Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:07 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
One thing we definitely need that we've never really kept here is an emergency roadside kit. We don't even have a set of jumper cables in the van. I'm betting the kit for Maine will consist of much different things than it would down here!
A small shovel and a rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A small shovel and a rope.
Shall I throw in a tarp to hide the body in the trunk?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Shall I throw in a tarp to hide the body in the trunk?
LOL

Not unless you feel you need to.

Picture this: you slide into a snow bank. If you had a small shovel and a rope then, you could remove the snow from underneath your rear bumper, reach underneath and attach the rope. Then as you stand there with the other end of the rope in your hand. The very next car to drive by, will slow down and ask if you need a hand.

Since you already have the rope attached and and in your hand; they put their car in position to receive your rope. They yank your car out from the snow bank and in less than a minute they are on their way again traveling down the road.

I have seen this scene, and yes the very next car to pass, will usually stop to ask if you need help.

But they may not have a rope, ...

If you do have a rope, and it is already hooked up, the entire process is very fast.

Sunday evening, and again yesterday, I saw pickups on the side of the road. I stopped both times and offered assistance.

To place a phone call, to jump a dead battery, to yank a fool out from a snow bank; none of these things are hard to do, and they are good for your karma.

But you need to carry a cellphone, a set of jumper cables and a rope; to be able to assist folks.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:12 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

Not unless you feel you need to.

Picture this: you slide into a snow bank. If you had a small shovel and a rope then, you could remove the snow from underneath your rear bumper, reach underneath and attach the rope. Then as you stand there with the other end of the rope in your hand. The very next car to drive by, will slow down and ask if you need a hand.

Since you already have the rope attached and and in your hand; they put their car in position to receive your rope. They yank your car out from the snow bank and in less than a minute they are on their way again traveling down the road.

I have seen this scene, and yes the very next car to pass, will usually stop to ask if you need help.

But they may not have a rope, ...

If you do have a rope, and it is already hooked up, the entire process is very fast.

Sunday evening, and again yesterday, I saw pickups on the side of the road. I stopped both times and offered assistance.

To place a phone call, to jump a dead battery, to yank a fool out from a snow bank; none of these things are hard to do, and they are good for your karma.

But you need to carry a cellphone, a set of jumper cables and a rope; to be able to assist folks.

now picture this when you hook your rope to the other car hetugs to hard and the rope breaks and go's through your back window.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:22 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
One thing we definitely need that we've never really kept here is an emergency roadside kit. We don't even have a set of jumper cables in the van. I'm betting the kit for Maine will consist of much different things than it would down here!
My jumper cables are self contained. It's a battery pack type of thing. You charge it in the house. When you need it, you hook it to your battery, turn it on and start the vehicle. You don't have to wait for someone to come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
now picture this when you hook your rope to the other car hetugs to hard and the rope breaks and go's through your back window.
I worry about that.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
My DH usually uses a large chain when pulling things, I imagine that would take out a back window in a heartbeat I'll stand clear

Old 12-20-2008, 03:46 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
Make sure to carry at least one blanket, warm gloves, winter coat and hat.
Tow rope or strap, tire chains and a bag of kitty litter for traction.
Flashlight, shovel and scraper.
Matches and a fire extinguisher (in case you build too big a fire)
...and water-plenty of it. An average person cannot live more than three days without water. There have been many incidents of vehicles leaving the pavement and not being seen from the road for days.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Make sure to carry at least one blanket, warm gloves, winter coat and hat.
Tow rope or strap, tire chains and a bag of kitty litter for traction.
Flashlight, shovel and scraper.
Matches and a fire extinguisher (in case you build too big a fire)
...and water-plenty of it. An average person cannot live more than three days without water. There have been many incidents of vehicles leaving the pavement and not being seen from the road for days.
Great tips though the water in the Maine winter can be a problem as it freezes. Make sure your water is in a plastic bottle which can expand . Glass will break.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:01 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,879 times
I don't think this has been mentioned but what comes in handy sometimes is a SPRAY bottle of windshield and wiper de-icer. Some vehicles in certain weather conditons do not have adequate defrosters (Dodge Sprinter for example) and cannot keep windshields clear. Just spray some of this stuff on windshield or any window and, presto, ice dissolves. About a $1.99 a bottle. Talking about pre-diluted anti-freeze. It's a ripoff imho. You're paying the same for one gallon of that stuff when you can get 2 gallons from the straight stuff by adding your own "free" water to make it a 50/50 mixture. Also as was mentioned, carry a good tow strap. I've seen times when a County snow plow will pull you out of snow bank only if you have your own chain/tow strap and hook it up yourself. That relieves them of liability if something should happen.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,767 times
I asked if there wasn't a spray de-icer on the market. One more thing to add to the list. I already keep emergency items in the truck for isolated desert living. Amazing how many are needed for climates like Maine--jumper cables because we run into a lot of people with old, worn out cars, tow ropes, same reason, water because it's the desert, I also keep an air compresser that plugs into the cigarette lighter. We get a lot of flats from the rocks around here. I picked up a tow rope and an emergency jump starter the other day. And we ALWAYS have our cell phones. I carry a small LED flashlight in my purse and a .380 in the dash. The last two are for the rare occassions when I've stepped out of my truck after dark and heard hissing like a broken water pipe. Flashlight to find the target, .380 to send it to rattlesnake heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine