Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

I have an 8,000 pound winch that can mount on either end of my GMC crew cab. I learned early on that you can't push with a winch. I call it my Ford snatcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM

444 posts, read 928,609 times
My little guys were so looking forward to going to the movie "Hotel for Dogs" today, but I didn't want to drive in these conditions. They settled for playing "Lego Indiana Jones" on Playstation. They're not too traumatized.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have an 8,000 pound winch that can mount on either end of my GMC crew cab. I learned early on that you can't push with a winch. I call it my Ford snatcher.
Them's fighten' words!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:45 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
My little guys were so looking forward to going to the movie "Hotel for Dogs" today, but I didn't want to drive in these conditions. They settled for playing "Lego Indiana Jones" on Playstation. They're not too traumatized.
Aww my youngest so0o wants to see that movie!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
We were on our way going to church this afternoon. Pulling out onto the road my front tires were spinning a lot but eventually we got the car moving forward.

I did not have any problem holding the car in our lane, just kept the front tires pulling us along and everything was fine.

When I got near the freeway on-ramp, I took it out of gear to slow down in anticipation of turning onto the on-ramp.

As we rode across the freeway over-pass we looked and it did not appear that the freeway was being plowed, or at least it did not look like it had been plowed recently.

When I did turn and accelerate to go onto the on-ramp, our car simply continued going straight. We slide right past the on-ramp. With my front tires turned toward the on-ramp and spinning, they had no effect at all.

So we decided not to go to church today.

Instead we enjoyed a leisurely drive home again.

'Road Conditions'? Well I would say they seem to be slightly icy.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:49 PM

473 posts, read 714,713 times
6:40pm sunday night. been snowing all day. temps started out at 16 this morning, warmed up quickly to upper 20's and is currently 33- hit the freezing mark just a bit ago.
the boys went out before dark to make a pass thru with the plows- was so light and fluffy, had no troubles moving it around (1 boy forgot to put his four wheeler in 4 wheel drive and still had no trouble). they are just headed out now to make another run at it as the snow has gotten a bit wet and heavy- then they will leave it until morning.
hubby has made three trips to town today- two in my corolla (basketball stops for nothin in downeast maine!) only troubles he reported was the light snow covering the ice build up from this past weeks cold snap, hard to know where the ice was and made the ice a little more slick.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Traveled I-95 from Portland to Houlton today and saw 9 vehicles in the ditch. Couple roll overs. One pour soul flipped his 4 wheel drive towing his snow sled trailer. Wouldn't want to pay for that mistake. Can't say the road conditions were all that bad considering a foot of snow was falling. Way too many idiots in the left hand lane trying to pass the 20 car caravans that are plodding along safely. Almost all the vehicles were in the center median meaning they derailed from the unplowed passing lane. And yes, probably about 30 trailer trucks passed us on the way north. One law that Augusta could pass is to bar trailer trucks from the left lane when the 45 mile/hr signs are flashing on the Interstate. The caravans were traveling between 50 and 55, so anyone passing was breaking the speed limit, as well as putting lots of folks in danger as they spun out in front of the sane!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Traveled I-95 from Portland to Houlton today and saw 9 vehicles in the ditch. Couple roll overs. One pour soul flipped his 4 wheel drive towing his snow sled trailer. Wouldn't want to pay for that mistake. Can't say the road conditions were all that bad considering a foot of snow was falling. Way too many idiots in the left hand lane trying to pass the 20 car caravans that are plodding along safely. Almost all the vehicles were in the center median meaning they derailed from the unplowed passing lane. And yes, probably about 30 trailer trucks passed us on the way north. One law that Augusta could pass is to bar trailer trucks from the left lane when the 45 mile/hr signs are flashing on the Interstate. The caravans were traveling between 50 and 55, so anyone passing was breaking the speed limit, as well as putting lots of folks in danger as they spun out in front of the sane!
Kelly! That's an excellent idea!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Don't you have a bull horn? Couldn't you just yell instructions from your front porch? Or you could just go grab the Tundra and show him how it's done!
It was funny to watch. DW and I were watching and I told her what the driver had to do to get the damn car out of the ditch. Sure enough the driver finally parked beside the car and pulled from 90 degrees and lo and behold out it came. She just rolled her eyes and said Ok you were right! I said it was pretty much common sense and it was too bad the owner of the car had to wait 2 1/2 hours for the tow truck driver to figure out how to do it correctly.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have a 9,000 pound Warn winch that mounts on either end of my Tundra and have pulled more GMC's from the ditch than Fords!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine