Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

A fascinating article in Newsweek that my mother pointed out to me today on the Somali Immigration to Lewiston. It's interesting to see how national media views this.

I tend to agree that some of what has taken place can only be considered positive (particularly the opening of businesses downtown); but I'm well aware that there are negative aspects as well.

It seems to me that the author paints a rosier picture than reality shows. My mother (who only comes to Maine to visit the Bethel area from time to time) asked if I enjoy Lewsiton (noting that I'm in the process of becoming an Urban Planner). I had to say no. I believe it gets a worse reputation than it deserves from many locals, but I still don't think it's an exciting place to be.... yet. I've paid special attention to many cities rejuvenate and turn around; and Lewiston isn't one of them yet. It has a long way to go (in my opinion, anyway). But any positive publicity and attention for Lewiston is good, I can't deny that.

I'd love to see what (even more) local reaction is. Enjoy.

The Refugees Who Saved Lewiston
A dying Maine mill town gets a fresh burst of energy
Link to the article: Lewiston, Maine, Revived by Somali Immigrants | Newsweek Politics: The Obama Presidency | Newsweek.com

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-23-2009 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: removed copy right material

Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
A very interesting article....that I sent off to a friend who teaches ESL in Columbus Ohio .... many of her students are from Somalia as well.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
A fascinating article in Newsweek that my mother pointed out to me today on the Somali Immigration to Lewiston. It's interesting to see how national media views this.

I tend to agree that some of what has taken place can only be considered positive (particularly the opening of businesses downtown); but I'm well aware that there are negative aspects as well.

It seems to me that the author paints a rosier picture than reality shows. My mother (who only comes to Maine to visit the Bethel area from time to time) asked if I enjoy Lewsiton (noting that I'm in the process of becoming an Urban Planner). I had to say no. I believe it gets a worse reputation than it deserves from many locals, but I still don't think it's an exciting place to be.... yet. I've paid special attention to many cities rejuvenate and turn around; and Lewiston isn't one of them yet. It has a long way to go (in my opinion, anyway). But any positive publicity and attention for Lewiston is good, I can't deny that.

I'd love to see what (even more) local reaction is. Enjoy.

The Refugees Who Saved Lewiston
A dying Maine mill town gets a fresh burst of energy
Link to the article: Lewiston, Maine, Revived by Somali Immigrants | Newsweek Politics: The Obama Presidency | Newsweek.com

Todays Bangor Daily had an article that was somewhat unflattering about the somalis.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 PM

227 posts, read 415,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Todays Bangor Daily had an article that was somewhat unflattering about the somalis.
I was curious about this article since it was written by someone closer to the situation but couldn't find it. I did get sidetracked with other stories though. I glanced at the Sun Journal too but I didn't see anything there either. Can you provide a link please?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
The only link I can find from the Bangor Daily News is this one about a photo exhibit. I don't see the negative perspective in a photojournalist simply documenting the Somalis transition from East Africa to Maine, USA.

Getting here from there - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/93019.html - broken link)

Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I couldnt find it either....just the one about the exhibit that documents the Somali experience in coming to America.

I remember once more than a few months ago.....that I remarked that the the Somali immigrants, even if they were receiving welfare....would be making a significant contribution....welfare is mostly federal money....and since it would be going to rent and to purchase food and clothing etc.....it would be new money that would be immediately pumped into the local economy. ....I think the newsweek article supported my take on the situation.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
The only link I can find from the Bangor Daily News is this one about a photo exhibit. I don't see the negative perspective in a photojournalist simply documenting the Somalis transition from East Africa to Maine, USA.

Getting here from there - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/93019.html - broken link)

It wasn't a photo journalist report, it was about the somalis not being able to get jobs because they couldn't speak english. Something like 51% unemployment rate. An immigrant was quoted as, and this is from my memory, saying that it wasn't fair that he couldn't get jobs because he didn't speak the language.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
I was curious about this article since it was written by someone closer to the situation but couldn't find it. I did get sidetracked with other stories though. I glanced at the Sun Journal too but I didn't see anything there either. Can you provide a link please?

It was in todays Bangor daily. I've already burned it for kindlin... I think it was in the business section. It was a smallish article.

I couldn't post a link to save my life, sorry. stone age

Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I couldnt find it either....just the one about the exhibit that documents the Somali experience in coming to America.

I remember once more than a few months ago.....that I remarked that the the Somali immigrants, even if they were receiving welfare....would be making a significant contribution....welfare is mostly federal money....and since it would be going to rent and to purchase food and clothing etc.....it would be new money that would be immediately pumped into the local economy. ....I think the newsweek article supported my take on the situation.

I can't find the article in the online paper either.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM

227 posts, read 415,265 times
That's okay. You summed it up well enough. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine