Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,858,476 times

Advertisements

Thanks for reminding me about the fire dept. and the police dept. I don't think that is all that the money is used for though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,138,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
From what I understand, the Guv today signed into law that you can't smoke on a deck outside a restaraunt. I don't know about the beach one though. One more place I can't smoke because some inconsiderate fool upset some folks and the gov't has to step in.
The beach one has also been signed into law. IMHO, it now comes down to legislating basic common courtesy and decency i.e. anyone who smokes shouldn't do so around anyone it bothers. I think you're right - it's the inconsiderate fools that make everyone else pay. IMHO, in addition to any revenue that Nanny law fines bring in, it's the dipsticks that have no clue about behavior that drive these laws. Sighh...

Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM

333 posts, read 869,558 times
Default Goose Liver/Foie Gras

I didn't realize it was a problem, until a state rep told me how busy he was in Augusta Emergency Session.

Last edited by ribbets; 09-08-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,558,010 times
This is the most ridiculous, gawd awful, namby pamby, banana peel smoking, feel good, dead hippy moonbat legislation the idiotic critters in the legislature have come up with yet!

Where I am, these businesses are suffering plenty without the pretense of "for the children." I'm fed up and had it with these Disgustacrats!

Go ahead and defend it. Those who know me on this board know why I'm finally PO'd!

Smoking snuffed in more locations

Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
This is the most ridiculous, gawd awful, namby pamby, banana peel smoking, feel good, dead hippy moonbat legislation the idiotic critters in the legislature have come up with yet!

Where I am, these businesses are suffering plenty without the pretense of "for the children." I'm fed up and had it with these Disgustacrats!

Go ahead and defend it. Those who know me on this board know why I'm finally PO'd!

Smoking snuffed in more locations

Welllllllll have no fear: After they've abolished smoking altogether they'll go after those who are a little "hefty" next. It's already starting now with the calories on the menu requirements, and the ban of trans fats. I'm perfectly capable of being informed about what I ingest; however, apparently I'll have to fall in line with the rest who don't and therefore, cost the state less money.

Sorry, sarcasm is how I cope.

IMHO, it'll be a matter of time before we become "the healthiest state" as determined by the governor and legislature.

Now, please don't get me wrong - it's not that I want everyone to smoke and to be obese - it's the "as determined by the legislature" that I have the problem with.

Last edited by cebdark; 06-20-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbets View Post
I didn't realize it was a problem, until a state rep told me how busy he was in Augusta Emergency Session.

I'm speechless. Quick! Make a note of it - I'm not speechless very often.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee
You really need to stop hold it in so much.

Let it out, tell us what you really think.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,558,010 times
The Maine "buzz words" from the progressive Liberal Stench emanating from Augusta is always "For the Children," or "Maine's Most vulnerable Citizens," or another favorite..."Maine Must Take the Lead!"

A petition is brewing for a People's Veto of the current Legicritter's delusional tax increases.

Do you realize that about the only services not getting taxed are Lawyers and Accountants, Ski Areas and Golf Courses. Sounds like a plan when you have to get your car inspected (repaired) to the tune of several hundred dollars, doesn't it!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:34 PM

608 posts, read 589,673 times
Yep. They'll go after the fatties and the alcohol lovers on the basis of health costs and environmental impact the same way they have for smokers, and with bases that are just as ridiculous.

To see how are it's gone as far as attitude toward smokers, listen to a Brit nurse talking about smokers who won't give it up and need heart operations. Her solution if they won't stop smoking is to withhold the heart operations. At the end of this very short clip she simply says, "Well then. They'll just have to die."

http://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.com/2...ve-to-die.html

As for alcohol, see this report on the Neo-Prohibition Movement being funded by the NicoGummyPatchyProductPeople at RWJF:

http://www.abionline.org/downloads/report_rwjf.pdf

I actually used that report as the basis for the very last Appendix in Brains. I titled it "Beyond Tobacco" and looked at where the Antismokers would be going in the next ten years... and from the looks of some things over in the UK (where they're talking about a mandatory 3 drink limit and other nonsense) they're marching right on schedule.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-21-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 AM

333 posts, read 869,558 times
Did someone say Gov. Bald sounded like Fran Dresser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine