Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

It says it's a fixer upper, but the photos don't look that bad.............. other than horrendous taste in paint colors. Of course it needs updating, but compared to other homes in that price range it looks decent. Anyone know anything about it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Oh - or 5 Orange Street? It doesn't look quite as nice, but still not bad for the price. There's 3 more homes on RDC since the last time I looked. It's been awhile. I'd kind of given up thanks to the tortoises. But maybe if we find something small and inexpensive we could at least visit for a week at a time or so. The torts can take care of themselves down here if someone could just check in on them a few times a week. It's somethign................

Anyway, any info on either of the houses?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 PM

96 posts, read 201,398 times
Hey there Mrs! I am kinda familiar with both houses - knew the folks that lived in them about 10, 15 years ago when I was growing up in Eastport. The house on Hawkes Ave was in awful condition back then, and looks worse according to the pix on the site - some of the walls were rotting and just falling apart, the floors were rotting too in rooms. I think it would require a hefty investment. It's also a dark house, the windows aren't big and don't let in enough light. Overall a seedy place but if you are willing to invest and take the time to repair and rebuild, it could be nice.
The house on Orange St has been in a state of disrepair for 10 or 15 years - the photos make it look nice, but in reality it's a mess - tiny, lopsided, in need of demolishing. I wouldn't recommend either house - both would be a black hole where your money disappears and you'd just end up moving to another house!
It's tough, as I'm looking at the realtor.com site - house prices have exploded in the past few years...to me, all of them seem way overpriced!
Have you considered the property at 31 Shackford St? That's a great little house, in good shape and definitely a good investment at the price. Tough to beat for the price in the area, close to downtown and Key St., nice area.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 AM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Hey Mrs.

Have you check small cottages on Campobello Island? I found one at 21 Cooks Point Rd Wilson's Beach for only $49,900 CDN . Depending on the day you did the currency conversion you may get it for a fairly good price. The houses seem to be less expensive and you could still see the seagulls AND Eastport

Last edited by ILUVMAINE; 12-28-2008 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 12-28-2008, 04:33 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
Hey Mrs.

Have you check small cottages on Campobello Island? I found one at 21 Cooks Point Rd Wilson's Beach for only $49,900 CDN . Depending on the day you did the currency conversion you may get it for a fairly good price. The houses seem to be less expensive and you could still see the seagulls AND Eastport
The only thing bad about that is you can't get to Eastport most of the year(no ferry labor through memorial day). Of course, unless you have your own boat.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 AM

461 posts, read 796,954 times
Why can't u drive there? We always do. It is a little bit of a drive, unless the fog outside seeped into my brain, I know we've never taken a ferry there...

Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Why can't u drive there? We always do. It is a little bit of a drive, unless the fog outside seeped into my brain, I know we've never taken a ferry there...
Sorry, chalk it up to it being early and working on my first cup of coffee. I think the ferry would be faster, but I enjoy downtown Eastport so much that I'd have to get a boat if I lived across the watah.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
It's going to be an hour or more drive from Campobello. The ferry might be a bit longer. It goes from Campobello to Deer Island then wait for the other ferry to Eastport. Haven't seen Hawkes Ave house. Orange St the folks bought on a whim I think at $25K. Now they bought in Alaska and thinking of a profit on that one. It is definately more than a bubble off plumb. You have to walk up hill to get to any room. Downeast TLC candidate from way back.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
The only thing bad about that is you can't get to Eastport most of the year(no ferry labor through memorial day). Of course, unless you have your own boat.
I agree.... the saying "can't get there from here" without a boat applies here! tinbender it is about an hour, and that hour includes customs. On a map and in person it looks so close, but it's such an inconvenience if you'd really like to be in Eastport!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
It's amazing what people want for their houses. Looking on the web I see a lot of overpriced palces. But while we're helping you spend your money, Mrs., have you looked at 112 Water or Shackford St?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine