Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM

96 posts, read 201,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
At least they're not breaking in the back of the Baywatch stealing beer anymore. 'Course it helps that the Baywatch is an artsy gift shop now and not a resterant anymore.
LOL, I remember when kids were breaking into the Baywatch. Heck, I went to school with them. I was never among the guilty of course. Though I did my share of loitering around Overlook Park and the old pool hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
IMO, kids will be kids. In any town, village or big city, kids do stuff out of boredom, lack of direction, peer pressure or just to make a mark in life. While it isn't pretty, it happens and in the big scheme of things... it could be a hell of a lot worse.
True.. just thought their parents would keep better tabs.. or that in such a small town, their neighbors would rat them out and their parents take it from there.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
True.. just thought their parents would keep better tabs.. or that in such a small town, their neighbors would rat them out and their parents take it from there.
That used to be true when I was growing up (40yrs ago). I couldn't do anything that when I got home my folks knew about it. I joke and say my parents found out I'd done something wrong 5 minutes before I did it. Everyone watched the kids and kept them out of trouble. Either mischief or accidents.

Nowadays, parents will get in your face if you mention their "angel" did something. DW teaches at school and has been told by more than a few that "I send my kid to school for you to take care of. Don't tell me stuff, take care of him." Most parents don't want to know and they want none of the responsibility. Or maybe it's just a few that don't care and they overshadow the good majority.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
That used to be true when I was growing up (40yrs ago). I couldn't do anything that when I got home my folks knew about it. I joke and say my parents found out I'd done something wrong 5 minutes before I did it. Everyone watched the kids and kept them out of trouble. Either mischief or accidents.

Nowadays, parents will get in your face if you mention their "angel" did something. DW teaches at school and has been told by more than a few that "I send my kid to school for you to take care of. Don't tell me stuff, take care of him." Most parents don't want to know and they want none of the responsibility. Or maybe it's just a few that don't care and they overshadow the good majority.
I find that attitude is now one all over the country, sadly enough. Many (not all) gave up parenting when families had to become a two income situation. Parents are now too tired to parent. Also sadly enough, some have the attitude of "I pay my taxes, I pay your salary, you do it" toward school teachers. Pathetic, but true all over the country.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 AM

Yes, it's not just a regional issue. It's a country wide apathy, unfortunately.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

129 posts, read 246,684 times
It's important to remember that those parents are our contemporaries or our children and did not get dropped here from Mars. I am in awe at how detached people can be from the well being and progress of their children, and I am also in awe at some of the people who have jobs as "teachers". Growing up, some of my teachers were very, very powerful influences on me, and I think of them still. They didn't coddle me at all; they were great educators and they made me want to learn. I see a lot more teachers these days, in North Carolina and Maine, who are picking up a paycheck and haven't got a single clue as to how to reach or motivate kids. My kids spend 6 1/2 waking hours each day, 5 days a week, 9 months out of the year, In school. A lot of what the younger ones do is filling out workbook pages, and that prepares them to take tests. If they do good enough on the tests the school gets more money to buy more workbooks. I know that's a sarcastic simplification of the situation, but there is something wrong with the education system in this country.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
ok.....

about those street views!!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ok.....

about those street views!!
Yay, Molly.. for getting us back On topic.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:

You are so right.... and.... I loved what you said about, "My parents knew 5 minutes before it happened." ESP~we would recall saying... " They know they just know.
(*whatcha' doing? Shaky voice "Nothing,"
You Sure?? gulp... caught... CONFESSS... it will be less painful
Back then, your neighbor would take the roll of mom or dad for your folks.

Then, mom or dad ( mostly dad then) would give a lecture oh how the neighbor doesn't need this behavior to deal with and hope I can live with that!!

A friendly handshake across the fence or what have you, would be a form of "payment" for stepping in.

For me, with a tear in my eye.
I WANT to...... but not love to know!!!
I WANT MY "GOOD NEIGHBORS" TO TELL ME MY ANGEL isn't flying "HIgH" enough these days.

We as neighbors have to remember these kids sometimes might not be that great to us, but they still are special to someone else. Break it to them like a death. Easy, caring...

Parents feel guilt enough for the extra work they do and the responsiblities they have on them, so they get upset with the truth.

It also tells THEm, there's not Much I don't know about what goes on.
So... remember send out the "BRAT" (BAT) signal to me. I might cry, but in the long run I might win!!!!

okay BACK ON TOPIC...

.....Feel a foot tapping in the back of me saying, "Ahem" topic
I still can't see anything with Google on my maps. It's almost like waiting for GRASS to GROW.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Yokay BACK ON TOPIC...

.....Feel a foot tapping in the back of me saying, "Ahem" topic
I still can't see anything with Google on my maps. It's almost like waiting for GRASS to GROW.

And I still can't find my eep on Key Street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine