Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times

Advertisements

"We live simply, love deeply and take the time to notice our surroundings."

Mama, this just about sums up "MY" Maine! Moving to Maine is most definitely a lifestyle choice. We've done TONS of research, and we have found that we'll make slightly less than we do in Texas. Our expenses in our chosen area are showing to be nearly equal overall, some costs lower - some higher, so obviously, that puts us at a net loss after the move.

But we're not moving to Maine to amass wealth. We're not moving for career advancement. We're moving for a quality of life enhancement!

KNOW why you've chosen Maine, and make sure that Maine can support your particular set of needs and desires.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 49,067 times
Thank you guys for all the information. They are things that we need to consider for sure. My husband lived in Maine for a few years so he is familiar with the area and has been a great source of info. I am an Occupational Therapist and when we move it will be with a job waiting, already talking to employers for the area and our tax return will be handy as well. We know that Maine is much smaller than El Paso, but that is what we want. We want to build a strong family in a close knit community. We are not into the city scene. We look forward to plugging in to our community and surroundings and our family. We both grew up in a colder climate so that is not really a problem for us. In fact the colder it is the happier my husband is. I have been researching the area on this site of course and on the Bangor Daily News site as well. Any other sites to search would be helpful. Again thank you for all the advice. Other people will always remember the things that you don't think of.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I'm going to repeat myself, so sorry if I sound like a broken record. Moving to Maine, in particular northern and parts of western Maine, from more populus parts of the country, is a lifestyle choice. The economy is a mess all over the world it seems and Maine has not escaped it. There's an article in today's Bangor news about sherrif's being stretched thin delivering foreclosure notices.
For me, The lifestyle here is wonderful. I'll never be wealthy but I know my neighbors. I don't "dress up" but I can run to the store in my jammies if I had to. THE store closes early, though I'm pretty well set' if I had to I could run in for milk two minutes to closing time in jammies and I wouldn't be the only one. People in town know us and if they haven't seen or heard from us you can bet that someone would be checking on.
If you want to LIVE in your home. People respect your privacy and expect the same. We live simply, love deeply and take the time to notice our surroundings.
If you want to connect with your family, spend time with them. Shut the tv off and go outside together to shovel snow, have a snowball fight while your outside. Memeories and close bonds are made of this stuff. Put a stew in the crockpot and take time to do something that gives you satisfaction.

Very well put. There is no hectic big city living up here. Not even in Portland really. But...don't come up here with the idea that it's all Jessica Fletcher or Newhart. Where no one has any worries other than the fish ain't biting off the pier or the snowblower snapped another 10 penny nail youo use as a shear pin. It's nice, it's beautiful, and it's laid back but we still have the economy to deal with here too. We just didn't have so far to fall.

Good luck and hope you find a nice place to your liking.

Oh yeah, keep us posted.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen View Post
Thank you guys for all the information. They are things that we need to consider for sure. My husband lived in Maine for a few years so he is familiar with the area and has been a great source of info. I am an Occupational Therapist and when we move it will be with a job waiting, already talking to employers for the area and our tax return will be handy as well. We know that Maine is much smaller than El Paso, but that is what we want. We want to build a strong family in a close knit community. We are not into the city scene. We look forward to plugging in to our community and surroundings and our family. We both grew up in a colder climate so that is not really a problem for us. In fact the colder it is the happier my husband is. I have been researching the area on this site of course and on the Bangor Daily News site as well. Any other sites to search would be helpful. Again thank you for all the advice. Other people will always remember the things that you don't think of.
There should be plenty of work for an OT, I think. If you don't like to travel a lot, try setting yourself up with a major hospital. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
... Maine seems to fit the bill. We will be building in May hopefully and although there may be somethings I haven't taken into account, we did do some serious discussion and looking around before making the decision to make Maine the final resting place.
We bought bare land and are building. It can be a lot of fun

Quote:
... Yes, Maine is considered a depressed state in a lot of the areas because of low employment. Yes, the cost of living for some items may be higher, like heating was mentioned. Yes, the tax rate is higher than a lot of other places.
And with each of these also exists a "may not".

I am new to Maine.

However our experience so far has been that: "Maine is a depressed state" which causes the cost of living to be lower here.

Heating 'can' be more expensive, or it can be cheaper.

The taxes 'can' be far lower than other places. At least the taxes here are far lower than other places where we have lived.

You results may vary.

Quote:
... My only suggestion would be, to do some real intense research before deciding to move. Especially if you are not familiar with a specific state you are considering. After would be the time to narrow down the search as to where in the state you might desire to reside.
I agree.

I hate to swim against the stream so much.

But I hear so many saying one common thing, and yet our experience has been the opposite.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We bought bare land and are building. It can be a lot of fun

And with each of these also exists a "may not".

I am new to Maine.

However our experience so far has been that: "Maine is a depressed state" which causes the cost of living to be lower here.

Heating 'can' be more expensive, or it can be cheaper.

The taxes 'can' be far lower than other places. At least the taxes here are far lower than other places where we have lived.

You results may vary.

I agree.

I hate to swim against the stream so much.

But I hear so many saying one common thing, and yet our experience has been the opposite.

You are neglecting to mention that you have a retirement income to fall against. It may make a difference for some one without that.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
As one of the pilgrims venturing to a new life in Maine very soon, I suppose I should weigh in on this. (Besides, we all know I can't keep my big mouth shut.) Anyway, I've moved around a lot, and I've found that most of the time, as El says, some things are more expensive and some are less. It's been my experience that they seem to balance out and what you pay more for in one area, you will make up for on less expensive things.
As for the lifestyle in Maine, especially in Calais, the more I hear the more I like. Small enough to run into your friends on the street, big enough so that you don't have to drive to a big city to get what you need, people that are a lot friendlier and more helpful than in some towns I could mention--or maybe they just didn't like feds.
Who knows? Who cares? The real question here is why are so many of us who are relocating to Maine from Texas? Me, El, rajen. Should we start a band?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I sing and play the piano & sax. Welcome to Maine, Y'all!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Casper1212, thing only thing I am going to miss about Texas is the Mexican food.lol

Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Elcarim, my husband plays guitar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine