U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,563,541 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone in Maine,

I have decided to be my own travel agent and plan a trip up the white Mountains in NH to Quebec and come Back down the Western side of Maine.

From the way the map looks, doesn't seem to be much in the way of roads northwestern Maine.

I would like some advice as to the best way to see this state.

We already know our route will be up the white mountains into Quebec.
How to come back is my problem.
Since no one knows Maine better that the ones that live there..I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks in advance.....Elizamary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,065,047 times
Where are you heading to on your way back (where is home?)? Also, where are you going in Quebec? (Montreal, Quebec City?)

I suggest taking route 201 from Jackman down to Skowhegan (route 73 to 173 out of Quebec City turns into 201 at the U.S. Border in Jackman) if you're coming from Quebec City. It's a BEAUTIFUL drive that gives you a GREAT snapshot of the Maine Wilderness and Kennebec River. Bingham, Moscow, and Skowhegan are pretty towns as well. Once you get to Skowhegan you can continue on 201 to I-95 and then home, but if you have time I'd suggest taking route 2 WEST through Farmington and then into Bethel (a beautiful village). Once in Bethel, take Route 5 South, to Route 35 South to Route 37 South (very briefly) to route 117 South to 302 South to I-95 (it's well marked and a LOT easier than it sounds). This will allow you to see the best of the Western Maine Mountains and the best of the Lakes region (you'll like Bridgeton and Naples). It'll put you on I-95 in Portland. You could ALSO take route 2 out to Bethel and continue on route 2 west to Gorham NH and then take 16 South all the way to Portsmouth NH (where you'll merge with I-95)... this will allow you to go through the Eastern White Mountains, Pinkham Notch, Jackson NH, North Conway, and some other beautiful NH towns... it's a good idea if you are heading TO Quebec via I-93... you'll se a lot of new and beautiful scenery.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,955,516 times
If you are just ducking into Quebec to say you did, head from Sherbrooke where most people speak English down to Herford. Cross back into the US and drive to west stewartstown, NH. Then go east to Upton, Maine. Follow Route 26 through Grafton Notch and down to Newry and Bethel. It's spectacular and the leaves will be turning in September. From Bethel take Route 5 down to Fryeburg.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,838,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hello everyone in Maine,

I have decided to be my own travel agent and plan a trip up the white Mountains in NH to Quebec and come Back down the Western side of Maine.

From the way the map looks, doesn't seem to be much in the way of roads northwestern Maine.

I would like some advice as to the best way to see this state.

We already know our route will be up the white mountains into Quebec.
How to come back is my problem.
Since no one knows Maine better that the ones that live there..I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks in advance.....Elizamary
We'll be in Maine at the same time. Unfortunately, we'll be on the east side!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 AM

39,326 posts, read 18,825,873 times
Hello Elizamary.....sounds like a great trip.....I havent been up this way long enough to add anything to the wonderful itinerary suggestions that Irfox gave you......If your not going all the way to Quebec.....I would recommend going to North Hatley Quebec (near Sherbrooke--which someone else recommended. North Hatley is a beautiful little town..with pleasant accomodations, resturants and gorgeous lake scenery....

Have a wonderful time planning and executing your trip!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,736,492 times
Have a wonderful time! I'm on the eastern side, so not much help from me--but I think you'll get great input Geocache if you can--there are tons over there!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Good morning everyone and thanks so much for your informative input

Elston not sure about Quebec now It is still in planning. I will remember North Hately. Sounds nice.

Molly........I need help with the eastern side too. We decided to visit Bangor as well. The trip plans are not complete and I'm still gathering all valuable information so I can put together a wonderful Itineraly.
My daughter lives in Kittery but she doesn't know a whole lot about the rest of the state. They are only there till June anyways.

Dramamamma.......we decided to do the east side too. What I'm thinking so far is to up the east side the go west Into route 16 and then south to 95. It is still in the making and we still may go further north into Canada. What month are you going?

Northern Main man.........Thanks. I'm making a note of your suggestions. sounds good.
I"m compiling all this wonderful information.
Can't thank all of you enough.
Have a great day all.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 AM

5,054 posts, read 11,145,218 times
What a great time to visit! Just be sure and let us know when you're going to be in the Downeast area so we can have lunch!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,838,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Good morning everyone and thanks so much for your informative input

Elston not sure about Quebec now It is still in planning. I will remember North Hately. Sounds nice.

Molly........I need help with the eastern side too. We decided to visit Bangor as well. The trip plans are not complete and I'm still gathering all valuable information so I can put together a wonderful Itineraly.
My daughter lives in Kittery but she doesn't know a whole lot about the rest of the state. They are only there till June anyways.

Dramamamma.......we decided to do the east side too. What I'm thinking so far is to up the east side the go west Into route 16 and then south to 95. It is still in the making and we still may go further north into Canada. What month are you going?

Northern Main man.........Thanks. I'm making a note of your suggestions. sounds good.
I"m compiling all this wonderful information.
Can't thank all of you enough.
Have a great day all.
We will be in Eastport from September 12-24. That would be a bit of a detour from your route(to say the least). Do you know exactly when you will be up?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
We will be in Eastport from September 12-24. That would be a bit of a detour from your route(to say the least). Do you know exactly when you will be up?
Hi Dramamamma........It looks like we will be leaving around the 20th of Sept.
Not written in stone and I still have to make hotel reservations but probably that week. Where is Eastport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine