U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM

11,146 posts, read 11,220,222 times

Advertisements

seinfeld captured this, judge reinhold was a "close talker" .....so whenever someone gets in my face (too close) i back up like kramer did,,,and chuckle

Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM

722 posts, read 974,583 times
So far the only thing said negitive about moving to Maine is the distance. Not many are going to make that trip, northwest to northeast, and that could leed to not be seeing some of my friends again, and they know that and I see hurt in there eyes, but they are also happy for me, finding such a place I need to be.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:47 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,741,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overleaf View Post
Hey All,
My husband and I LOVE Maine and plan on moving to the Portland area in a couple years. Right now we are living in Boston, and we both grew up on the west coast. 80% of the people I tell that we fell in love with Maine and are moving there give me a puzzled look like "Hu? or Why?" People say things like "it is so cold" and "there is nothing up there". Hello! The reason why we like it so much is that it is a rural state, people are friendly, and they value a' live and let live attitude" that is hard to find elsewhere. I could do on and on about the reasons we love it there.. I guess I am asking for some insight into why people I have told have that attitude.

I love the Portland area, to me there is no place like it in the world. I guess people from Boston are used to being in a huge city, and the lifestyle that goes along with it. To each their own.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,871,519 times
Hi Overleaf: I can't blame you for wanting to move to Maine. I lived in Northern Aroostook County for 12 years and moved back to Connecticut due to divorce and needing a place to raise my son by myself. I needed to work and make decent money so I could take care of him. Did I like the move back here? Nope. I missed the people of Maine, the area, the quiet and the lack of crime. Did I miss no work, poor living conditions and possibly having to go on welfare, NO. Would I move back if I could...in a heartbeat. People are quick to judge lots more than just living in Maine and everyone has an opinion. If you are happy with your pending move to Maine then GO!! I would if I could. I have some medical issues that require me to be near Yale University and Yale New Haven Hospital so I am pretty much stuck here now. Good Luck and be happy..that is all that matters.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 AM

3,518 posts, read 3,507,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
That would be too redneck to be Maine, IMHO!
Okay, you're right - I'll give you that - except for the "wiping your nose with your sleeve" - this time of year, it's a given IMO...hee hee.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM

6,303 posts, read 8,162,279 times
When I was about 17, a very long time ago, we had an old geezer in church. After the service he was making a point about something and he tapped on my girl friend's breast. I reached out and tapped him on the end of his nose with my index finger. He looked shocked and said, "What are you doing?"

I said, "I am tapping on you."

"Why?"

"Because you were tapping on her."

I never saw him tap on anybody again. A couple of weeks later my father heard about it. He asked me if it was true. I said it was. My Dad said it was about time somebody did that. Personal space.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM

2,636 posts, read 2,084,299 times
Anytime the flatlanders ask me if it gets really cold in Maine, I tell them yes, but it is a dry cold.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,871,519 times
Gosh, I haven't heard that term "flatlanders" for years. Could never figure out what it meant once I moved back to Connecticut because from where we live now, I can see the whole city. You would get a nosebleed if you were to sit out on our deck! So, there are definitely no "flatlands" up here. Can anyone from Maine explain just exactly what flatlanders means??

Old 02-13-2009, 06:38 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,872,534 times
The term 'flatlander' is somewhat foreign to me. We've always used the term "highlander". If you weren't from down near the ocean, you were a highlander. I guess the term varies per different areas around the state.

I would guess that the term flatlander might have originally meant as someone from away? Perhaps someone that came from where the land really is flat? I have no clue.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,529,130 times
I'm at a loss too... mermaid you guys used "highlander" and we used "up country" lol... thinking about that makes me miss my Dad--I can hear his voice saying "oh, he's from up country somewhere.. don't pay any attention..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine