U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Richmond
70 posts, read 172,459 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

I currently live in the state of Georgia and am considering moving to northern New England. Are there any people from the South that have moved to Maine that would like to share their experience? How successful was your move? Do you like it there? What do you miss/not miss? Long detailed answers will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
 
Location: some where maine
2,059 posts, read 3,713,867 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
I currently live in the state of Georgia and am considering moving to northern New England. Are there any people from the South that have moved to Maine that would like to share their experience? How successful was your move? Do you like it there? What do you miss/not miss? Long detailed answers will be appreciated!
my wife is from GA she has been here allmost 20 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport Maine
1,324 posts, read 2,603,041 times
Reputation: 1389
I am from West Virginia - not sure that's as South as you are thinking but I hate the humidity and heat from May to October. I hate canned air conditioning, I love open windows. I can't stand the smog, haze, traffic, road rage, rude, uncaring masses of people clogging up the interstates and roads all day long. I can't stand the high home costs, high taxes, the dreaded User Fee in my state. I needed snow, crisp weather, roadside produce stands, room to breathe, more than 10 feet between houses, breezes, smiling and waving people, true yard sales and not just upscale retail yard sales, small towns where people look out for each other, real friends not just acquaintances, sitting on the front porch waving to people who walk by, too hot in the summer to do that.

Those are just a few reasons why we bought our home in North Eastern Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 5,007,160 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I am from West Virginia - not sure that's as South as you are thinking but I hate the humidity and heat from May to October. I hate canned air conditioning, I love open windows. I can't stand the smog, haze, traffic, road rage, rude, uncaring masses of people clogging up the interstates and roads all day long. I can't stand the high home costs, high taxes, the dreaded User Fee in my state. I needed snow, crisp weather, roadside produce stands, room to breathe, more than 10 feet between houses, breezes, smiling and waving people, true yard sales and not just upscale retail yard sales, small towns where people look out for each other, real friends not just acquaintances, sitting on the front porch waving to people who walk by, too hot in the summer to do that.

Those are just a few reasons why we bought our home in North Eastern Maine.
yeah... I'll second that! I am not FROM the south but lived in TX and NC for over 10 yrs. My other half is a Virginian who had been living in NC for even longer... he is the only one of us who misses anything... Luzianne family size tea bags... he hasn't found anything here that will brew a decent sweet tea! (and thanks to your question, I just found where he can order a case of packages online for $50 plus shipping!) He is finding himself colder in the winter than he expected (remembering when he went to school in NH as a older teen) but then he has lots of serious health issues that affect his circulation too, and he was getting cold in NC too.

He said recently that being in a place where you "have to get ready for winter" because you really have to do it, is a change for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,054 posts, read 11,128,548 times
Reputation: 1853
No iced tea? No family sized bags? Should I pack a big box of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 5,007,160 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
No iced tea? No family sized bags? Should I pack a big box of them?
Well you can get a glass of iced tea in a restaurant but I believe it's a summer time thing up here... some places even do have "sweet tea" but it is not common.

I have yet to see a family size bag ... maybe in Liptons, I don't really recall, because K does not consider it to make good sweet tea.

We have been trying different brands, putting 10-12 bags in the gallon of water, and he says none has been up to snuff as per Luzianne... so I sent him the link and I guess he is going to order some eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,131 posts, read 10,948,945 times
Reputation: 7396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
No iced tea? No family sized bags? Should I pack a big box of them?
Better bring it with you. I didn't find the big tea bags at the IGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,054 posts, read 11,128,548 times
Reputation: 1853
We prefer Luzianne. We like some water with our tea! Hmmm. Do they sell loose tea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 5,007,160 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We prefer Luzianne. We like some water with our tea! Hmmm. Do they sell loose tea?
nothing worth making "house wine of the south" outa, in K's opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Sullivan, Maine
96 posts, read 177,846 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We prefer Luzianne. We like some water with our tea! Hmmm. Do they sell loose tea?
I love Luzianne tea also...that is one thing I do miss about being out West. We have yet to find any family sized teabags. Let alone Luzianne.
We're big iced tea drinkers, and always have a big pitcher in the fridge. Drink that stuff like water! Decaf, though...can't be gettin' too excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top