U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 28,204 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I are getting married in June, and are looking for some honeymoon ideas in Maine. Bar Habour seems to be a popular spot, but hotels there are wicked expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions of locations close to the coast that might be a little more reasoanble?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM

67 posts, read 195,087 times
perhaps up north near the state parks, to have a good mountain/forest scenery? Up in rangely they've got some nice cabins. I'm not a fond of the coast scenes and i dont really really like it down there to be honest.

I like it up north, to be away from huge populations of people and enjoy the wildlife/nature. Not to mention, it's very nice to have some down time together in the nature.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,018,880 times
There's a set of cabins and a motel in Hulls Cove just before Bar Harbor and Acadi entrance called The Colony. Nice place, quiet, and not expensive. Plus, on certain nights, one of the owners roams the grounds playing bagpipes. They have a website: Colony Home Page (http://www.acadia.net/thecolony/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM

722 posts, read 1,338,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
There's a set of cabins and a motel in Hulls Cove just before Bar Harbor and Acadi entrance called The Colony. Nice place, quiet, and not expensive. Plus, on certain nights, one of the owners roams the grounds playing bagpipes. They have a website: Colony Home Page (http://www.acadia.net/thecolony/index.html - broken link)
Is it a ghost? or a real person? If its a ghost that would be creepy, the fog rolling in and the sound of bagpipes, shadows roaming around the cabin of the newly weds.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM

87 posts, read 211,126 times
Tin Bender, that sounds the BEST.
airlyss, If you could give up the ocean for a waterfront log cabin with the water lapping at your toes, try Birch Point in Island Falls, Maine near Houlton. 207 463-2515
There is a little bowling alley in the basement of the Lodge. There are paddle boats and canoes for rent. Outdoor fireplace in front of your door. Privacy. Nothing going on but you. Nothing. Mobbed by local Maine folks in the summertime, but in June, if you call now, you could go there and have a cabin to yourself and love it. Amish store nearby, but not much else. Take your own steaks. Well, come to think of it,there is one and only one good restaurant in town. I hope it's still there. It is very very good. It's next to the one super-grocery store. Can't remember the name ... .oh truthseeker says the link is www.birchpointcampground.com And lo ...... that is correct. Thanks, t-seeker. Terrible pictures. It is much more idyllic than that, but the contact information is there.

Last edited by Deborah Caldwell; 01-10-2009 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: rec'd info from a fellow forummember and typo

Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM

502 posts, read 798,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Those are great prices, The place looks pretty cool too.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,718,485 times
you got a tent?if so lamoine state park.camp right by the ocean.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Is it a ghost? or a real person? If its a ghost that would be creepy, the fog rolling in and the sound of bagpipes, shadows roaming around the cabin of the newly weds.
Naw, it's a real person. That would be cool. DW would go ape. She loves that sort of thing.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,959,474 times
On the coast in June is just expensive all around. I don't know how much time your looking to spend on your honeymoon in Maine, but I stay a little inland and travel around the coast. That way you get the full effect instead of the full cost of laying your head next to the ocean.
If you come up towards my way you can enjoy crossing into Canada as well.

I'm assuming you don't want to many distractions of lights and noise, a simple and beauiful coastly drive honeymoon sounds simply dreamy.

There's Saint Andrews N.B. (simple and is a cozy village by the sea.)
Similar to Bar Harbor but not as busy ( I think)

If you stay in Calais on your way back, The Grey Stone may be a sweet B & B for you. COntact me if you wanta "sweet romantic dinner". (*I know a little place) lol

In Maine Driving down RT 1 into the small sea towns of Eastport, Lubec, etc is a glimse of the past.
If your looking for hustle and bustle of people and high costs, Bar Harbor is ideal.
If you do decide what you like, let us know.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM

9,775 posts, read 14,944,187 times
"fog rolling in and the sound of bagpipes"

Groaning in the gloaming. Saints preserve us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or