U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 AM

67 posts, read 141,968 times
well many people have diff opinons about "poor" and it has a different meaning to many people. I consider myself poor. Yes i admit it, and now i will tell you why.

During freshman high school ('02 perhaps?), i almost had my savings up for a new truck (my first truck) and i had my learner's permit for a while. During the sophmore year, i finally had my license and i was in the market for a new pick up. For sure i really wanted a 05 silverado, but i had to be realistic... so i bought myself a 95 ford ranger. Today, i still have my ranger and i'm still living with my roommates. We are living in a house that's owned by the bank and we havnt gotten kicked out just yet. Our fridge isnt full, our cabinets have rats, our water pipes has broke on us (frozed) and we ran out of kerosene for our space heaters... all of the 4 roommates are jobless including me. We only have 1 vechile to travel or what not....

it's all cold here, no $, no food and i only have 3/4 full of gas in my truck. I'm not a drug user of any sort and the reason why i've been living in this house because i have no where else to go. i've been to dhhs and voc rehab several times. Also what's really messed up here is that i cant even do ANYTHING. for instance, i cant join the military since they said i'm disabled (hard of hearing), so i said to myself "okay, i'll just go over to the social security office and get the ssi/ssdi" so i applied 3 times.... yet still denied, they said "sorry, you're not disabled".

sorry, this is a touchy subject and many people dont understand how it's like being poor because the middle/upper classmens dont even understand one bit. Oh i'd love to have some spending money.... but nooo today society/world are so messed up.

PS: i know a family of 4 who are surviving in a tiny trailer on a small land, perhaps 1-2 acre? The mother works at wally world and the father works at mcdonald. It keeps me wondering at times....

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-09-2009 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: language
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM

107 posts, read 307,869 times
I believe that when you covet that which is beyond your means, you'll be poor no matter how much you make.

I think many people who view themselves as poor are people who just want a lot of stuff. More stuff than they can currently afford, to be specific. A lot of people want a new car, a big screen TV, an iPhone, a boat, a new set of clubs and $ to pay greens fees twice a week etc etc. If they can't have that, they pity themselves as poor - ESPECIALLY if the neighbor has them. Case in point - my brother-in-law makes $75k a year and he is constantly complaining about being "poor." Seriously. He covets a lot of big ticket items and a lifestyle that demands he make $85K. Its possible that he'll always be "poor" no matter how much he makes.

I know there are many people who are poor and have trouble providing the most basic necessities much less what they want. I don't mean to sound insensitive to them, I'm certainly not. My definition of poor above is just a generalization about those of us who "can't always get what you want, but you get what you need."

And this doesn't mean that you shouldn't have goals and desires either. I would like a new laptop but I can't afford it right now. Its tempting to give in and pity myself as too poor to buy the laptop, but thats a very defeatist attitude. So the wife and I put a little aside each month and maybe next fall we'll be there. Coveting something demands instant gratification. Dreams and desires can be satisfied with planning and progress. Sorry, I'm starting to ramble....

PS> Forest and Peachie - What does "tip" mean?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 PM

21,661 posts, read 27,608,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
PS> Forest and Peachie - What does "tip" mean?
To go through a forest and collect the 'tips' of branches from evergreen trees. Those 'tips' are used for weaving into wreaths or swags. And sold.

Or in the case of some spruce trees tips can be used as a bittering agent for home made beers [actually if you don't use hops as a bittering then it is called gruit].

Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,923,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Wow! Thanks for this Corgis.........NC is #12!
Yep, note Texas' lofty position on that list. So, according to the professionals, Maine is only HALF poor!

Also, living here, we have always had more money than we needed. We can go eat Sushi any time we choose. I buy new clothes and WAY too many shoes. Brad is all into buying the latest, greatest electronics as we wish. We don't have "lack" as many would describe it. And, living here, we're absolutely miserable with our lifestyle situation.

When we arrive in Maine in 7 weeks, we'll have found our own personal pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We'll gladly sacrifice monetary gains for the peace of mind.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM

107 posts, read 307,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
To go through a forest and collect the 'tips' of branches from evergreen trees. Those 'tips' are used for weaving into wreaths or swags. And sold.

Or in the case of some spruce trees tips can be used as a bittering agent for home made beers [actually if you don't use hops as a bittering then it is called gruit].

Thanks - couldn't figure that one out.

BTW - don't go to urbandictionary to try to decipher rural slang. !!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM

467 posts, read 696,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Ahhh.... and the other subjective term we see here so frequently has come up yet again... "hard life".... yet another observation that may not be valid.
Okay then, to anyone in Maine that ever visited a food pantry or applied for heat assistance...we don't quite know how to let you know this, but, well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yes, this is a very subjective term...."hard life".
what you've been experiencing is not technically known as a "hard life." It's very subjective you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've lived here most of my life and never thought of it as hard. Mainers are hardy stock.
So, we're closing up shop now. It's been decided that you really don't need us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I looked up the poverty line in Maine and in WV
In Maine the poverty line is $17,601 for a family of 4 - 11th highest in the nation.

In West Virginia the poverty line is $10,712 - 3rd highest in the nation

Therefore for a family of 4 - there are 10 states poorer than Maine.
See, here's the proof right here . . . there are 10 states poorer than Maine.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM

2,917 posts, read 3,099,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
Okay then, to anyone in Maine that ever visited a food pantry or applied for heat assistance...we don't quite know how to let you know this, but, well ...

what you've been experiencing is not technically known as a "hard life." It's very subjective you know.

So, we're closing up shop now. It's been decided that you really don't need us.

See, here's the proof right here . . . there are 10 states poorer than Maine.
The original question was "Does anyone here honestly consider themselves poor?" not "are you poor". Uncharacteristically, (add sarcasm) the theme kinda skewed off a bit. And what is meant by "closing up shop now"?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM

44 posts, read 84,944 times
I am getting alittle nervous. wondering if we will make it. Dh job is getting ready to lay off about 100 people by the end of the month. I pray that he will not be one of them. Things are getting tight for us. BUT. I do have a loving family, I am very lucky. so in some ways yes...in others no

Last edited by lowellmaine; 01-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM

440 posts, read 1,039,091 times
I think Mississippi is the poorest state. In Maine it isn't having designer clothes and cadillacs it is the beauty of the state and the kindness of it's people.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM

287 posts, read 397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Interesting topic and a good one.

I'd like to play devil's advocate for a minute if I can. Many people don't see paying more to live in an urban area as sacrificing freedom or quality of life. In fact, many people CHOOSE to do so. I for one, enjoyed living in an urban area when I did and can't wait to do so again, even though it'll cost me a LOT more to do so than it would cost in Maine.

It's a matter of choice... what you consider, "freedoms" many (but probably not many of those who live in Maine-or want to- and post in this forum), including myself, consider boring or uninteresting. My family has a vacation home in Bethel near Sunday River... they strategically bought the 45 acre property so it's abutting logging property and in the back, protected land. We can quite literally, shoot rifles form the back porch (and actually have a clay pigeon launcher as well as targets posted on trees). While I thoroughly enjoy doing those things, I would not consider as something I'd enjoy doing, or even having the opportunity to do, on a daily basis. Once or twice a year is fine.

Instead, I enjoy living in an urban area. I like being a part of the humanity beehive. I enjoy having a wide variety of nightlife options, restaurants (of all different ethnic flavors), I enjoy seeing people of all different races interacting and thriving on a daily basis. I love the fact that all sorts of cultural opportunities are at your finger tips in the city. I love that the highest reaches of education are right in your back yard in our nation's cities. I prefer mass transit to owning a vehicle (and can't wait to be able to not have a car)... I prefer having all needs within a 300 yard walk. I like immediate access the the best healthcare available.

I have a personal beef with rural and suburban living. I don't think that rural and suburban living are bad for anyone, I just personally don't like them. I hate the idea of a private yard and your own land... it promotes being "cut-off" which is not something I'm a fan of (though, I understand and hold nothing against the people who do enjoy seclusion. Can you tell I don't have kids?!). I'd rather spend a fortune on an 800 sq. foot apartment with no yard because the CITY is your back yard. I love public spaces.. I love the interaction that takes place on them. I love the way successful neighborhoods work. It's fascinating, exciting, and just all out enjoyable for me.

The life I enjoy is not for everyone. I understand this, and I know this is why many (if not most) people come to Maine or STAY in Maine. I do not, however, think that if someone is paying a fortune (and struggling to stay afloat) in an urban area, that THEY are poor or that their quality of life is lacking. It's a matter of choice.

Same goes for the rural living and those, "making wreathes" to earn some extra coin. If they enjoy what they're doing/ how they are living, they're not being attacked by debt collectors, and they can put food on the table for everyone, they're not poor. If you can stay afloat, be it in a rural or urban environment, AND you're happy... you're not poor.

Finances play a HUGE role in "wealth" and poverty is a huge problem in Maine as well as even the wealthiest cities on earth (just ask those who can't pay their heating bill this winter); but for many, it's simply a state of mind.
Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine