snowbank.

Spray some Kroil, wd40 or some other penetrant on every part that bolts together. Or clean the nut/bolt well with simple green and spray on some silver or black rusoleum. Do this throught the year. Check out your gas and brake lines as they rot out way too soon on chevy trucks especially the area just before the driver side rear wheel and on top of the gas tank. Constantly treat those areas as well.

Take your truck spare tire down in the fall to free up tight bolts and crud and get familiar with how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

181 posts, read 332,894 times
MW, thanks for mentioning the self-contained jumper cables that can be charged at home. I'm definitely going to look for those!

I get a bit nervous when I think about how patchy cell phone reception is, especially in northern or rural areas. Down here, I feel relatively secure knowing that I can almost always get reception to reach friends if I need them. Is there a certain cell company that offers the best coverage up there?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,894,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I asked if there wasn't a spray de-icer on the market. One more thing to add to the list. I already keep emergency items in the truck for isolated desert living. Amazing how many are needed for climates like Maine--jumper cables because we run into a lot of people with old, worn out cars, tow ropes, same reason, water because it's the desert, I also keep an air compresser that plugs into the cigarette lighter. We get a lot of flats from the rocks around here. I picked up a tow rope and an emergency jump starter the other day. And we ALWAYS have our cell phones. I carry a small LED flashlight in my purse and a .380 in the dash. The last two are for the rare occassions when I've stepped out of my truck after dark and heard hissing like a broken water pipe. Flashlight to find the target, .380 to send it to rattlesnake heaven.
Prestone makes a deicer.

Tow straps, a length of 3/4-1in. yacht braid and last, but not least a HI JACK, are in valuable. Of course an electric winch that goes over your rear or front ball.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 AM

653 posts, read 1,256,039 times
are these things for day to day driving around in Maine or when plan a trip out to the boonie some where .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Make sure to carry at least one blanket, warm gloves, winter coat and hat.
Tow rope or strap, tire chains and a bag of kitty litter for traction.
Flashlight, shovel and scraper.
Matches and a fire extinguisher (in case you build too big a fire)
...and water-plenty of it. An average person cannot live more than three days without water. There have been many incidents of vehicles leaving the pavement and not being seen from the road for days.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:13 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,894,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
are these things for day to day driving around in Maine or when plan a trip out to the boonie some where .
For the boonies, you also need a winch and a chainsaw.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM

2,303 posts, read 3,910,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
Ya know, I don't carry all these items myself, but it's a good idea for someone to have when they are traveling unfamiliar territory. (especially with kids on board)
I always have jumper cables, shovel and a tow strap. I don't get out much, but when I do, it's usually on snowshoes or skis.
Cell phones are handy in an emergency, but please do not rely on cell service in the area you need it. Be prepared with an emergency kit.
One more thought..........OK maybe two, make sure you have water proof matches, wooden, dipped in paraffin. Do not depend on a lighter as it could leak it's contents. If a fire is needed, you can cut the foam out of the seat, (you need a knife), soak the foam in gas and it will burn slow like a wick.
Equally as important is a piece of tinfoil to melt snow in, or drink brook water out of.
FAQ

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 AM

5,669 posts, read 7,775,347 times
Keep budget cuts in mind while you're out after a storm. Our local DOT is now off the road from 10 pm to 4 am unless the conditions are extreme. There has to be 2" of snow before they go out and they must wait for a call, not use their years of experience to make the best decision on when to go out. I hit black ice twice two after a small storm this week. Some roads are being down graded in importance and won't be as good as they used to be during and right after a storm. Rt 9 has been down graded according to an email Steve received at work.

If you go off the road be SURE your exhaust is clear before you run the car.

Remember that you're off the road because it's slippery and stay back a safe distance when waving down help. Someone will stop to help you.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM

653 posts, read 1,256,039 times
I better take my truck, i don't think wife will let me cut her car seat up to light fire.
then again her is newer all wheel drive with all the comfi, my is 8 year old truck, may be better to take her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Ya know, I don't carry all these items myself, but it's a good idea for someone to have when they are traveling unfamiliar territory. (especially with kids on board)
I always have jumper cables, shovel and a tow strap. I don't get out much, but when I do, it's usually on snowshoes or skis.
Cell phones are handy in an emergency, but please do not rely on cell service in the area you need it. Be prepared with an emergency kit.
One more thought..........OK maybe two, make sure you have water proof matches, wooden, dipped in paraffin. Do not depend on a lighter as it could leak it's contents. If a fire is needed, you can cut the foam out of the seat, (you need a knife), soak the foam in gas and it will burn slow like a wick.
Equally as important is a piece of tinfoil to melt snow in, or drink brook water out of.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:56 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 850,501 times
I grew up in the backwoods of the Blue Ridge and was raised by parents who grew up in houses where heat and cooking were done with firewood and 99% of what they ate they grew, raised in a pen, or hunted in the woods. I didn't know the survivalist skills I learned growing up were going to come in handy in Maine.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 PM

6,303 posts, read 8,162,279 times
Preparedness skills will serve you well all your life no matter where you are and you will never earn the Darwin award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine