Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times

Advertisements

Nuclear targets aren't really the issue anymore. A terrorist nuclear target would most likely not be a radio tower array. Those guys go for human kill, and gore that is always blasted all over the TV.

If we get a terrorist nuke, I don't think Maine has enough people to do carnage to. Now a government calling a nuclear strike, and the target list is on. We have several Navy bases here in Florida, and I am sure they are on the "list." I agree with Maineah, that VLF stuff is pretty bad. The long term effects of it are unknown. Try walking under a high power tension line when the ground is wet with a metal tipped ink pen in your pocket. You will get a warm and tingly sensation from it. Wear steel toed boots and you will get your toes tickled.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm still surprised we got this far in the thread without Point LePreau being mentioned....usually for us down here when an act of terrorism is mentioned that's the first place we think of, not that Cutler isn't a big deal, but I'm sure you can see the difference
Absolutely! When you're talking terrorism nuke plants make tempting targets. The engineers can step in here, though I think terrorists would be busy smuggling in enough explosives to take out the containment dome of a nuke plant. You're talking about 4-8 foot reinforced concrete. It would take a pretty good explosion to punch a hole in it. Chernobyl was such a big problem because it had no concrete containment dome to retain the radiation. Even if a containment dome is breeched and the plant suffers a partial melt down the hole can be plugged with concrete from helo drops. They could not do this in Chernobyl and it took weeks to contain the radiation. That and the fact the weather in this region moves west to east ,the Point LePreau plant poses little concern for us.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Machiasport is too close to the Navy's Ultra Low Frequency Antenna Array in Cutler for my tastes. The jury is still out on the health effects of this array. Think HAARP (Alaska) for similar site comparisons. I wouldn't want to live anywhere near it. That's just me. For study materials Google- Very Low Frequency Cancer. Lots of reading on the subject. Twenty-nine 1000 foot towers!
My family has lived there for many generations, my great uncle Carroll Ackley owned much of the land out past the barracks. As far as I know, they have not had any appreciable occurances of cancer or other ill-effects. In fact, the Ackleys seem to live well into their 80s. My great uncle lived to 86, as did his sister (my grandmother), and his other siblings...except for My [great] uncle Aubrey (for whom I was [partly] named) who was shot to death (in the year I was born) by his sister Iva's ex-husband because he was late picking him up to go clamming.

I spent a lot of nights looking at the lights on those towers and there's nothing wrong with me either...or me...shut-up, there is too, you're a sick puppy...no I'm not...you are too...

Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

I spent a lot of nights looking at the lights on those towers and there's nothing wrong with me either...or me...shut-up, there is too, you're a sick puppy...no I'm not...you are too...
Priceless!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
I spent a lot of nights looking at the lights on those towers and there's nothing wrong with me either...or me...shut-up, there is too, you're a sick puppy...no I'm not...you are too...[/quote]

LOL! That was great

Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Tears rolling down my cheeks! That was fantastic, thank you!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
... I spent a lot of nights looking at the lights on those towers and ...
Those towers serve a noble purpose. They allow communication with subs around the world, hundreds of men are living underwater recieving those transmissions, waiting for orders to come into action.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Those towers serve a noble purpose. They allow communication with subs around the world, hundreds of men are living underwater recieving those transmissions, waiting for orders to come into action.
I know, and I do not envy them. They live and work in a very unforgiving atmosphere. I've worked with RF and VLF really doesn't cause me much concern. Microwaves, on the other hand, can bake your brain inside your skull. I once turned an entire room into a huge microwave oven...

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Would it be too soon to note this has gone a little off topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine