Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 04:38 AM

290 posts, read 637,298 times

Advertisements

Farming in Maine a growing business | Portland Press Herald

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
There is even a new grist mill being built in western Maine.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
There's a farmers co-op being formed for WaCo farmers. There were 38 farms working together in a co-op in Aroostook county last time I checked in on the project. The days of people believing farmers in Maine raise milk cows or grow potatoes are soon to be over!

I've had a lot of questions about arsenic being fed to chickens lately. I don't know why all of a sudden this is coming to the front because this is not new but I'm glad it's out there.

There's a grains workshop being held in Jacksonville in late July. If you're interested in growing grains it's worth the trip. The soil scientist from Aroostook county is one of the speakers.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There's a farmers co-op being formed for WaCo farmers. There were 38 farms working together in a co-op in Aroostook county last time I checked in on the project. The days of people believing farmers in Maine raise milk cows or grow potatoes are soon to be over!

I've had a lot of questions about arsenic being fed to chickens lately. I don't know why all of a sudden this is coming to the front because this is not new but I'm glad it's out there.

There's a grains workshop being held in Jacksonville in late July. If you're interested in growing grains it's worth the trip. The soil scientist from Aroostook county is one of the speakers.
I think this is going to be the way of the next generation of the small farm...if its not this way already for them!

1. Join a co-op where you can negotiate the price what of what you both buy and sell.

2. Develop a niche product (organic, free range, unpasteurized, etc., etc.).
Focus on quality, not quantity.

Used to be farmers would farm as their fathers/grandfathers farmed....those days are gone. Some lament the loss of tradition, but the smart ones refocus and retool.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
I think it's very good that as the country loses it's confidence in the government and economic system that we've created over the last couple hundred years, we finally figure out that it's much better to get back to the basics. We need to work with nature rather than against it. Mother nature will win every time! ;-)

Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
thanks MW, i wonder who to call for the date and location.
boon.
Quote:

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
thanks MW, i wonder who to call for the date and location.
boon.
I pulled out my datebook. July 11, Jacksonville. I'll find out the time and where in Jacksonville it will be held.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
i will make a note of this.
thanks.

Quote:
I pulled out my datebook. July 11, Jacksonville. I'll find out the time and where in Jacksonville it will be held.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:23 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
i will make a note of this.
thanks.
Me too

Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I think this is going to be the way of the next generation of the small farm...if its not this way already for them!

1. Join a co-op where you can negotiate the price what of what you both buy and sell.

2. Develop a niche product (organic, free range, unpasteurized, etc., etc.).
Focus on quality, not quantity.

Used to be farmers would farm as their fathers/grandfathers farmed....those days are gone. Some lament the loss of tradition, but the smart ones refocus and retool.
ive worked closely and promoted many maine made products, some with good success,,,some not, most folks like the idea of buying locally grown and fresher product,,however, price is still a huge deciding factor, i pushed wolf'sneck farms beef (largest naturally raised beef company in the state)
many retailers across the state tried it,,promoted it,,but had a tough sell to locals,,,more success with touristy areas, came down to price, most primals were 4-5 more per lb, than thier primary out of state source}

some store owners i know allow the farmers market circuit to use thier ,,parking lots

one fellow in hallowell, started making his own bbq sauce, he bottled it, peddled to stores, kept growing and growing,, love the entrepenuer spirit!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: