Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times

Advertisements

As to the http://www.maine.gov/pfr/insurance/consumer/indhlth.htm link....................

These numbers are EXACTLY the reason the State of Maine and the government should get their nose right out of insurance regulation.

Again, similar plans are available to citizens of other states at a greatly reduced premium!!!

Read 'em and weep! We are screwed by the state. You are paying through the nose because you live in Maine. We had a thriving insurance business sector here, prior to the Legislature running an entire industry out of state.

My wife lives to this day with two chronic illnesses that can be interpreted as terminal. She never had a problem getting insured prior to the health insurance scandal perpetrated by the state.

Last edited by dmyankee; 01-06-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM

162 posts, read 400,277 times
Default Respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
As to the Consumer Guide To Individual Health Insurance : Brochures : Bureau of Insurance link....................

These numbers are EXACTLY the reason the State of Maine and the government should get their nose right out of insurance regulation.

Again, similar plans are available to citizens of other states at a greatly reduced premium!!!

Read 'em and weep! We are screwed by the state. You are paying through the nose because you live in Maine. We had a thriving insurance business sector here, prior to the Legislature running an entire industry out of state.

My wife lives to this day with two chronic illnesses that can be interpreted as terminal. She never had a problem getting insured prior to the health insurance scandal perpetrated by the state.
Similar plans are available to citizens of other states at a greatly reduced premium? Do you truly mean guaranteed issue policies? And are the prices greatly reduced from these rates regardless of health conditions? That has not been my experience in the couple of other states I lived in, nor has it been the case with friends who live in other states. If you're in a guaranteed-issue state with community ratings, then that is an apples-to-apples comparison with Maine and the differences then should simply be based on the relative size, ages and health of the entire state population. To compare rates in other states to Maine's if those states are not guaranteed-issue states with community ratings is an apples-to-oranges comparison and means that what you're really saying is that you don't agree that everyone should be able to be covered without underwriting. If that is your opinion, fine, but I don't personally think much of a system that effectively denies coverage to people who need it.

I can't comment on your experience with your wife's prior coverage, since I don't know anything about it. All I can talk about is my experience and that of others I know.

I am not here to fight with anyone, so I could live without you "shouting" with your boldface and italics. I think we all would like the same result: medical coverage for everyone at somewhat reasonable cost. And even to the extent we may disagree about the current Maine law, I'd like to think we can do it civilly.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I just found out thast COBRA will cost over $300.00 monthly for one of us. I don't think we can afford it under the circumstances. I don't believe there is an opion for deductibles either.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

162 posts, read 400,277 times
Default Cobra

COBRA is legally not supposed to differ in any significant way from the coverage you had previously, so you are correct that there is no option to pay less monthly by choosing a higher deductible.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Boy, this one sure seems to be raising some hackles.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Boy, this one sure seems to be raising some hackles.
I can't let it raise my hackles...I can't afford to get sick!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Moderator's Note:

For this particular thread, how about we stick to dealing with the Original Poster's concerns.

A more general, civil, debate on the state of health insurance in Maine is topic for a seperate thread.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 AM

33 posts, read 87,407 times
If you need individual Health insurance...there are only 2 companies that will underwrite you in state of Maine. Very limited. You can do like the rest of us and buy indemnity insurance which is much more affordable. I'm a broker if you need quotes or have ?'s feel free to PM me.

They have to underwrite you in Maine w/ a pre-existing condition w/ major medical plans..however...they do put a pre-existing condition clause in the contract which typically states that for the first year they only cover conditions which where not pre-existing. After the year passes...you're all covered.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM

You are correct ! Rates in Maine are rediculous.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Try to keep it if you need it as that rate is actually low for one person in Maine if it's major medical. The rates for new one a decent plan are $589+-. The one you have is only $75 a week or less when there are 5 weeks in a month. Seems high and is high but not in comparison
to ending it and trying to get a lower rate by switching. Otherwise...go indemnity only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine