Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Do you have running water, too?

Running water? Aw, c'm'on! Gotta go chop ice from the pond and melt it. Gets easier to chop come July. Ice is a little thinner then.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You can't compare a metropolitan attitude to a rural one. Tell anyone in any large city that you want to move out into the rural countryside and they will all more then likely respond with, "Why, there is nothing out there!"

Your opinion and feelings of Maine (or anywhere else) is just that, yours. You are the ones who are moving here, not them. Seriously, don't waste your time with what they 'think' about it (unless they are good thoughts).

When I was living in Minneapolis and began to let people know that I was moving to Maine I got three basic types of responses:

1--Maine! I've always wanted to go there.
2--Can you ship me back a crate of lobsters?
3--Maine? Isn't that by Cincinnati?

Ok, I know that the typical response (or thought) is going to be that Portland is not Maine, but just a northern suburb of Boston.......but......Dunkin Donuts are on every block here, in fact, it seems like you can't go two feet in Southern Maine without running into one. And.....drivers in Southern Maine will ride your tail even if you are the only two cars on the highway. People here seem to park where-ever they feel like it (although not as bad as it is in Boston), a posted speed limit of 25 mph really means 45 mph. Maybe in other parts of the state Mainers drive nice and cordial, but not in the Southern half!

The store/clerk thing is true. I have lost count of the number of times that I have been waiting in line while the clerk is sitting there have a full-blown conversation with the person in front of the line, and seemingly doing so without any regard to the growing number of customers looking to checkout. You know, all the guy has to do is step aside, they can continue the conversation, and everyone in line can check out. I am usually not in a hurry, but seriously, it gets real annoying. At the very least they could acknowledge that someone else is in line!

in the situation of being in a store behind someone talking with the cashier,,,try this, just start whistling a song, before or as they start talking,,,
this works,,you establish your presence, its usually annoying to others around you, and the cashier & customer in front of you,, wont treat you like you arent there,
and if, they keep talking,,whistle louder

Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
lol yeah,
(respond to them... "yes we have to milk our goats for milk for the "young'ens."
lol...great one! Don't forget to pick your teeth with your fingernails, scratch your armpits, and wipe your nose with your sleeve after you say it...lol...

Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
lol...great one! Don't forget to pick your teeth with your fingernails, scratch your armpits, and wipe your nose with your sleeve after you say it...lol...
That would be too redneck to be Maine, IMHO!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
in the situation of being in a store behind someone talking with the cashier,,,try this, just start whistling a song, before or as they start talking,,,
this works,,you establish your presence, its usually annoying to others around you, and the cashier & customer in front of you,, wont treat you like you arent there,
and if, they keep talking,,whistle louder
Ever notice how much personal space someone from "away", or specifically from the city, has to take up? I grew up in the city, so for safety's sake I am really aware of someone moving into what I see as my personal space. I can almost immediately pick out a tourist behind or ahead of me in line by how close they feel they need to lean in, reach over , or otherwise violate my space. Of course ,here in Maine my personal space has increased significantly over what it used to be. Move over, please!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 AM

143 posts, read 252,855 times
Whistlin' while in line....excellent idea....haw, haw....just might try it!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
I thought about telling Mom we'll be sure to put a heater in the outhouse before they arrive mid-March to visit!

I can relate to the space issue. I'm a very claustrophobic type. I had a panic attack in a store once, because the racks were all smacked together too closely, and it must have been 85 degrees in there. I overheat very easily, and it makes me physically ill. Brad had to get me out, and I've never been back into that store.

Here, we're pressed between TOO many neighbors. I look out any window in my house, and I can see clearly, right into the rooms next door.

This just does not work well with my natural tendency to run nekkid all the time! I've already been trying to figure out if the neighbors on our Canadian side will be likely to use binoculars. I hope not! I really don't want to cover the windows that look out over the river. I think there are plenty of trees between us and our two neighbors on either side.

We're SOOO anxious to enjoy some seclusion for a change!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I understand those French Canadians are real partial to showing skin. At least at OOB they do. LOL

Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 AM

467 posts, read 1,124,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Ever notice how much personal space someone from "away", or specifically from the city, has to take up? I grew up in the city, so for safety's sake I am really aware of someone moving into what I see as my personal space. I can almost immediately pick out a tourist behind or ahead of me in line by how close they feel they need to lean in, reach over , or otherwise violate my space. Of course ,here in Maine my personal space has increased significantly over what it used to be. Move over, please!
Interesting observation T, my DH and I used to try to pick out if someone was a "Mainer" or "tourist" when we first moved here. We were curious how people would know we were "from away" before they even heard our southern drawl. We came up with several ways you can tell. Some are more obvious than others, but you hit on a prime one! I still like people watching in Maine.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,350 times
I don't think it's a personal space issue so much as they are trying to use the person nearest them for warmth! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: