Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

473 posts, read 714,713 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking maybe its a less of a panic thing and more of a subconcious social gathering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
I have to run to the store later--we've had a change of supper plans.... but the snow won't keep me from doing that--if anything it makes it more fun! and fun and grocery shopping very rarely is EVER said in the same sentence....

Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
i'm thinking maybe its a less of a panic thing and more of a subconcious social gathering.
That's EXACTLY what it is! 48 winters in Maine I was never snowed in enough to not be able to make it out of the driveway if I needed to.
We did it because the media prompted us to. A sense of impending doom, "oh no, we could be stuck in here for days!" Never happened.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
Our snow has at last given up 60 plus inches in the last month, lots of roofs caving in and today it is almost 40* out and rain, now flood warnings, the national gaurd has been called by the gov. to help dig out, the kids have been sleding off the roofs because the snow has no where elese to go. I have been shoveling roofs the last 2 weeks, the neighbor lost his shop, I stll have my out buildings, I have 10 so when I finish the 10th its beack to 1, But with the pineapple express here 40* thursday too, and clear for the next week no rain or snow, sunshine on the way, Hope the weather headed Maines way is not too bad. Hang in there guys!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Oh, I understand the socializing thing! On our last day there, a big snow storm was moving in by mid-day. We had stopped at Hannafords to buy some coffee & snacks before heading back south, and I toured the aisles checking everything out. I noticed all these people standing around in the aisles, chatting & drinking coffee. It was near bizarre to me! I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. Everyone was moving in slow motion like a movie. People actually talking to one another in the grocery store? Wow! It left a lasting impression of what we have to look forward to living in Maine.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Our snow has at last given up 60 plus inches in the last month, lots of roofs caving in and today it is almost 40* out and rain, now flood warnings, the national gaurd has been called by the gov. to help dig out, the kids have been sleding off the roofs because the snow has no where elese to go. I have been shoveling roofs the last 2 weeks, the neighbor lost his shop, I stll have my out buildings, I have 10 so when I finish the 10th its beack to 1, But with the pineapple express here 40* thursday too, and clear for the next week no rain or snow, sunshine on the way, Hope the weather headed Maines way is not too bad. Hang in there guys!
Here in Corinth we had an average of maybe 6" on the ground -- but with the blowing and drifting we had, then the melt, there was bare ground in places and a foot or so of crusty stuff in other places. Started snowing again today and we have, maybe, a couple of inches as of nightfall.

Sounds like your winter is what I moved into, here in ME last year.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Here in Corinth we had an average of maybe 6" on the ground -- but with the blowing and drifting we had, then the melt, there was bare ground in places and a foot or so of crusty stuff in other places. Started snowing again today and we have, maybe, a couple of inches as of nightfall.

Sounds like your winter is what I moved into, here in ME last year.
Yes it does, I love it though, snow still makes me smile like a child watching the news( and that only happens when it snows in my house) to see if their school is on trhe closed list. Even though I know my back is going to be sore for the next day or two due to all the plowing, blowing and shoveling. It will only last a few months. So enjoy it when you can.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
My DW and I used to find this funny. During our time in NJ people would be out in hords at the grocery store even if there was an inch of snow forcast.
Not only to they do this in Ohio, but there will usually be a TV news film crew at some grocery store filming the panicing masses.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:52 PM

162 posts, read 400,277 times
Didn't need anything, so I got to stay home, build a nice fire and read a good book. My cousin moved from MA to NC and she told me how whenever any kind of winter weather is predicted the stores are crammed with people snatching all the milk, bread and eggs off the shelves. She now calls them "french toast disasters."

Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine