Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times

Advertisements

Lately its been a drive to see the year in at my sisters. They usually have 8-12 couples over from the neighborhood. Plenty to eat drink and plenty of good conversation with mostly interesting people. More often than not over the last 30+ years it's a good movie, DW, and an early night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 02:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Out of curiosity, how many people are going to go to the eastern most point in the United States to see if those dudes from the Subaru commercial are going to show up? I mean, they claim to do it every year.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
New years is a good day to play with blowing up tree stumps or beaver dams.

Or drink lots of rum, whichever is more appealing.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM

323 posts, read 993,025 times
We are staying in as my girlfriend told me the other night going out on New Years Eve is for amateurs, staying home is for professionals. We will be drinking some spirits and hanging out with friends...that stay the night. My menu growing up was exactly the same as Elcarim and I couldn't imagine a New Years Eve without black eyed peas...brings you good luck you know I to am Irish and my mom's family is all from Texas. Stay safe out there and cheers to a wonderful new year.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
For New Year's Eve we're usually here... the kids will have their friends over, but generally we don't stray far from home. On New Year's Day we get together with some friends and head over to St Andrews--The Algonquin has an outstanding brunch, and then we go bowling after This year though, there are some other things going on, and we might not make it There is an especially dear man that goes every year (although I'm sure not everyone refers to him that way--his job is not easy) that I have known forever, and is related to my best friend from high school. I don't see him much unless I happen to see him when I'm in Eastport, so it's a treat to be able to spend time with him. I hope we make it....

Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times
working here again but get home just before midnight..... give the wife a peck on the cheek and poof its over

Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 AM

346 posts, read 786,303 times
As a kid we'd bang pots and pans outside at the stroke of midnight.

These days it's safer just to stay home and watch the ball drop, then hit the sack.

Amateur night ( New Years, St Pattys day ) are the best days to do absolutely nothing.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
I hope to cozy up with wine or beer starters ,some shrimp, and a bottle of bubbly for toasting to better times. I'll channel surf between Times Square and Whatever(too bad it's not the sardine drop!). If the weather cooperates and I'm still awake I might drag hubby and pup out for a midnight sled run down the road.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
We are staying in as my girlfriend told me the other night going out on New Years Eve is for amateurs, staying home is for professionals. We will be drinking some spirits and hanging out with friends...that stay the night. My menu growing up was exactly the same as Elcarim and I couldn't imagine a New Years Eve without black eyed peas...brings you good luck you know I to am Irish and my mom's family is all from Texas. Stay safe out there and cheers to a wonderful new year.
Funny, we always do the ham and black-eyed peas for New Year's Day! Mom and Dad were from TX and frankly my Dh will try anything these days that might promise better luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:03 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Default The Viking Send off on New Years Eve

My sister and her BF are having a Viking Send Off New Years Eve party. Sounds like a blast. It's where everyone gathers and brings a token of something you'd like to get rid of from this last year. Whether it was a bad relationship, memorabilia from a past love, your 401k statement, a voodoo doll that looks just like your broker or some other token of last years bad luck. It goes in a back room until just before midnight. Guests also bring their Christmas trees along to the party as well. From there the trees go into a wooden boat.... they've already constructed a replica of a viking ship out of card board, they will place this into an old wooden rowboat. The Xmas trees are loaded into the boat first when guests arrive, then everyone brings out and tosses their tokens of last years bad luck into the boat. At midnight it is sent out to sea where it then set ablaze.
One of their friends is a pyro-technics guy, he will have it rigged where it will burst into flames once it is safe enough to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine