Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times

Advertisements

<I'm not a Maine resident/no family in Maine.>

I'd like to state that 'diversity' does not automatically bring culture, tolerance, balanced lives, advanced social services, enlightened thinking, etc.

I did write more about Washington, DC and Washington County, Maine, but it reminded me that I'm still here and not in Maine yet, and it made me a little sad, so I deleted it...

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
It sounds as though Fledgling fits in to Maine the same way that DH & I have fit in to WI...not at all.

Time to call the moving truck and head back to wherever home may be.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,211 times
Default Looking for Mayberry?

I may have a little North Carolina insider info here If your looking for Mayberry I may be able to help out (never you mind the folks that tell you Mayberry doesn't exist!) This is what you do..........drive north of Charlotte (on 77) and keep driving.......hook a right (on 74) and right around there you'll find the quaint little town of Mt. AiryAndy Griffith's hometown. I here tell they have a great mock up of Mayberry, Floyd's barbershop and all! If your lucky you'll catch Barney on his rounds.....maybe Aunt Bee is fryin' up some chicken.......aahhhhh, nothin's like Mayberry..............

Ya'll have a good time!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Of course when one genuinely dislikes an area, posts like fledgling's are bound to show up here.
Doesn't mean it's flaming, but it's going to rub people the wrong way, especially members from the County.
To broadly paint an area and it's people as bad, isn't nice.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-06-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
<I'm not a Maine resident/no family in Maine.>

I'd like to state that 'diversity' does not automatically bring culture, tolerance, balanced lives, advanced social services, enlightened thinking, etc.
Well said! I was just thinking........we live in one of the MOST diverse areas in the country. What has it brought my children? Hmmmm.....

My kids can't go outside unattended, because someone may grab them over the fence. They can't ride their bikes on the streets, which we have an abundance of - all paved and everything - because traffic is so bad that they're too likely to be hit. We don't go into downtown Houston at night to see plays or the ballet, because we're afraid of being mugged or shot by a drive-by on the freeway while getting there.

The population here is completely multi-racial, so my kids have the good fortune of being introduced to racism quite early in life! They've already learned to refer to kids by their color....you know, that brown girl with short hair or that yellow boy with the red shirt on....and by the time they reach Junior High, they may have become part of a white gang of kids who beat up the Hispanic gang or the African American gang - that is, if they're not being ganged up on at the time. And, of course, they'll already have been pressured to try drugs by that time! By High School, I'll fear for them every time they walk out the door, because rape is at an all time high amongst our teens and happens all too often right on the school grounds.

But I have to admit they'll have LOTS of sports activities and arts programs available to them! That should make them very well rounded, don't you think?

Oh, and they're also very proficient at 7 & 8 on the computer and video games, and they know every character on every cartoon shown on television. Of course they are, because the majority of their lives thus far have been spent indoors.

Are we doing our kids a disservice moving them Maine to learn more about what life SHOULD be about? I really don't think so. This all boils down to personal priorities.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Well said Tammy.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
isn't she good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine