Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,206 times

Advertisements

I’m somewhat new to this board (first post but have been lurking for months). I’ve read so many helpful hints and suggestions about moving to Maine. Thank you everyone.

My parents used to take us up to their cottage in Boothbay for the summer and ever since they sold the house I’ve been dying to move back to coastal Maine permanently. I was thinking about going back to school in the fall for boat maintenance and restoration. I love being on the water and could easily spend a day on the docks no matter the weather. I'm honest, have a strong work ethic, and am extremely eager to learn.

From what I’m gathering by reading previous posts (and please correct me if I’m wrong) I need to have a job set up before I move up there. Does anyone know what my best bet to go about doing this? I've looked on numerous career builder sites and no one lists marine maintenance jobs (from what I can see). Should I be looking at schools that offer a degree program or is just having a certificate enough? Do I even need those or are most places up there willing to train you on the job? (I understand that education is key to landing a good job but there is no point in over qualifying myself and wasting time/money)

Thank you all in advance for your help … Hope everyone has a great New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainely dreamin View Post
I’m somewhat new to this board (first post but have been lurking for months). I’ve read so many helpful hints and suggestions about moving to Maine. Thank you everyone.

My parents used to take us up to their cottage in Boothbay for the summer and ever since they sold the house I’ve been dying to move back to coastal Maine permanently. I was thinking about going back to school in the fall for boat maintenance and restoration. I love being on the water and could easily spend a day on the docks no matter the weather. I'm honest, have a strong work ethic, and am extremely eager to learn.

From what I’m gathering by reading previous posts (and please correct me if I’m wrong) I need to have a job set up before I move up there. Does anyone know what my best bet to go about doing this? I've looked on numerous career builder sites and no one lists marine maintenance jobs (from what I can see). Should I be looking at schools that offer a degree program or is just having a certificate enough? Do I even need those or are most places up there willing to train you on the job? (I understand that education is key to landing a good job but there is no point in over qualifying myself and wasting time/money)

try going to the wbsite "downtownme.com" and then do a search for boat building,
you can call the boatyards, get a pulse for what you are looking for

Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:

It used to be... last year, Aperson could get hired with no experience to work in a boat yard. You would not make the big bucks this way, but for just starting out, it sort of was an apprenticeship.

Right now almost no one is hiring and most are laying experienced people off. The market for boats, repairs and new is waaaay off.

There are some boat schools out there that will give you a rudimentary ability to repair boats. Two come to mind right off... The boat School in Eastport and the Landing school somewhere in southern Maine. I've worked around people from each and it all depends on the person as to how good they are.
Don't come out of these schools rthinking that you now know everything about boats.

If you really want to do the boat thing, school would be a good option right now if you can afford it. It does help for the new person.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Folks, when AustinB speaks of boat building in Maine, it's like EF Hutton.... everyone listens! (or should)

These people build some pretty nice boats, they have an employment tab on their website. Agreed, their probably not hiring right now. However, it doesn't hurt to look.

Hodgdon Yachts, cold molded luxury yachts, Scheherazade, Antonisa, Yorel

Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Folks, when AustinB speaks of boat building in Maine, it's like EF Hutton.... everyone listens! (or should)

These people build some pretty nice boats, they have an employment tab on their website. Agreed, their probably not hiring right now. However, it doesn't hurt to look.

Hodgdon Yachts, cold molded luxury yachts, Scheherazade, Antonisa, Yorel

Thankyou for your vote of confidence, but there are far better than I out there.

I was just talking with the cfo of hodgdon the other day. Hiring didn't get mentioned, but they are getting by.Their Richmond plant builds interiors for other yards and may be busier than the main yard.

Union River boats in Bucksport may be doing some hiring in a while. They had an upbeat piece in the paper a week or two ago.

By the way... Allisons father was a far better boat builder than I will ever be. He could build them, I just get them painted.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
[quote=AustinB;6871099

By the way... Allisons father was a far better boat builder than I will ever be. He could build them, I just get them painted.[/QUOTE]

Aw gee thanks Austin. My Daddy was a perfectionist in everything he did. He loved working with wood and took great pride in his work. Unfortunately, my brother and I did not inherit any of his talent.
My cousin, Jerry, is also a master at what he does...another perfectionist in our family.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Aw gee thanks Austin. My Daddy was a perfectionist in everything he did. He loved working with wood and took great pride in his work. Unfortunately, my brother and I did not inherit any of his talent.
My cousin, Jerry, is also a master at what he does...another perfectionist in our family.
I've heard tell of his talents. He was so respected for his work. Such pride is in work quality is truly magnificent. As is your pride in your Dad and uncle.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,206 times
thank you guys. like always, a huge help. i'm looking at schools right now and hoping that by the time i'm out (1-2 yrs) the economy will have started to turn around (wishful thinking i know). but i do have one more quick question (mostly directed to austin b. but anyone with help is encouraged to spill it).

would it be better to look at schools in state or does that not matter? is an employer more likely to hire me if i went to school somewhere close by or a more regionally known school. (i was looking at new england tech or the international yacht restoration school in RI). i'm also planning on making a trip up to the boat building school in eastport. are there any others that i should look at while i'm in the new england area?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
thank you guys. like always, a huge help. i'm looking at schools right now and hoping that by the time i'm out (1-2 yrs) the economy will have started to turn around (wishful thinking i know). but i do have one more quick question (mostly directed to austin b. but anyone with help is encouraged to spill it).

would it be better to look at schools in state or does that not matter? is an employer more likely to hire me if i went to school somewhere close by or a more regionally known school. (i was looking at new england tech or the international yacht restoration school in RI). i'm also planning on making a trip up to the boat building school in eastport. are there any others that i should look at while i'm in the new england area?

The most important thing for getting a job is to have some talent. Doesn't really matter what school you go to. I've seen some come out of those schools that think they are Gods gift to the yachting world. (reality sometimes kicks them in the teeth) Others just learned from other master craftsmen.
I've never met anyone that has gone to IYRS. My boss is one of the trustees(?) there. I've visited there and to be honest, rebuilding a beetlecat isn't alot of help when it comes to a real yacht. There are alot of boat schools around. The Landing school is a big one that offers alot of variety. The Eastport school is rebuilding to what it once was. Both have had some very nice grads. They've also had some blahs. It's the person and how you approach it.

Don't be afraid to learn ALL aspects of boat construction. A well rounded employee is always much better than a prima donna.

If you are passing through mid-maine, stop by all the boat yards and take a look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine