U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 8,123,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
When my oldest was 14, I VERY reluctantly opted to let her walk to a friend's house, only 3 1/2 blocks down our street. I could see her the whole way, so it would prabably be ok. I stood on the edge of the driveway to watch. To my complete horror, two blocks into her trip, a man in a brown pickup truck stopped and offered her a ride. I saw her turn and point to me as I started rapidly toward her, and he sped off.

That's where we live now. There are many reasons children don't get to be outside as they should, and it's really sad. We CAN change some of those and should!
I guess I need to spell out what I was getting at......................It's so nice that there are still places like Maine where children CAN play outside unattended. That certainly is NOT a way of life in our part of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM

473 posts, read 448,074 times
not while basketball season is in full swing

Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,684,561 times
do maine kids play out side??nope we keep them locked up untill its time for them to do chores once they are done back in the basement they go.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,883,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
do maine kids play out side??nope we keep them locked up untill its time for them to do chores once they are done back in the basement they go.
There's one way to keep em' out of trouble, Ranger!

I used to lock mine in the closet though.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 AM

2,059 posts, read 2,684,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
There's one way to keep em' out of trouble, Ranger!

I used to lock mine in the closet though.
i think every kid should come with a shock coller and when they screw up or dont do what you said zzzzzzzzap.and to let them know you are allways waching . zap them at 3 in the morning just to let them know who's boss.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 AM

89 posts, read 168,898 times
Growing up in Vegas I always wanted to see snow - However - no one ever told me that it was cold! What a disappointment *calls his therapist*

Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,103,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
When I was a kid living in Maine we played outside all the time. There were so many ponds and lakes to go ice skating on. Good memories !
I was never inside unless it was a rainstorm or devasiating snow blizzard. I could count on my hand how many times a friend saw my bedroom before the age of 10. Kids came over and bam out doors was the only option.(mom cleaned and she didn't want a home destroyed by PBJ fingerprints all over the house.

My kids are pretty much good at being in and outdoors. Yesterday I had to beg my daughter to COME IN... the sun was going down and she was begging to slide a bit longer.

but... right now.. she's playing a game in the house.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM

33 posts, read 73,289 times
What a sad post! I read the first couple pages and related to every sentiment. Things do seem to be changing.

I grew up in Maine, and spent my entire childhood outside, from the minute I got out of school until dinner, and then out again until homework time. I remember staying inside--during the coldest days in winter--it was mind-numbingly boring! TV got old--all 3 channels of it--very quickly. This was in the 70s--no cable, no video games or computer. The only time I was inside during summer was when the Red Sox were on. My best memories are of exploring the woods around my house, riding bikes through fields with friends, etc. Everyone seemed to be more like Huckleberry Finn in those days!

Like everyone else, I've noticed that kids seem more sedentary now, or else more "managed" than I remember. Summer vacation for our kids sure is different, there are very few neighborhood kids that aren't always enrolled in some activity somewhere, or else "on the go" with mom all summer long. Going out in the morning when the bus is coming, you see moms lined up in their cars, parked in with their 4th-grade boys waiting at the corner for the bus to come, a whole 200ft. from their house. In perfect weather. In a great, safe neighborhood.

Kids seem to be overly coddled, and/or "kept" by this ever-increasing indoor/tv/computer lifestyle. It's sad.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM

701 posts, read 648,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i think every kid should come with a shock coller and when they screw up or dont do what you said zzzzzzzzap.and to let them know you are allways waching . zap them at 3 in the morning just to let them know who's boss.
I think there may be a market for this!

(from the mom of 5 boys)

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 AM

21,907 posts, read 28,804,435 times
Chains in the basement, shock collars for when they come up from the basement, and fed with a slingshot, does sound interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine